No sleep........

julie8978

Mar 1, 2017
My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia 2 years ago. She doesnt sit in her chair for more that a minute until she gets back up again...and although she does take a sleeping pill she wakes at 1am and then keeps getting out of bed...its impossible to deal with and my sister who is caring for her is getting no sleep at all.....she is at breaking point. Anyone else experience this...any answers?? Help..

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @julie8978

It sounds as if the only way round this is medication but I know doctors are unwilling to medicate because of possible side effects.

The best way round is a happy medium and perhaps your sister can have a discussion with your mother`s doctor to see if there's any way to address this sleeping problem.

My husband was restless but not as restless as your mother.

I hope others are able to offer better advice.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @julie8978, I agree that a chat with the GP may help. My wife is most restless at night and anti anxiety meds have helped her sleep. She is still somewhat restless but not as bad as she was so I manage a bit more sleep than I used to get, although it’s still poor.

Now that you have started posting don’t be afraid to do so again as this is a great place for information and support.

julie8978

Mar 1, 2017
Hello @julie8978, I agree that a chat with the GP may help. My wife is most restless at night and anti anxiety meds have helped her sleep. She is still somewhat restless but not as bad as she was so I manage a bit more sleep than I used to get, although it’s still poor.

Now that you have started posting don’t be afraid to do so again as this is a great place for information and support.
Many thanks

julie8978

Mar 1, 2017
Hello @julie8978

It sounds as if the only way round this is medication but I know doctors are unwilling to medicate because of possible side effects.

The best way round is a happy medium and perhaps your sister can have a discussion with your mother`s doctor to see if there's any way to address this sleeping problem.

My husband was restless but not as restless as your mother.

I hope others are able to offer better advice.
Thank u...yes i will talk to gp...but so far they just change sleeping pill ...which doesnt seem to help.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
It might be worth asking for a referral to the Mental Health team. You haven't said if there is any obvious reason for you mum's restlessness, but with my mum it was because she was having paranoid delusions and believed that a neighbour was trying to kill her. Fortunately she was articulate and so the doctor could see the problem, and even then I had to push very hard to get them to prescribe anti-psychotic medication. This has made a huge difference to her and to me. She is no longer terrified and pacing all the time, and I now get some sleep!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Lack of sleep is so very difficult to deal with. I too think a visit to the GP is called for. It might take time to find the right medication, or to find out that medication won’t be the answer. For a while this summer, I had overnight carers sleeping in. They came from 9pm to 7am...and I didn’t have a spare bed, or spare room for them. I put a mattress on the floor beside the double bed my husband was sleeping in. I slept in the spare room....and I SLEPT! This might be the answer for your sister, for one or two nights a week.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
It sounds like your sister is in desperate need of a break. Could another family member take over for a couple of nights just to give her a bit of a rest. If that’s not possible could you arrange for your Mum to go into a care home for a few nights?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976