APPROACHING END WITH MUM : EVERY DAY IS DIFFERENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I did it with my mum now i will do iit for my husband....
Thank you. My mum has been in a nursing home for 2.5 years. She is end stage and I am honouring her wish to remain in the home and be made comfortable when the time comes. Everything is in place in readiness for this. I have always fought for my mum and always will if necessary.. She is receiving wonderful care.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hello my friend! How did Sunday go? Hope business was brisk?
Thank you for your message; staff tell me they like to hear mum call out (obviously not if she's in real distress) but what she says is so random and funny at times. She came out with a remark yesterday that caused my brother and I to do a double-take and then we just had to laugh. She was clearly telling someone off and called them a name we've never heard her use before. Nothing obscene but quite rude. I gather that's quite common too. I'm visiting this afternoon, like you, and I hope you have a positive visit. Take care and sending you love and hugs xxxxxxxx

I replied to you on my thread Lovely Jan! Thank you so much for asking & for cheering us on.
My mum always seems happier when we say we have had a good day & tells me that I take after my dad who was also self employed for many years. That’s her bit of clarity before she asks what I do again!
Oh @Jezzer - I have never heard my mum swear really badly but she has no filter with the dementia & calls the staff at the care home & the residents. She thinks a lot of the residents are mad & she is normal. God help us, sometimes it is quite funny how she goes on so I know what you mean. Our favourite carer was there a bit longer today & she is always having banter with my mum. Xxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Have read your reply on your thread, Thank You. Nice when carers have this banter. Mum can't reply much but it makes her smile xxxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Just popping in to say I am thinking of you @Jezzer and all the contributors to this thread. I smile and agonise along with you all.....it's so different every day, isn't it? (Just remembered that's the title of this thread......)

Didn't manage to see mum today but saw her twice over the weekend. Will try to get round to posting on mum's thread.....things change and yet don't change, I know you understand.

Love and (((hugs)))
Lindy xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Just popping in to say I am thinking of you @Jezzer and all the contributors to this thread. I smile and agonise along with you all.....it's so different every day, isn't it? (Just remembered that's the title of this thread......)

Didn't manage to see mum today but saw her twice over the weekend. Will try to get round to posting on mum's thread.....things change and yet don't change, I know you understand.

Love and (((hugs)))
Lindy xx
Hi Dear Lindy
Thank you.
I do indeed understand. We keep battling on don't we? Hope you are as OK as it's possible to be under the circumstances. With much love and hugs xxxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I did it with my mum now i will do iit for my husband....
Hello there. I just wanted to apologise as I forgot to say in my reply to you that I am sorry you lost your dear mum. I am sure you gave her all your love and care during her illness and were a wonderful daughter. And now your husband has this cruel disease and once again, you are caring for a loved one. I am sure you will ensure your husband gets the best possible care. Sending you love and thanks Jan

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Well my Darling Mum was very vocal today!!!! Most of the staff now know who the names she calls out belong to and a cleaner asked me if one of them (a sister) used to be naughty because "your Mum keeps telling her off!" I replied this particular sister was a bit of a rebel as a young woman, and although the elder of the two, Mum worried about her and "mothered" her! Ah, all explained! Lots of smiles particularly when I stroke her forehead. Left feeling sad, as I always do, but glad she is somewhere happy. Love to all Jan xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Mum sound asleep this morning and she looked pale and exhausted. A hand- holding visit in which I told her how much my brother and I love her, as I always do. There was a Bird of Prey demonstration in one of the lounges so I called in to look as I was leaving. Mixed feelings here as I believe wild creatures belong in their natural environment. However I saw manfred the Vulture and a Little Owl named Luka who was gorgeous and I stroked his back. Beautiful. Last year mum was doing the same and thoroughly enjoyed it. So sad to see how this illness has changed her. She's barely eating and is so thin. I'm not going to post for a little while folks. Sending Love and Hugs to you all. Jan xxx

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Mum sound asleep this morning and she looked pale and exhausted. A hand- holding visit in which I told her how much my brother and I love her, as I always do. There was a Bird of Prey demonstration in one of the lounges so I called in to look as I was leaving. Mixed feelings here as I believe wild creatures belong in their natural environment. However I saw manfred the Vulture and a Little Owl named Luka who was gorgeous and I stroked his back. Beautiful. Last year mum was doing the same and thoroughly enjoyed it. So sad to see how this illness has changed her. She's barely eating and is so thin. I'm not going to post for a little while folks. Sending Love and Hugs to you all. Jan xxx
Thinking of you and your lovely mum Jan,. Hope things can be as calm as possible. Sending love and a hug right back - Julie xxxxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds

So sorry to hear that your mum seems exhausted and pale Jan @Jezzer :(
Will be thinking of you, your dear mum and your brother and sending you love and (((hugs)))
Take care
Love
Lindy xxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Morning all.

Firstly, apologies in advance for what I'm about to say. It's been bugging me for ages and since TP is a forum that allows us to "vent" or "rant", thats what I'm going to do. I had thought about starting a new Thread but quickly changed my mind. Of late, there have been a few threads on TP that have caused great distress, veered widely off track and ended badly, helping no one concerned with this disease. This is MY personal view, I take ownership for it and there is no requirement for replies. Please just allow me to rid myself of this:

" Journey". Oh how I loathe the use of this word when describing the horror that is this disease. My mother is in what seems an endless "final stage" of this disease which I find almost unbearable to witness. My god, how she would hate having her bottom wiped, vomit cleaned up etc and hearing herself call out nonsense all day and night. She is not, nor has she been, on a (I want to swear but am not allowed though god knows I reckon this warrants it) a "journey". This is not the stupid X-factor or Strictly Come Dancing where contestants gushingly describe their stupid "journey". This is and has been, for my precious, loving, kindly, mother, sheer hell. She has a progressive, terminal disease that is eating away at her brain and which has robbed her of her dignity. "Journey" .Really everyone? Really? No, no, no. Dress it up all you like, if you must, but don't insult my mother nor her loving children. And don't tell me its just a "turn of phrase" . It's a bad, bad choice if so. This bit is deeply personal and I share it hesitantly but share it I will. My only consolation is my firm and unshakeable belief that when mum's heart beats for the last time, a new home awaits, free of all ills, full of eternal joy. God knows she has earned it.

"God, she's angry this morning" I can hear some say. Yes I am. Oh yes, I am.

I repeat, this is MY personal view. If you don't like it, you dont like it.

Thank you for letting me offload.

Jezzer.

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Morning all.

Firstly, apologies in advance for what I'm about to say. It's been bugging me for ages and since TP is a forum that allows us to "vent" or "rant", thats what I'm going to do. I had thought about starting a new Thread but quickly changed my mind. Of late, there have been a few threads on TP that have caused great distress, veered widely off track and ended badly, helping no one concerned with this disease. This is MY personal view, I take ownership for it and there is no requirement for replies. Please just allow me to rid myself of this:

" Journey". Oh how I loathe the use of this word when describing the horror that is this disease. My mother is in what seems an endless "final stage" of this disease which I find almost unbearable to witness. My god, how she would hate having her bottom wiped, vomit cleaned up etc and hearing herself call out nonsense all day and night. She is not, nor has she been, on a (I want to swear but am not allowed though god knows I reckon this warrants it) a "journey". This is not the stupid X-factor or Strictly Come Dancing where contestants gushingly describe their stupid "journey". This is and has been, for my precious, loving, kindly, mother, sheer hell. She has a progressive, terminal disease that is eating away at her brain and which has robbed her of her dignity. "Journey" .Really everyone? Really? No, no, no. Dress it up all you like, if you must, but don't insult my mother nor her loving children. And don't tell me its just a "turn of phrase" . It's a bad, bad choice if so. This bit is deeply personal and I share it hesitantly but share it I will. My only consolation is my firm and unshakeable belief that when mum's heart beats for the last time, a new home awaits, free of all ills, full of eternal joy. God knows she has earned it.

Thank you for letting me offload.

Jezzer.
Hi Jan, you have been in my thoughts this week and when I realised you had posted today I thought the horrendous suffering was over. I endorse your every word. Maybe someone who has no experience of the horror that is Alzheimer's would describe the terrible situations we are in as such a "journey". They need to open their eyes and connect with us all. On Friday (a particularly awful day for mum and me) I wanted to run outside and scream at anyone who might just listen. I wanted to storm parliament and drag the MP's into the care homes of this country to witness the real world. To add to it all I arrived home to find the monthly invoice for the thousands of pounds needed to keep my mum existing in this torment and suffering. Sending an enormous hug to you and your darling mum xxxxxxxxxxxxx Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
I completely and wholeheartedly endorse your views, dear @Jezzer.

