Nursing fees

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Just wondering if the rules have changed re nursing fees. On Monday Mum moved from a residential to a nursing home on the advice of social services. The new nursing care home representative has provided me with a contract to sign, she also mentioned that I should arrange for payment of the fees in full and the nhs will reimburse the £150odd for nursing fees to mum’s account, (as the system has now changed).

I recall my father’s care home applied and received directly the nhs fees in 2017 until he passed away.

I have emailed social services but have yet to receive a response, I know they are extremely busy trying to organise correct care for everyone.

Just hoping someone might already know about this and can tell me how to proceed. I need to apply pretty quickly if it is down to me as she has already moved in.

Any help is much appreciated.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Never heard of that arrangement, as far as I know Funded Nursing Care (FNC) is paid directly to the nursing home.
Has your Mum been awarded FNC?
If you want clarity contact the Clinical Charging Group (CCG) and ask.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
New one on me, as far as I know FNC is always paid direct to the home and may or may not get you a reduction in fees if awarded.
I guess the home want to cover themselves in case the FNC is ever withdrawn but before I actually signed the contract I'd make sure the FNC can actually be paid to you. Certain benefits like pensions and AA (for self funders) do still get paid and you have to hand them over to the home but I've never heard of FNC being paid that way.
My wife gets FNC but I've never been asked if I want it to come to me.
K

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Hi, thanks for responding. Not sure if mum has been assessed yet, I just overheard the social worker agreeing to arrange an assessment when we were at a best interest meeting last month. I assume she will get £158 a week as we had to move her quite quickly into a nursing environment. Her last home couldn’t manage her needs and the social services/best interest team/psychiatric team seemed to think nursing was appropriate.

She is still walking unaided (on occasions), but tells everyone she is definitely not ill. Her weight is diminishing weekly.

Perhaps the receptionist/rep got it wrong, I will check with the manager on Friday.

Mum gets the lower rate AA, do you think it worthwhile requesting the higher amount?

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Just to finish off this post.

I had clarification today that the carehome will apply for fnc and will receive it direct.

Mum will need to pay the full carehome fee including the nursing element which will then be returned to her once the funding is received.

The social worker agreed that this was very unusual and that she had not come across it before. Just have to keep an eye on things to check that the refunds actually arrive.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan