Layers in this heat

littlemo69

Feb 21, 2016
Even in this heat my oh still insists on wearing pyjamas and socks in bed.....and covers himself in a 13tog duvet! is this normal?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't know what is normal with dementia, littlemo69. That went ut the window a long time ago, sorry :eek::rolleyes:. I know my OH rarely feels the heat even in this kind of weather, though she looks a bit hot and bothered so I let her sleep under a duvet while I sleep on top on my side. Plenty of fluids, watermelon and whatever else works are still needed whatever she says and I'm sure it is the same for your OH assuming he will drink.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Entirely. People with dementia don't feel the heat as we do - that's why day centres are always so warm.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Even in this heat my oh still insists on wearing pyjamas and socks in bed.....and covers himself in a 13tog duvet! is this normal?

That kind of awareness can often seem absent in dementia. Even in this current heat, residents in the Care Home will put on a heavy cardigan, oblivious to the temperature, or even a coat. Then the observant Carer gently suggests something lighter to wear, or distracts in an appropriate manner. Just as long as there are no real issues (dehydration) then it should not pose a problem.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, same problem in our house. I'm similar to @nae sporran in sleeping on top of the duvet while my wife sleeps under it. My wife complains about feeling cold until she nods off, as I lie there wishing we had an air-con unit!

littlemo69

Feb 21, 2016
Hubby reluctant to wear shorts. Wears long trousers most of the time. Acually has short sleeved shirt on today, and no jumper!!

littlemo69

Feb 21, 2016
That kind of awareness can often seem absent in dementia. Even in this current heat, residents in the Care Home will put on a heavy cardigan, oblivious to the temperature, or even a coat. Then the observant Carer gently suggests something lighter to wear, or distracts in an appropriate manner. Just as long as there are no real issues (dehydration) then it should not pose a problem.
He drinks a lot so dont think.he gets dehydrated

littlemo69

Feb 21, 2016
I don't know what is normal with dementia, littlemo69. That went ut the window a long time ago, sorry :eek::rolleyes:. I know my OH rarely feels the heat even in this kind of weather, though she looks a bit hot and bothered so I let her sleep under a duvet while I sleep on top on my side. Plenty of fluids, watermelon and whatever else works are still needed whatever she says and I'm sure it is the same for your OH assuming he will drink.
He does drink a lot but its diet coke! Has one cup of tea first thing then its coke all day. Tried to get him to drink something else but he wont

PetschekNYC

Apr 2, 2018
I have the same issue with windows - OH keeps shutting everything. Also wears several layers out on walks and insists on winter wear. What does work sometimes is saying certain things are in the wash and deflecting all reference to them!

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
My late stepdad - no dementia - was of the generation where a man wasn't properly dressed without a tie, so even on the hottest of summer days he insisted on a long-sleeve shirt, tie, and a heavy tweed jacket with usually a heavy well cardigan as well. He was in his mid-80's when he died, fourteen years ago.

Mum and I could be sweltering in short sleeves but stepdad insisted on being 'properly dressed' at all times !

Callie2013

Feb 24, 2014
Took Mum from the care home to chiropododist on Tues - sweltering day and 30 degrees. Thank goodness for air con, I thought. No, Mum was cold. Turned off the air con. Phew, it was sooo hot, I was soon dripping! Clutching her top to her throat, she announced-she was frozen, it was such a cold day. Hmmmm.... OK, heated seat on high and she seemed to gradually warm up.

G&D

Jul 18, 2018
Weird isn’t it. Ray has the shower turned up far too high for me and, even in this weather, the nurses say his hands are cold. He goes to bed fully clothed with a duvet whereas I ..... don’t!

Debs42

Jan 27, 2013
I'm glad it isn't just me. My husband will sit in his coat, in this heat with the windows closed - you would think he was boiling, but he says he is quite comfortable! Sometimes he will take off a layer if you suggest it gently, but sometimes not. I think its a psychological comfort blanket sometimes

littlemo69

Feb 21, 2016
Ive just ordered some waterproof covers for his pillows. He sweats so much his pillows can be wet in the morning!