Dad's latest oncology appointment

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Took dad to see his oncologist yesterday afternoon. She said he is doing so well that she does not want to see him for another three months so all good for now. He has put on almost two stone since April and is eating like a horse at the moment.

I can't keep up with all of the goodies that disappear from his fridge overnight and have started to ration certain things by hiding them and only putting a days worth in the fridge or he will eat them all at once. He ate fifteen pots of chocolate ganache in one day last week. At 200 calories a pot that equals 3000 calories on top of his meals and other treats. I know it is good that he is eating but blimey that surprised me when I looked in his bin. He is also eating a tin of peaches along with a tin of custard every day, scrambled egg for breakfast and a decent dinner in the evening and the chocolate biscuits are disappearing very quickly. Last night he had fresh haddock with mash and cheese sauce, he scoffed the lot but there was three empty yoghurt pots in the bin this morning and another three chocolate ganaches had gone.

I feel like some kind of spy checking his bins everyday along with his fridge.

For a man with oesophageal cancer who had a stent fitted over 4 months ago I think he is doing amazingly.

He does not know why he had to see the doctor and I am not going to keep reminding him. He thought she was a very nice lady and he said he would go again if I want him to.

I am feeling a bit frazzled at the moment to say the least.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Blimey! :eek: Im not surprised that he is putting on weight!
Dont worry about "spying" on him - you are just checking he is eating well ;)
Rationing his treats seems like a good idea.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Blimey! :eek: Im not surprised that he is putting on weight!
Dont worry about "spying" on him - you are just checking he is eating well ;)
Rationing his treats seems like a good idea.

Yes @canary I think I have to, there is a difference between a good nutritious diet and completely pigging out on pots of chocolate. All of these goodies have been a boon in getting dads weight back up but I think he is overdoing the ganaches.

He would deny all of this of course.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
He's a growing lad, clearly! That or he has hollow legs!

Think its time to hid ea spare fridge in the garage, or somewhere, Whilst calories are good, he needs to eat other things- if the goodies were not there he might eat other things when he wants a little snack.

You must feel so much better that he is now doing so well. Its a difficult time for you x

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
Your Dad seems to be in a really happy place at the moment. I say if he loves all these goodies then let him enjoy them! I hope your brother is still doing his bit too xx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Your Dad seems to be in a really happy place at the moment. I say if he loves all these goodies then let him enjoy them! I hope your brother is still doing his bit too xx

Thankyou @KathrynAnne yes dad is really quite happy, we have had a good laugh tonight over the disappearing chocolate pots as he found the hiding place and surprise they have disappeared again. We are now aiming for eleven stone by Christmas and at this rate I think it is quite likely that we may even exceed that.

Yes brother is pulling his weight now and I am going away for the weekend with my husband for a short break. We leave Friday morning and will come back Sunday ready for Monday morning. I don't expect or even want a huge amount of help, just a bit now and then is greatly appreciated and will make a big difference so hopefully it will continue . I can't wait for Friday to be honest, we have a hotel booked in Norfolk and my husband really deserves a break as he has been ill a number of times this year.

We are going to do some nice walks, look at some rocks, a bit of bird watching and eat fish and chips somewhere near the beach. Wine may be drunk at some point and we have a sea view. Wonderful I have just talked myself into it.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thankyou @KathrynAnne yes dad is really quite happy, we have had a good laugh tonight over the disappearing chocolate pots as he found the hiding place and surprise they have disappeared again. We are now aiming for eleven stone by Christmas and at this rate I think it is quite likely that we may even exceed that.

Yes brother is pulling his weight now and I am going away for the weekend with my husband for a short break. We leave Friday morning and will come back Sunday ready for Monday morning. I don't expect or even want a huge amount of help, just a bit now and then is greatly appreciated and will make a big difference so hopefully it will continue . I can't wait for Friday to be honest, we have a hotel booked in Norfolk and my husband really deserves a break as he has been ill a number of times this year.

We are going to do some nice walks, look at some rocks, a bit of bird watching and eat fish and chips somewhere near the beach. Wine may be drunk at some point and we have a sea view. Wonderful I have just talked myself into it.

@Duggies-girl I'm so glad that your dad is doing better and that you have a lovely break planned. It sounds soooo relaxing, I hope you and your OH have a brilliant time.
All the best
Lindy xx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Duggies-girl I'm so glad that your dad is doing better and that you have a lovely break planned. It sounds soooo relaxing, I hope you and your OH have a brilliant time.
All the best
Lindy xx

Thank you Lindy I am sure that we will. We are so looking forward to it. Don't even care if it rains because we have a sea view and binoculars .

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire

Wonderful news @Duggies-girl! I hope you both have a lovely time and I’ll raise a glass of wine with you at the weekend xxx