Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @melkin, welcome to TP. I hope you find this forum a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you don't mind, but I have asked the Mods to move your post to the more specific thread you created so that it can get better attention.

Mandotopia

Aug 29, 2018
North Wales
Hi, I look after my dad who has mixed - vascular and Alzheimer’s - dementia and have done for about 7 years, gradually changing work and personal life to spend more time looking after Dad and meeting his needs and keeping some form of quality of life for him.
I work 4 hours a day Monday to Thursday mornings - but spend the rest of the time with Dad, fitting my long suffering partner in when I can!!
I have many years experience in the care sector and dementia care, and I just wanted to let people know that no matter how experienced you are, how much training you have or what you think you know, when it is a family member who gets that diagnosis and you provide the care/support you begin a whole new learning experience!

Just here to let off steam and support others.
Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Mand @Mandotopia I'm glad you've found Talking Point and hope it will be as supportive and helpful to you as I'm sure you have been when caring for others.

We have heard many times how different it is when its your own and its good you recognise this.

Please continue to post now you have introduced yourself. Perhaps you'd like to start your own Thread in the sub forum I care for a person with dementia.

It is here

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

This was all your posts and replies will be in one place and easy for you to find.

clairabelle

Aug 31, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I've joined this very informative site as my 84 M.I.L is awaiting a memory clinic appointment. We are all pretty sure she has dementia as she is experiencing word finding problems,memory loss,etc.My concern is the speed of the deterioration which there has been in the last 12 months. Can any one give me an idea please whether this speed is normal or only found in certain types of dementia. Many Thanks to you all.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @clairabelle, welcome to TP. I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place. Now that you have found us do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. Do also keep posting to both receive and give support if you want to ask questions or just join a thread.

The answer to your question is, by necessity, a vague one because the fact is that every case of dementia is different and each person goes through the stages of dementia at their individual rate. However, there are some general comments that can be made and you will find information in this AS Factsheet. Just click this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/what_is_dementia.pdf

More detail on specific types can be found in the publications list that you can find with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Leeanne2018

Aug 31, 2018
Hi I care for my nan who has alztimers and would like to know if anyone know more about it my nan was diagnosed 2 years ago she is really bad she spent know who any of the family members are she forgets to eat and drink we make her breakfast and dinner daily but she is not interested in eating talks to dolls and the dog she hides herself away in the bedroom and death think anything is hers she also moves things constantly and her bed she has covered it with bags cases ECT and won't let anyone touch them only today when I got there she was on the floor and once I got her up she was shouting at me saying I have been here 2 year and the dog wouldn't get me a drink she is also weeing in a bin in her bedroom as well as pooing is there anyone who is going thro something like this anythin would be great to know more

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Leeanne2018 welcome to tp, it sounds like you are having a very difficult time with your Nan at the moment
As you are asking for more information about Alzheimer’s I have put the link in for you to the Alzheimer’s society’s factsheets so you can perhaps learn a little more
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list
You may also learn a lot from reading other members posts
I hope the forum is a help to you

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Leeanne2018 and welcome from me too.

I'm sorry that things are so bad for your but I'm glad you found this forum. I'm sure you will get lots of help and support here.

Now that you've introduced yourself here you might want to think about starting your own discussion thread. Some members like to do this so that more people will see their posts. It's a good way to keep your thoughts all in one area and also to keep your replies together.

If you think you would like to do that just click on this link and you get to this area of the forum -

I care for a person with dementia

At the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this.

Add a discussion title and below and then that's you all set to start your thread.

DeniseDC

Sep 2, 2018
Hello, everyone. New here, across the pond on East Coast of USA. My Celtic ancestry lead somewhat lead me here.
As POA & primary caregiver of now advanced stage ALZ F in her mid 70s. Her family abandoned, stole from her(& me too) to point of poverty level. Very hard to get affordable legal help.

DeniseDC

Sep 2, 2018
P.S. Read the older post re: putting themselves on floor- been dealing w it for about 6 times in as many months. She refuses to sit up or help upright herself. Gave her pillows & an hr later was able to move her first to chair then to bed. Nurses tell me no mobile now just bed. I can live with that. It wasn't pretty today!

suchacrueldisease

Sep 2, 2018
Hello All,
My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer disease approx. 12 months ago and is currently in an amazing Dementia Care Home.
Over the past couple of weeks, Mum's condition has deteriorated very quickly and she has become aggressive, withdrawn and after visits from family yesterday and today we have noticed that Mum's head is down and almost on her chest.
A GP was called last week and suggested a medication review, which we are still waiting for the revised prescription.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
We are a large family and are all desperate to get Mum to feel more content, for her sake, and also my 86 year old Dad, who is clearly heartbroken and very sad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hello All,
My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer disease approx. 12 months ago and is currently in an amazing Dementia Care Home.
Over the past couple of weeks, Mum's condition has deteriorated very quickly and she has become aggressive, withdrawn and after visits from family yesterday and today we have noticed that Mum's head is down and almost on her chest.
A GP was called last week and suggested a medication review, which we are still waiting for the revised prescription.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
We are a large family and are all desperate to get Mum to feel more content, for her sake, and also my 86 year old Dad, who is clearly heartbroken and very sad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Welcome to TP.
Sadly aggression & withdrawal are quite common with dementia.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @suchacrueldisease, welcome to TP from me too. This may be too obvious not to have been checked already, but has your Mum been checked for an infection, such as a UTI, as infections can cause a sudden worsening and treatment can produce a bounce back.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
Hello, my husband has Alhzeimers. He was diagnosed almost 3 years ago at the age of 67. Everything is getting worse but very slowly, so that sometimes I think it's not too bad and that I shouldn't complain. But then there are other times when I feel I really can't do this and it's just not fair. I was very pleased when I discovered TP, it's a comfort to know that others are also going through this.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @Justmary and welcome to talking point.

I’m sorry to read of your husbands diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll find lots of help and support here.

TiddyBarratt

Sep 3, 2018
Hi I have just joined this forum to gain and share my support with others. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's' end of last year. i am still trying to work out which stage but would assume late to end? Her mobility has declined since May when she turned 90, partly due to lack of fluids/food, large weight loss. In the last 2 weeks she has become almost bed bound due to her two carers being unable to move or assist her down to regulations which we find annoying as well as having to respect their own safety... reluctantly I guess....sorry for being horrid....but if assistance from getting up from an armchair cannot be done by 2 carers what is the point!!!
Does anyone feel my pain even though I understand manual handling etc etc there is so much red tape!! Sorry just fallen off my trail of thought through all the anger and frustration.
Now waiting for another OT assessment to assess if equipment can help her....or help the carers maybe.
My brother is getting her out of bed when she allows due to her bed sores and sores on her heels which are being taken care of by district nurse...... she is becoming a little aggressive which has happened before and grimacing in pain not letting the carers move her....GP can only suggest giving her paracetamol before moving her.....I don't know if she is in pain or her brain is sending signals......if we went by the carers ideas we would be calling an ambulance each day..... not knowing which way to turn anyone going through the same.....should I be thinking about residential care....or can anyone suggest proper nursing care.....really she is receiving bed wash, pad change and little else......she doesn't want to eat or drink without reluctance....all ideas welcome. Sorry for going on...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.