Day from hell

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
The day started at 1.50 am and OH flatly refused to go back to bed and stay there. Because he was convinced that I'd told him to be up at 2.00. After about an hour I got fed up with it and decided to ignore him. I took the key out of the stair lift and hid it. Sure enough OH gets up again and is going to go downstairs. When the stair lift didn't work I told him that as it was the middle of the night it had to charge. That didn't work so i gave up and came downstairs.

We had to go to the hospital for a fluoroscopy. Typical he didn't cough and splutter when eating the test foods but as soon as we get home .....

He's now started dressing and undressing constantly. So while in a state of undress he pood all over the kitchen floor. This is the first time it's happened. I clean it and him up.

He then started getting up and sitting on a different chair. Then the wandering around the house starts. He then goes in the hall and pees all over the floor. I send him to go and sit down while I clean up. He misses the chair, well he tried sitting on the small table between the chairs and falls. His back is red and grazed. Oh and he knocked a cup of tea over, naturally it goes everywhere.

And just another small irritant we had a drink at the hospital and I asked him if he wanted anything to eat. He says no so I treat myself to a Chelsea bun. I turn my back and he's eating it. Then complains that he didn't like it.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
My heart goes out to you. Sending you a big ((((hug)))) and hoping you have a better day tomorrow.

Manc70

May 30, 2018
S. Yorkshire
The day started at 1.50 am and OH flatly refused to go back to bed and stay there. Because he was convinced that I'd told him to be up at 2.00. After about an hour I got fed up with it and decided to ignore him. I took the key out of the stair lift and hid it. Sure enough OH gets up again and is going to go downstairs. When the stair lift didn't work I told him that as it was the middle of the night it had to charge. That didn't work so i gave up and came downstairs.

We had to go to the hospital for a fluoroscopy. Typical he didn't cough and splutter when eating the test foods but as soon as we get home .....

He's now started dressing and undressing constantly. So while in a state of undress he pood all over the kitchen floor. This is the first time it's happened. I clean it and him up.

He then started getting up and sitting on a different chair. Then the wandering around the house starts. He then goes in the hall and pees all over the floor. I send him to go and sit down while I clean up. He misses the chair, well he tried sitting on the small table between the chairs and falls. His back is red and grazed. Oh and he knocked a cup of tea over, naturally it goes everywhere.

And just another small irritant we had a drink at the hospital and I asked him if he wanted anything to eat. He says no so I treat myself to a Chelsea bun. I turn my back and he's eating it. Then complains that he didn't like it.
I’m so sorry it was such a particularly difficult day and hope for a better one today. Take care.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
What a horrible day, Wishful. Do you have outside carers in to help ? It would give you some support for personal care, and half an hour to escape to the garden. Anyway, fingers crossed for you and hope you at least got a better night last night.

vmmh

Jun 25, 2018
What a nightmare for you. I do hope things are better today and you are coping with it all.
virtual hugs.
mslomm
I feel your frustration and sympathize with you. I know how exasperating it can be to go from cleaning up one mess to cleaning up the next. I have three old dogs in addition to my hubby with early dementia. Usually while I'm cleaning up my husband's mess, one of the dogs will go to a different part of the house and pee or poop on the floor.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I feel your frustration and sympathize with you. I know how exasperating it can be to go from cleaning up one mess to cleaning up the next. I have three old dogs in addition to my hubby with early dementia. Usually while I'm cleaning up my husband's mess, one of the dogs will go to a different part of the house and pee or poop on the floor.
In his last year at home (now in nursing care) my life was completely dominated by worrying about OH incontinence ... what a thing to fill your mind with! Gxxx

teetoe

Mar 10, 2016
NSW, Australia
What an awful night @Wishful. I hope he has settled down now. My OH has nights where he can't settle, walks in and out of the bedroom, turning lights on, but luckily incontinence has not yet really started. In the morning I find icecream on the counter, outside doors open, lights on everywhere. If I can't sleep I get very crabby and one time told him sternly to get into bed or else, and he did! With his shoes on. It hasn't worked since and gave me a shock too! :D

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
What an awful night @Wishful. I hope he has settled down now. My OH has nights where he can't settle, walks in and out of the bedroom, turning lights on, but luckily incontinence has not yet really started. In the morning I find icecream on the counter, outside doors open, lights on everywhere. If I can't sleep I get very crabby and one time told him sternly to get into bed or else, and he did! With his shoes on. It hasn't worked since and gave me a shock too! :D
Incontinence may not start. A lot of the residents in my OH home are not incontinent. This leaving lights on in night does our heads in doesn't it?
Gxx