Is It Possible To Change A Will After Diagnosis?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I know that a house is regarded as an asset but I am considering the following mum and dad spoke about leaving the house to the three of us years ago. She died in 2008 and dad confirmed that he is doing the same. My invisibles are not being written out of his will and I don't think they will fight with me but after diagnosis is it possible to change a will slightly so that I can avoid conflict with my and keep a roof over my head. This should have been sorted out before dad was diagnosed but I didn't know about these things then. I have lived with the fact that I could loose the house but dad and I have as much savings as each other. This is just one other hurdle but as I have found the strength to deal with the other hurdles I will deal with this.

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You cant change a will that isn't yours.

Can your father, if he wishes to? Depends. Is your father considered to have lost capasity

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The diagnosis isn't the problem, but mental capacity is. Also, as Jessbow says, it can't be you instigating this as it could be seen as undue influence. This has to come from your Dad and be what he wants - it's his will.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hello Everyone!

I know that a house is regarded as an asset but I am considering the following mum and dad spoke about leaving the house to the three of us years ago. She died in 2008 and dad confirmed that he is doing the same. My invisibles are not being written out of his will and I don't think they will fight with me but after diagnosis is it possible to change a will slightly so that I can avoid conflict with my and keep a roof over my head. This should have been sorted out before dad was diagnosed but I didn't know about these things then. I have lived with the fact that I could loose the house but dad and I have as much savings as each other. This is just one other hurdle but as I have found the strength to deal with the other hurdles I will deal with this.

MaNaAk
Hi are you over 60?Oh I see what you mean,I was thinking of you asking for a disregard,but as you say you have siblings so things are more complicated for you,if you manage to look after your dad you would be able to keep the house if he doesn't have to go in to care

Last edited:

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
Others will know better, but if you're living in the house and it's your home, can a sale still be forced if your dad has to go into care? I thought you might be protected in some way.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for all your replies!

I've got all my receipts to show what work I have paid for where the house is concerned and of course I have been here for thirty-five years so I suppose they should take everything into account.

MaNaAk

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thankyou for all your replies!

I've got all my receipts to show what work I have paid for where the house is concerned and of course I have been here for thirty-five years so I suppose they should take everything into account.

MaNaAk

I know where you are coming from,I have been in my mothers home since birth 45 years ago,and the thought of perhaps being made homeless at some time is a real worry,being a carer for my mother I could do without anything else to worry about like this.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I know where you are coming from,I have been in my mothers home since birth 45 years ago,and the thought of perhaps being made homeless at some time is a real worry,being a carer for my mother I could do without anything else to worry about like this.

It is a worry but at the moment we do what we can to avoid this and try to carry on. I hope you can find the opportunity to have some respite.

MaNaAk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet