End of life

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Mum has had a sore tongue for six weeks so eating less and less.they treated her for oral thrust but now feel can be link to diabetes so poor lady wasting away.after just getting her in to hospital with aching back we found the cause of bad back pains is an aortic aneurysm .Due to her AL and age 86 the medical team feel it would be cruel to give her surgery .We can only go with there judgement .sad end to this terrible disease . MRI scan tomorrow waiting on results.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sorry to read this, I suppose I can understand the medics reluctance to operate that is a big operation.
I hope you get some answers that will help keep your Mum comfortable

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Mum has had a sore tongue for six weeks so eating less and less.they treated her for oral thrust but now feel can be link to diabetes so poor lady wasting away.after just getting her in to hospital with aching back we found the cause of bad back pains is an aortic aneurysm .Due to her AL and age 86 the medical team feel it would be cruel to give her surgery .We can only go with there judgement .sad end to this terrible disease . MRI scan tomorrow waiting on results.
My Mum had an aortic aneurysm - knew about it for a couple of years before it ruptured - they operated, but her heart gave out and she died on operating table - they had actually completed the operation successfully when her heart stopped. She was 91.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My Mum had an aortic aneurysm - knew about it for a couple of years before it ruptured - they operated, but her heart gave out and she died on operating table - they had actually completed the operation successfully when her heart stopped. She was 91.

Such a frightening event @maryjoan and an awful thing to have to live with. My mum had an aortic aneurysm but they would not operate because of her other problems. It ruptured one evening while she and dad were watching TV and dad called an ambulance. They took her on a blue light journey to the local hospital and then on to Kings in London where they operated and fixed it. She lived another 6 months. Amazing lady my mum and one of the very very few to survive a rupture. She was 78

I promised mum I would be tested for it. I will one day.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Such a frightening event @maryjoan and an awful thing to have to live with. My mum had an aortic aneurysm but they would not operate because of her other problems. It ruptured one evening while she and dad were watching TV and dad called an ambulance. They took her on a blue light journey to the local hospital and then on to Kings in London where they operated and fixed it. She lived another 6 months. Amazing lady my mum and one of the very very few to survive a rupture. She was 78

Myself and my siblings were tested shortly after Mum died - and we were all clear - but it is well worth doing - under our circumstances the Doctors thought it was essential to check us out...

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London

Sorry for your loss .Tough times for all involved i know x

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
well from being told that mums life is near the end .i read that people live with enlarged aorta .i go in the hospital to see mum, to see catheter removed mum sitting up in a chair feeding herself .still being given painkillers but seem so positive i was in shock . how 24 hours her condition swung around.just got to try to keep positive .

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
well from being told that mums life is near the end .i read that people live with enlarged aorta .i go in the hospital to see mum, to see catheter removed mum sitting up in a chair feeding herself .still being given painkillers but seem so positive i was in shock . how 24 hours her condition swung around.just got to try to keep positive .
This situation seems to be so common and I've said before it's almost as if PWD have an extra immunity against the process of dying. I was warned nearly 6 years before her death, when my mother was in hospital with an enlarged heart, Bradycardia and ongoing heart disease following her MI 40 years previously o_O, yes 40+ years, apart from the Dementia that we should 'just let 'nature take its course'. Which it did, but did take a long time to reach its end.

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Now i find out she has a UTI which could have been her pain and delusional behaviour.still deal with that and oral thrush .So wonder whether the aorta issue although been found and is a major problem was not the pain issue but the UTI? Gezz we all become buddy medics .

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Mum now not eating I fear the worse still in hospital .Next stop was respite but I don't feel we are going to get her there, worries coming now.

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
whilst arriving at hospital I got the call mum health had worsened the aneurysm had leaked and she passed with me by her side, her journey with Alzheimer's has ended and so has ours . God rest your soul mum always in our hearts. Dad awaits xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @Teddybear12 I am so sorry to read your news.

I'm so glad you were able to be at your mum's side when she passed away. As you say, she has now found peace.

Sending my condolences and wishing you peace for the days and weeks to come.

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Thank you for your thoughts one and all .Our journey was only four years and looking back to so many people here have a lot more difficult time/s than I ever had .My thoughts are with you all with this terrible disease and there love ones that care so much to give them help in there latter years. God bless you all xxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa