The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers But What's My Excuse!

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hi, what a lovely thing to do, I’m sure all the residents really appreciated it even if your dad tried to move you, lol. How’s your dad doing in the care home, is he still settling in ok? Elle x

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello MaNaAk
How strange - I just thought about you when I was on TP this morning and wondered how you and your dad were doing.
What a lovely idea to play at you dad’s care home. It does sound as if he’s settled in well. He certainly seems to be trying to settle you in too!
I do hope you’re doing OK. It’s a difficult adjustment but you know it was the right thing to do for you both.
Best wishes
Denise

Thankyou Denise!

Dad's told me that there's room for me as well! I hope your mum's okay and that you're adjusting as well. On Saturday I go on holiday and yes my brothers are concerned about how I'm going to pay the bills. However this is a new chapter and dad and I couldn't really go on as we were. I hope you enjoyed Wimbledon and I must admit I prefer Wimbledon to football. I was also secure in the knowledge that dad was watching his favourite sports at the home although England didn't win.

I think both you and I are lucky that we have found such wonderful homes for our loved ones and in my case dad is only ten minutes walk away.

Bye for now

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi, what a lovely thing to do, I’m sure all the residents really appreciated it even if your dad tried to move you, lol. How’s your dad doing in the care home, is he still settling in ok? Elle x

Dear Elle,

Yes! Dad's doing very well and I have worked out which lady is dad's special admirer. After having played Vivaldi and some Malay folk songs I played some our traditional folk songs and when it came to 'Barwick Green' (the Archers) one lady said that's from a radio programme! I also played some Louis Armstrong numbers and some of the residents were joining in by clapping and singing. One lady sounded very operatic and next time I'm going to ask her if she was ever a member of a choir.

I hope your dad is okay and I've been reading your posts as well.

Bye for now

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Do your PWDs who are in a care home have a room with an ensuite? Dad does and light switch is on the outside. There have been a few times when I have been caught out. Last time I was sitting on the toilet seat when he turned the light out. I banged on the door and he turned it on again but we had to repeat everything all over again. It is very difficult going to the toilet in the dark. When I finally managed to finish going to the toilet I opened the door and cuddled dad saying it was difficult going to the toilet in the dark!

MaNaAk

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Hello Everyone!

Do your PWDs who are in a care home have a room with an ensuite? Dad does and light switch is on the outside. There have been a few times when I have been caught out. Last time I was sitting on the toilet seat when he turned the light out. I banged on the door and he turned it on again but we had to repeat everything all over again. It is very difficult going to the toilet in the dark. When I finally managed to finish going to the toilet I opened the door and cuddled dad saying it was difficult going to the toilet in the dark!

MaNaAk
Maybe take a torch with you next time?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I was going to log in later but I felt I had to let you all know about the phone call I made to the home this morning. It was so cold that I decided to them up and ask them to check that dad is wearing his long John's but it was decided that was very warm and comfortable sitting in the lounge (I forget that the home has the heating on 24/7).

Anyway I then asked how dad was and they said that he was okay apart from getting up a few times in the night (diabetes and Alzheimers). However dad had just had breakfast and a cup of tea but he forgot that he'd had tea and asked for another cuppa. Now I'm not sure whether they made him another cup but he asked for it seven times and then he became irritated when he didn't get them. I'm just trying to imagine the strength of a bladder with all that tea. The sunny side of this is that at least it doesn't seem to be one of those days when he doesn't want to eat.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

A lot of my friends will be aware that I am a Piano and Violin teacher but anyway yesterday one of my adult violin pupils asked whether a conductor needs to be a musician. Of course I answered yes but his question reminded me of dad standing in front of me whilst I was playing in front of him and his friends in the care home. He was motioning me to sit down in an arm chair and I was struggling to keep a straight face. This is a cherished memory of dad and I'd like to play there again.

MaNaAk

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I had totally forgotten writing that post and it made me laugh. These out of the blue comments from my husband were very much part of those dementia years.