My poor dad, who endured a hellish time serving in the Second World War, deserves far better than what he is currently going through. All our loved ones do. And like your beloved mum, he'd be horrified by what's happening to him, and what we are forced to witness.

I'm glad that you have a belief to comfort you. At the risk of upsetting you, I hope for a swift passing for your mum and my dad.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi Jan, you have been in my thoughts this week and when I realised you had posted today I thought the horrendous suffering was over. I endorse your every word. Maybe someone who has no experience of the horror that is Alzheimer's would describe the terrible situations we are in as such a "journey". They need to open their eyes and connect with us all. On Friday (a particularly awful day for mum and me) I wanted to run outside and scream at anyone who might just listen. I wanted to storm parliament and drag the MP's into the care homes of this country to witness the real world. To add to it all I arrived home to find the monthly invoice for the thousands of pounds needed to keep my mum existing in this torment and suffering. Sending an enormous hug to you and your darling mum xxxxxxxxxxxxx Julie xxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you Julie. I send my love and many hugs to you. I am so sorry about your poor mum Love Jan xxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I completely and wholeheartedly endorse your views, dear @Jezzer.

My poor dad, who endured a hellish time serving in the Second World War, deserves far better than what he is currently going through. All our loved ones do. And like your beloved mum, he'd be horrified by what's happening to him, and what we are forced to witness.

I'm glad that you have a belief to comfort you. At the risk of upsetting you, I hope for a swift passing for your mum and my dad.
You haven't upset me at all. I'm so sorry about your dear Dad. He absolutely does deserve far better. This is not a life is it? With Love and Hugs Jan xxxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Morning all.

Thank you for letting me offload. I know my darling, I know. It gets dressed up and distanced, like the word journey, which as you know, I too loathe and detest. I do not know of many human ordeals as dreadful as this for both sufferer and family and we have to undertake it largely without help for a lot of the time. I feel helpless to do anything on a larger scale, do not really know how to campaign, who would care.
I care, and others of us on TP care about you and your beloved beloved mum. I have the same belief about a new home, there is not much point to our existence and suffering otherwise. I am with you all the way sweetheart. My personal, heartfelt belief is that while consciousness gives the sufferer even a small amount of pleasure, then we as humans help maintain it. After that, I do not know why we do, except the ethical problems and accountability are too enormous. All my love, sweetheart, you know I am with you. Thank you for saying this. Geraldine aka kindred.

Jezzer.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank you my dear friend. This afternoon's visit was awful. I just don't want to talk about it. I know you will understand. All love. Jan xxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Dear Jan @Jezzer
I’m sorry you had such a bad visit today and totally understand your wish not to talk about it. I too often find my visits to Mum too painful to derive any benefit from discussing them.

I understand also how you feel about the sheer hell of these last stages, and your anger at the way society in general turns a blind eye. I agree too with @YorkshireLass.

Yet.... my closest identification is with what @kindred says “my personal, heartfelt belief is that while consciousness gives the sufferer even a small amount of pleasure, then we as humans help to maintain it. After that, I do not know why we do, except that the ethical and accountability problems are too enormous”. So, like you, I keep holding mums hand, murmuring poetry to her and hoping there is some meaning to it all.

As to the use of the word ‘journey’, sadly my thread about Mum is called ‘Mums Journey’ . I have been thinking for some time that it is too light and banal to encompass the situation.....but I started it going on five years ago, when Mum was in the community and it didn’t seem so inappropriate. The fact is that I don’t watch reality TV, so to me it is about mums journey through life, and it doesn’t have any other connotation. I accept that in today’s society, though, and given mums progression, it doesn’t really fit the bill.

Crazily, this has upset me a bit, but I like the continuity of mums thread so after consideration, I doubt I’ll change it.....though if starting now, it would be called something different.

Love and hugs to you and I hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your mum.

Lindy xx

Status
Not open for further replies.