Advice please

LoopyT

Sep 15, 2018
Can anyone help. My sister has dementia but was at home. However her husband died so she is now in a care home. As far as I am aware there was no poa and no will. As her closest relative am I able to make decisions about selling her house to pay for her care and choosing her care home. Her husband has surviving siblings who have access to her home can I take control?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Only with a legal POA or deputyship I'm afraid. Next of kin have no legal rights as such.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to Talking Point @LoopyT.Can I offer condolences on the death of your brother in law. Sorry your sister's dementia means she now has to be in a care home.
I can't offer much on the practical side of your problem, but there are plenty who will offer their experience and the Dementia Helpline may be able to point you to some professional advice. They are available on 0300 222 11 22.

LoopyT

Sep 15, 2018
Only with a legal POA or deputyship I'm afraid. Next of kin have no legal rights as such.
Thank you for your prompt reply and words of comfort. I am more than happy to apply for deputyship as I want my sister to stay where she is. They are taking good care of her. I plan to speak with my solicitor as I am very concerned that her in laws may try to move her. Thank you