Quick question about hot weather

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
my OH was diagnosed 4 years ago and only deteriorated very slowly. He takes Aricept religiously. But he won't talk about his illness to anyone, so we don't. For the past two months he's been getting iller. Can't finish sentences, can't see things directly in front of him etc etc, tho in many other ways he's fine. But my question is : does hot weather have an adverse effect ? I'm finding him very fussed and flustered in this hot weather, and if so will cooler weather make him a bit less confused ? . Just hoping a bit, and because in future we could avoid going anywhere warm on holiday if hot weather might be a factor. Thank you for reading !

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
A lot of people don't like the hot weather and suffer concentration problems in it, but it could just as well be a downturn in his condition. Aricept doesn't work forever.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
my OH was diagnosed 4 years ago and only deteriorated very slowly. He takes Aricept religiously. But he won't talk about his illness to anyone, so we don't. For the past two months he's been getting iller. Can't finish sentences, can't see things directly in front of him etc etc, tho in many other ways he's fine. But my question is : does hot weather have an adverse effect ? I'm finding him very fussed and flustered in this hot weather, and if so will cooler weather make him a bit less confused ? . Just hoping a bit, and because in future we could avoid going anywhere warm on holiday if hot weather might be a factor. Thank you for reading !
Don't underestimate the importance of adequate hydration in this hot weather. Here's a quote from an AS Factsheet about the issue

"People with dementia may become dehydrated if they are unable to communicate or recognise that they are thirsty, or if they forget to drink. This can lead to headaches, increased confusion, urinary tract infection and constipation. These can make the symptoms of dementia worse."

Make sure your OH has plenty to drink, and not just tea/coffee.

The full Factsheet can be seen by clicking this link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...e/downloads/factsheet_eating_and_drinking.pdf

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
I find find I find that my mum who does not drink much loves good quality fresh pressed apple juice with ice in. perhaps your relative will drink this. Good luck.haygreen

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH gets stimulus overload and when the sun is very bright you can almost see his eyes glaze over.
But its more likely to be dehydration, which is renowned for making people more confused

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My OH gets dehydrated, and I cannot make him do otherwise - he is very stubborn. 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 2 glasses of very undiluted squash during the day, and 4 mugs of Horlicks before bed - none of it seems very hydrating to me - he will not drink water or anything with a meal.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Mum barely eating now but she is incredibly thirsty! I always encourage her to drink lots and the CH staff do too. She's always stocked up with juices. Fluids are vital.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I find find I find that my mum who does not drink much loves good quality fresh pressed apple juice with ice in. perhaps your relative will drink this. Good luck.haygreen
Ooh that sounds lovely! Will try it with mum. Would make a lovely change for her. Thank you!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad has a lovely selection of yummy smoothies in his fridge door, a carton of cold gazpacho soup that he can pour into a glass that he absolutely adores and a good selection of ensure milk shakes sitting inside the fridge on the shelf. The smoothies are the decent ones and the gazpacho was rather expensive but hey ho they are good for him. When he opens the fridge all these goodies are in plain sight, he can't possibly miss them.

So why has he taken to helping himself to my 99p bottle of vimto squash that I have hidden at the back of the fridge behind the butter and youghurts. He has been drinking it straight and now I have to hide it as it is the only thing in his fridge that won't make me fat.

I have to hide it in a warm cupboard. A bottle of vimto will last me about 3 weeks but dad seems to have gotten a taste for it and drank over half the bottle last night. It is not even good for him because there is nothing in it

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
My dad has a lovely selection of yummy smoothies in his fridge door, a carton of cold gazpacho soup that he can pour into a glass that he absolutely adores and a good selection of ensure milk shakes sitting inside the fridge on the shelf. The smoothies are the decent ones and the gazpacho was rather expensive but hey ho they are good for him. When he opens the fridge all these goodies are in plain sight, he can't possibly miss them.

So why has he taken to helping himself to my 99p bottle of vimto squash that I have hidden at the back of the fridge behind the butter and youghurts. He has been drinking it straight and now I have to hide it as it is the only thing in his fridge that won't make me fat.

I have to hide it in a warm cupboard. A bottle of vimto will last me about 3 weeks but dad seems to have gotten a taste for it and drank over half the bottle last night. It is not even good for him because there is nothing in it
Well that made me smile so Thank You! Wonder why he's "nicking" your Vimto? Maybe just keeping you on your toes! :rolleyes: xxxx

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Make sure your OH has plenty to drink, and not just tea/coffee.
Yes I've just replied to someone else about the importance of trying to keep cool and hydrated, especially in weather like this.
Little pieces of fruit chopped and picked up with fingers or cocktail sticks can help as can an ice lolly.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can cause symptoms of confusion, a change in behavior or personality, et cetera, in someone with dementia. Hot weather makes it much more likely to get dehydrated. (Especially when, like my mother, it's hard to get adequate fluids and watery foods into them.)

Other physical issues can cause confusion and all that, also. A sudden change should always be checked out as it's more likely to be something other than dementia (outside of vascular dementia). Things to consider are dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, constipation, blood pressure issues, blood sugar, reactions to medication, any illness including a mild cold, and the big one, infections, especially urinary tract infections. UTIs can be asymptomatic and can cause sudden, shocking changes.

I hope you're able to find something that helps. Best wishes

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Well that made me smile so Thank You! Wonder why he's "nicking" your Vimto? Maybe just keeping you on your toes! :rolleyes: xxxx

Ha ha Jezzer possibly, I wouldn't mind at all but he needs lots of calories, hence the goodies in the door and the ensure to catch his eye. My vimto is calorie free even if it is drunk neat, I have tasted it neat and it is disgusting. Oh well never mind.

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Thank you everyone, all very helpful suggestions, I'll try apple juice but not sure if he'll drink that, what he really likes is a whisky ! Also gazpacho seems a brilliant idea especially in this hot weather, also lovely cool fruit, which I'll try. I'll try everything but he's so pig headed ( always was) he won't do anything he doesn't want to. I do appreciate the help people on here give even tho I don't visit often ....

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Because Vimto is the crack cocaine of the soft drinks world:)
K

I think it might be @Kevini I have also taken to giving him cold soup in a glass with a nice helping of double cream because he needs the calories. He loves it, Broccoli and stilton goes down well as does butternut squash and chilli. Well this morning I looked in his fridge and he has drunk all the cream. At least he left the vimto for me this time.

Could of been worse, he could have had vimto and cream. Anyway it wasn't him, he didn't even know there was cream in there.:rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet