Mum sleeping a lot

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Dear All
My mother has started to sleep a lot. Yesterday we found her in in the kitchen in total darkness. It was obvious that she had been there a while. When I gave her tea she dropped off immediately after and slept till it was time for bed. She has slept all night too. She is on Memantine and has changed the timing of the drug to night time because of excessive sleeping in the morning. I don't know what to do

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
I would consult your GP. The side effects of some of the drugs can outweigh the good they do. Also there could be another cause. Maybe your Mum has an infection. Hope things improve for you xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband is in his sixth year of diagnosis and is now sleeping more than ever. Fairly fresh in the mornings but as the day progresses I can see he is exhausted. I keep his life fairly calm apart from his day centre but make sure he has a short walk every day just to keep him mobile.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
One of my wife's meds is Memantine and she takes it at night. It's certainly a struggle to get her up and mobile in the mornings and she tires easily. I've read that dealing with the dementia exhausts the brain and that can induce this tiredness that can be seen as dementia progresses.

That said, keep an eye out for any unsteadiness when your mother is active as that is also a possible drug side effect with Memantine and would represent a fall risk so it's worth a chat with the GP if this sleepiness becomes an issue as any injury could accelerate the decline caused by the dementia.

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
Dear All
My mother has started to sleep a lot. Yesterday we found her in in the kitchen in total darkness. It was obvious that she had been there a while. When I gave her tea she dropped off immediately after and slept till it was time for bed. She has slept all night too. She is on Memantine and has changed the timing of the drug to night time because of excessive sleeping in the morning. I don't know what to do

My mum too she's had two utis over the last month and sleeping alot too. So yes I would check for utis. Mum is now on antibiotics and they really throw her. Very strong? They clear it and then come back. Went to bed at midnight and got up at 2pm today?? It's a worry but I put it down to the infection

Rollwithflow

May 15, 2019
Utis are caused by bacteria. Make sure the area is very cleaned always. Go the extra mile in that area. It really helped me. No more utis. Utis can become very serious. I also have lab work and urine checked every 3 months. This helps me know what's going on being he can't tell me.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @pkingstelly
a warm welcome to DTP
I hope reading around threads here is of some help to you

just to let you know that it's worth checking the date of the last post on a thread before replying, as this thread is a good few months old