My husband's dementia

spo1

Aug 12, 2018
Hi I have been caring for my husband for 4 yrs now. At the moment he is constantly repeating the same questions. I am struggling to cope with this.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to Talking Point, spo1. I'm sorry to read you are struggling with your husband's condition, but you will get plenty f support and advice here.
There is a thread on compassionate communication which is easier said than done, but I'll pass it on and hope some of it helps.
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/
Do you get any kind of respite like a day centre ? My OH has been going there and has a befriending scheme one day a week which allows me some time to myself and that reduces stress very well.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi I have been caring for my husband for 4 yrs now. At the moment he is constantly repeating the same questions. I am struggling to cope with this.
Hi, and welcome! This is a difficult one, my daughter gets married this week, and the questions from my OH are relentless, where , when, how many people etc etc, hour after hour. When first diagnosed, I used to get really uptight, but now, I almost answer automatically. I would say it gets easier, but it is what it is.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, welcome from me too! I did try writing answers to repeated questions, which worked for a short while, but it really depends at what stage the dementia is. It seems like the questions are a form of anxiety, a way of controlling a world that is constantly confusing. I found it much easier to deal with this behaviour once I had seen ascan of my husband’s brain. I could see the damage, and it helped me to be more patient. I’m not saying for a moment that I am always patient ... I get it right some of the time, and feel guilty when I don’t. But the good thing about the members on Talking Point is that they understand and don’t judge.