Article in Daily Mail by Sarah Vine

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
there will be nothing much left to inherit. Currently capped at just over £23k.

The amount left will be the lower limit of £14250.
Funeral costs have to come out of this unless a prepayment plan has been taken out.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I recently attended a County Hall Committee meeting, the same day that I was on BBC Breakfast TV. I expressed my concerns for carers in the county in which I live, as well as nationwide, to the Committee.

I live in one of the largest counties in this country with a very large elderly population.

Yet, I received an email from the Head of Social Care saying he was 'disappointed' that I said what I did. I also have it from one of the others on the Committee that he and 2 other (Tory) members felt I was exaggerating and that they felt there were only ONE OR TWO carers in this county with problems!

The Head of Social Care concerned is on a salary of almost £100 K per year.

My self and my partner have worked hard all our lives ( I still work from home) but because of the hand life has dealt us we have both gone from being home owners with assets to renting without any security, no savings, and living from week to week.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I recently attended a County Hall Committee meeting, the same day that I was on BBC Breakfast TV. I expressed my concerns for carers in the county in which I live, as well as nationwide, to the Committee.

I live in one of the largest counties in this country with a very large elderly population.

Yet, I received an email from the Head of Social Care saying he was 'disappointed' that I said what I did. I also have it from one of the others on the Committee that he and 2 other (Tory) members felt I was exaggerating and that they felt there were only ONE OR TWO carers in this county with problems!

My self and my partner have worked hard all our lives ( I still work from home) but because of the hand life has dealt us we have both gone from being home owners with assets to renting without any security, no savings, and living from week to week.
Good gracious me. When my husband had a dreadful accident and I had to call ambulance, the ambulance men said you are not alone, there are hundreds of you struggling like this. ONE OR TWO??? What? This is barking mad, I am so sorry. There are probably several thousand struggling in each county. Dear oh dear oh dear. Warmest, Geraldine

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
@maryjoan this must be so frustrating!! As @kindred says, I'd estimate there are hundreds really struggling in each sizeable local authority area, plus thousands who are just plain ordinarily struggling.....!! How can they think it's only one or two?!?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Freedom of information. I wish someone would ask the police/ambulance services how many times a week they are called out to help carers of people with dementia.
That should be pretty revealing on the scale of the problem and the struggle, I would have thought. Kindred.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I wish someone would ask the police/ambulance services how many times a week they are called out to help carers of people with dementia.

A quick generic Google search brings up pages of relevant FOIs

Here's a couple, busy now, may do a more defined search this evening

The charity sent Freedom of Information requests to 65 major English hospitals to ask about emergency admissions for dementia patients due to potentially avoidable issues – including dehydration, delirium, UTIs, chest infections and falls.

They found that the number of admissions for over-65s with dementia rose from 31,000 in 2011/12 to 54,000 in 2016/17.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ementia-patients-ending-hospital-care-system/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...2/ReplyDE00000924985.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

AliceA

May 27, 2016
When we married we bought a house as a
A quick generic Google search brings up pages of relevant FOIs

Here's a couple, busy now, may do a more defined search this evening

The charity sent Freedom of Information requests to 65 major English hospitals to ask about emergency admissions for dementia patients due to potentially avoidable issues – including dehydration, delirium, UTIs, chest infections and falls.

They found that the number of admissions for over-65s with dementia rose from 31,000 in 2011/12 to 54,000 in 2016/17.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ementia-patients-ending-hospital-care-system/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...2/ReplyDE00000924985.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1[/QUOT

Many thanks for that information. It will be useful when I next write to MP. Not this week, juggling with my own health issues while juggling with my husband's appointments. This is the problem for many Carers.

AliceA

May 27, 2016

I feel they have insulted you and all the undervalued Carers. I hope that as there are so 'few' of you in your county they will find funds to assist such a small number. Perhaps they could start by looking at the petty cash, the trips, the dinners, the travel .............. perhaps the local paper could shame them?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I feel they have insulted you and all the undervalued Carers. I hope that as there are so 'few' of you in your county they will find funds to assist such a small number. Perhaps they could start by looking at the petty cash, the trips, the dinners, the travel .............. perhaps the local paper could shame them?

I know, it's pathetic isn't it - but it was ever thus - no one understands how caring is the ultimate 'wearing out' situation that makes us so tired and mentally fuzzy ourselves that we cannot stnad up for ourselves.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Freedom of information. I wish someone would ask the police/ambulance services how many times a week they are called out to help carers of people with dementia.
That should be pretty revealing on the scale of the problem and the struggle, I would have thought. Kindred.
When the police spent ten hours looking for my husband a few years ago they said they had several such cases a week. Some of course end in fatalities. So there must be sooo many carers acting as prison wardens to stop relatives wandering and getting lost as well as the day to day caring inhouse.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
When the police spent ten hours looking for my husband a few years ago they said they had several such cases a week. Some of course end in fatalities. So there must be sooo many carers acting as prison wardens to stop relatives wandering and getting lost as well as the day to day caring inhouse.
Yes, in our area the police helicopter is deployed. And the ambulance men told me they get called out dozens of times a week to help carers whose person with dementia has fallen out of bed, many times more than once a night ...Why isn't all this known? Oh yes about the prison warden jobs ... Gxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep