Talking to oneself

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Having been a full time carer for my OH who is now in a care home, well actually in hospital at the moment as you know, and living alone, I keep finding myself talking to myself. Just odd comments. If I had a dog or a cat I expect it wouldn’t be quite so odd but I haven’t got one. How many of you in a similar position do the same?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Not quite the same situation but I talk to myself - and to my husband who died 2 years ago. I like to let him know what I'm doing!

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
My mom was an identical twin. So identical it was spooky, their grandchildren had no idea.
They both had mantle clocks, financially worthless, but sentimentally priceless. When mom died her twin treated me like a daughter, always had but even more so. It was like I still had mom.
The point is that I have both their mantle clocks, in adjoining rooms. I talk to them both, all the time, especially as they never chime together. No matter what I do, they won’t chime together. It’s like they do it to show me they are still here,with me. So important especially now when I feel I am losing my husband. Even now I can talk to the twins and they give me comfort.
Take care, B x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My mom was an identical twin. So identical it was spooky, their grandchildren had no idea.
They both had mantle clocks, financially worthless, but sentimentally priceless. When mom died her twin treated me like a daughter, always had but even more so. It was like I still had mom.
The point is that I have both their mantle clocks, in adjoining rooms. I talk to them both, all the time, especially as they never chime together. No matter what I do, they won’t chime together. It’s like they do it to show me they are still here,with me. So important especially now when I feel I am losing my husband. Even now I can talk to the twins and they give me comfort.
Take care, B x
Lovely to hear this. I have lots of teddies and I talk to them. Kindred.xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My mum was an identical twin too @Sad Staffs. My friends could never tell them apart when we were growing up. My mum also died first and my aunt filled her shoes for not only me but the rest of the family too. I'd always been closest to my aunt and we'd had a "mother/daughter" relationship for many years, even more so after mum died.

I still talk to both of them - mostly in my head but sometimes out loud. I have aunts granddaughter clock, which doesn't chime anymore. I don't talk to that though - maybe I'll try it :p

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I talk to myself all the time. I was on holiday recently with a friend and I was unpacking when she said to me put your hand up,if you want a reply. Why I asked her, her reply was, so I know when you are talking to me.

I was not alone, she too talked to herself.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Take care, B x
My sister is eleven years older than me but I do look a lot like her as I am getting older. When my grandson P first met her he weighed her up carefully and said “I don’t like your haircut Granny”.

He knew there was something different about his granny and to a three year old that was the explanation.

On the talking to yourself bit - I live inside my own head all of the time - being a Glaswegian though you can’t go fifty yards without someone engaging you in conversation. We talk to a ridiculous extent here.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
I’m so glad about this post, I don’t have to worry anymore about talking to myself, there’s lots of us out there :):):) A x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Strangely in a crisis apart from prayer, I found my self speaking to my father in law, he died when I was 6 months old. When in a turmoil about a decision that was good for the family but not me, he seemed to come in my dreams as if we knew each other so well. Once I sensed him before my brother in law died, I rang to hear he was in hospital. Sometimes when struggling I mentally hear my self saying, come on Harry I need a hand here!
He died when my husband was very young.
My grandmother always said my grandfather was a great help to her after he died, he had been very poorly since being gassed in WW1.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@AliceA that is interesting. My father was killed in an accident when I was eight months old. I have only one photo taken with him. I always felt his reassuring presence until I reached my late thirties and was very unhappy at work. I wondered if he had decided I had to do without him because his presence disappeared never to be felt again. I survived the minor crisis but feel quite sad he is truly gone.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
@AliceA that is interesting. My father was killed in an accident when I was eight months old. I have only one photo taken with him. I always felt his reassuring presence until I reached my late thirties and was very unhappy at work. I wondered if he had decided I had to do without him because his presence disappeared never to be felt again. I survived the minor crisis but feel quite sad he is truly gone.
Yes, it is strange. Sometimes I feel that somehow Harry handed on the baton of care, I only sense him when his two sons were involved.
I sensed my grandfather when I was 10, I remember this as clearly as if yesterday. My mother used to visit psychics, I remember once as a 13/14 year old asking her why, I also asked why she needed to do so.
I have always found when I have a deep problem I ask God and a book or person suddenly provides an answer.
Most things I think of as lessons, this is probably telling me not to be so independent! I do try to cope even when against the grain!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, it is strange. Sometimes I feel that somehow Harry handed on the baton of care, I only sense him when his two sons were involved.
I sensed my grandfather when I was 10, I remember this as clearly as if yesterday. My mother used to visit psychics, I remember once as a 13/14 year old asking her why, I also asked why she needed to do so.
I have always found when I have a deep problem I ask God and a book or person suddenly provides an answer.
Most things I think of as lessons, this is probably telling me not to be so independent! I do try to cope even when against the grain!
The word Pride has come into my head, ouch! One of the deadly!

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I’m so glad about this post, I don’t have to worry anymore about talking to myself, there’s lots of us out there :):):) A x

THis is 'Spooky' I haven;t been onTP a while
I have just posted the following on another forum
Do You Talk to Yourself????????
I often envy people with dogs, It gives them a good excuse to talk to themselves
When you live on your own it seems natural to me that I will speak what I am thinking
So for example I say’s to myself ‘Right I’ll put the kettle on ‘
Where is all this leading up to ??????
I am rather deaf and wear two hearing aids
When the battery is running out a voice in the hearing aid says repeatedly “Battery Low -Battery Low “and it gets very irritating I will often growl “ all right I B heard you”
Yesterday while walking up the street the aid starts “ Battery —————etc “
subconsciously I mutter “ all-right I B heard you “ when a voice behind me said
Sorry sir I didn’t say anything .Are you all right
How can you explain to somebody that you are talking to your hearing aid without proving beyond doubt that I am a doddery old sod
Such is life

AliceA

May 27, 2016
THis is 'Spooky' I haven;t been onTP a while
I have just posted the following on another forum
Do You Talk to Yourself????????
I often envy people with dogs, It gives them a good excuse to talk to themselves
When you live on your own it seems natural to me that I will speak what I am thinking
So for example I say’s to myself ‘Right I’ll put the kettle on ‘
Where is all this leading up to ??????
I am rather deaf and wear two hearing aids
When the battery is running out a voice in the hearing aid says repeatedly “Battery Low -Battery Low “and it gets very irritating I will often growl “ all right I B heard you”
Yesterday while walking up the street the aid starts “ Battery —————etc “
subconsciously I mutter “ all-right I B heard you “ when a voice behind me said
Sorry sir I didn’t say anything .Are you all right
How can you explain to somebody that you are talking to your hearing aid without proving beyond doubt that I am a doddery old sod
Such is life
Made me smile!

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
I talk to myself aswell, but not out loud it's usually to my dad who died 48years ago, 3 months after I got married I also talk to my lovely son in law who died 7 years ago, perhaps I'm not going mad after all. Lx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I've always talked to myself. My work mates are used to me babbling on. At home I at least have the excuse that I'm talking to my cats.

Sometimes when I'm really wrapped up in my thoughts, my lips will move although I don't vocalize. Rudi will pipe up with "Who are you talking to? You're having quite the conversation!"

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh yes, I read for words of wisdom in situations. I think I scour all printed material for this. As an author myself I know that writers often base whole books around a few words of core meaning, wisdom. My son and I used to play a game called, read this novel and tell me what are the words the writer really really wants to say!
G aka kindred.xx