Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishkaz

Jun 19, 2018
Hi, my husband has vascular dementia for past 3 years he had 2 strokes which might have caused it, he has got a lot worse this past 6 months, now doubly incontinent and mobility very poor, first time on this forum so just wanted to say hello to everyone .

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi, my husband has vascular dementia for past 3 years he had 2 strokes which might have caused it, he has got a lot worse this past 6 months, now doubly incontinent and mobility very poor, first time on this forum so just wanted to say hello to everyone .
Hello and welcome. I hope you find the forum a friendly, informative and supportive place.

Have a good look around and when ready don't be afraid to join in threads or start your own thread if you have a question of just want to vent feelings.

A good place for a lot of information is the publications list, which you can find by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

PerplexedSon

Jun 22, 2018
Hi, my father has alzheimer's and has rapidly gone down hill in the last few months. His behaviour has become more and more bizzare, and my step-mom and I are barely coping

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi, my father has alzheimer's and has rapidly gone down hill in the last few months. His behaviour has become more and more bizzare, and my step-mom and I are barely coping
Hello and welcome to TP. I hope you find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

I hope you can find time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I joined I found the Factsheets and Publications area useful and in case you haven't found it yet here's a link to follow https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

To find support in your area you can do a postcode search here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

AicheeeT

Jun 24, 2018
Hi, I’ve joined this forum in the hope that I might be able to talk to people who are in a similar situation to me. My Dad is 76 and suffers from Alzheimer’s. He has recently had a short spell in hospital with an infection..this was traumatic for everyone as it really exacerbated his confusion- he was agitated, aggressive and uncooperative sometimes which is so unlike him. He’s a gentle loving man who wouldn’t knowingly hurt anyone. It’s heartbreaking to see him deteriorate like this.

tracer60

Jun 22, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum on Friday. My partner has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Reading all the different threads makes me know that I am not alone. I am hopeful that we will be able to get through it. I have been researching a lot lately. I hope to share some of my experiences as well as learn from people on here.

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
Hi, I’ve joined this forum in the hope that I might be able to talk to people who are in a similar situation to me. My Dad is 76 and suffers from Alzheimer’s. He has recently had a short spell in hospital with an infection..this was traumatic for everyone as it really exacerbated his confusion- he was agitated, aggressive and uncooperative sometimes which is so unlike him. He’s a gentle loving man who wouldn’t knowingly hurt anyone. It’s heartbreaking to see him deteriorate like this.
Welcome to Talking Point. I'm sure you'll find support and understanding here. Have a look through the forums for people who care for someone with dementia and you may find information which helps - if not, post something of your own and ask for help.

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum on Friday. My partner has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Reading all the different threads makes me know that I am not alone. I am hopeful that we will be able to get through it. I have been researching a lot lately. I hope to share some of my experiences as well as learn from people on here.
Welcome, and I wish you well.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @tracer60
a warm welcome to TP
you are definitely not alone, you've joined a supportive and helpful community of folk who do find ways to get through the rough and the smooth and share experiences here
looking forward to hearing more from you, so when you are ready, start your own thread and members will respond with sympathy and suggestions

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @AicheeeT
and welcome to this community of folk who sadly understand all to well the situation you describe
a hospital stay can really cause havoc on the constitution of someone with a diagnosis - I hope your dad settles more as he recovers
I appreciate what you mean about the heart-break - my dad now lives in a care home, very well looked after, but is a shadow of how he was - once in a while a flash of my dad of old shines out, usually when I have done something daft - and I am grateful for all the good memories I have; I know who he is deep down

Jeni-_M

Jun 24, 2018
My mother is 94 and I am her main caregiver. My once wonderfully feisty, intelligent, funny, kind, graceful mother is now a shell of herself and sometimes the pain of it catches me at the throat.
My siblings, who live elsewhere but within easy enough access to this town, have more or less checked out both physically and even in terms of picking up the phone to say hello (to either of us). After years of fretting and raging about this it suddenly occurred to me that I could find community elsewhere....By the way, I am writing from India....It's been wonderfully comforting and less alone-making to read some of the members pieces.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Jeni-_M and welcome to Talking Point.
We have quite a few members here from other countries and it is lovely to "meet" you. You might want to add India as your location so that people advising you will realise that you are not in the UK system.

Unfortunately, it is pretty common for one person to do the bulk of the caring and other family members just dont want to know - they are termed the "invisibles" on here. Fortunately, you are right - there is a lovely community on here, even if it is only virtual. Do join in with conversations and feel free to start a new thread if there is anything in particular you want to talk about

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My mother is 94 and I am her main caregiver. My once wonderfully feisty, intelligent, funny, kind, graceful mother is now a shell of herself and sometimes the pain of it catches me at the throat.
My siblings, who live elsewhere but within easy enough access to this town, have more or less checked out both physically and even in terms of picking up the phone to say hello (to either of us). After years of fretting and raging about this it suddenly occurred to me that I could find community elsewhere....By the way, I am writing from India....It's been wonderfully comforting and less alone-making to read some of the members pieces.
Hello @Jeni-_M, welcome to TP. I hope you find this to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

Unfortunately, it’s fairly common for carers to end up feeling alone because of friends and/or family checking out but you will find someone on TP at most times of the day as we have members in many parts of the globe. Do take time to have a good look around the site as it’s a goldmine for information. A good place to start is looking over the threads but there is also the publications list that can be found by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Mindgames

Jun 25, 2018
Hi all, I've just joined today. I live with my mum who has mild dementia. She's now 87 and wwe moved in together almost a year ago. Since then she's happier, laughs more and is putting on weight.
We moved here so she could be close to her othèr daughter and family. We've never been close.
Unfortunately, since moving here my sister's made it clear that as it was my decision to move in with mum that I should have no life! Mum only gets the minimum attendance allowance as she's not classed as needing care at night. My sister and I don't like her to be alone. I do get carers allowance but my sister doesn't think I should have mum's As as well. As far as she's concerned I've got a nice home thanks to mum (We bought it jointly) and as I'm not working I've got it easy. I have no savings and struggling to make ends meet, have no time to myself and now I'm being accused of being greedy. If mum had to pay for care after my 35 he week it would cost a fortune. Am I really being that mean wanting mum's AA???

Bendybirdclaire

May 31, 2018
Hi All, i’m Claire my mum who has just turned 77 has developed dementia symptoms which have steadily increased and worstened over the last 18 months. We are know at a point where mum is having constantly having hallucinations. We still haven’t had our official diagnosis, as she has just had her brain scan. We did see a private neurologist who said he felt it was Lewy Body dementia.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Mindgames, welcome to TP. I hope you find this to be a friendly, informative and supportive place. Do take time to have a good look around the site as it's a goldmine for information.

It's an unfortunately reality that family squabbles can develop over the arrangements concerning the care of a person with dementia.
I think the simple point with AA is that it's for the person with dementia to decide how it's spent as it's their money.

In case it's of interest here's a link to the AS Factsheet on benefits https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/factsheet_benefits.pdf

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi All, i’m Claire my mum who has just turned 77 has developed dementia symptoms which have steadily increased and worstened over the last 18 months. We are know at a point where mum is having constantly having hallucinations. We still haven’t had our official diagnosis, as she has just had her brain scan. We did see a private neurologist who said he felt it was Lewy Body dementia.
Hello Claire, welcome to TP. I hope you find the site a friendly and supportive place.
Do take time to have a good look around the site and don't hesitate to start your own thread if you have any specific questions or just want to have a vent.

The site is a goldmine for information and I think a good place to start reading is the publications list, which you can find by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Jessie1936

Feb 19, 2018
Hi. My name is Irene. Due to the death of my young sister I’ve (in last 18months) moves back to Scotland to look after my mum who suffers from Alzheimer’s. She had a heart attack and fall a year ago which resulted in 6 weeks in hospital where her dementia drastically worsened so much that she has come to live with me. (She is physically poorly too). She is 82 but since her fall last year she virtually remembers nothing - her home, daughter, family etc. She’s been fine to look after but recent week or two she’s become what I’d describe as depressed and thoroughly fed up (probably as much due to her lack of mobility as her memory). Would be good to be able to read other people’s stories and seek help and guidance when I’m struggling.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Jessie1936 and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm so sorry to read about your sister. How terribly sad.

I'm glad you've found TP and know you will get lots of help and support here. You might want to think of starting your own thread when you're ready to. Lots of members do this. It's a good way to ask questions, share concerns or even just rant and keep your replies in one place. If you feel you want to do this just go to the I care for a person with dementia area and at the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this and you're all set.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife