Do it yourself!

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
4 months since my mum died, I have finally received the remainder of mum's money and distributed it to the family members concerned. I have done all of it without resorting to a solicitor, from claiming attendance allowance to selling mum's flat, applying for LPAs, applying for probate, all of which involved hours of form filling, time and problem solving.
Mum's estate was not very large and there was no inheritance tax to pay. I had ben in control of her finances for 3 years so I knew exactly what she had, so it was all relatively easy.
I would recommend doing it yourself if you have time, but if you have a more complex estate to deal with it may not be possible. I am actually quite pleased with myself!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
4 months since my mum died, I have finally received the remainder of mum's money and distributed it to the family members concerned. I have done all of it without resorting to a solicitor, from claiming attendance allowance to selling mum's flat, applying for LPAs, applying for probate, all of which involved hours of form filling, time and problem solving.
Mum's estate was not very large and there was no inheritance tax to pay. I had ben in control of her finances for 3 years so I knew exactly what she had, so it was all relatively easy.
I would recommend doing it yourself if you have time, but if you have a more complex estate to deal with it may not be possible. I am actually quite pleased with myself!
Over a year since dad died and all estate matters were finalised around 6 months later. I too feel pleased that I was able to handle all those processes and forms including selling dad's house whilst he was in care. Dad's affairs and probate were also straightforward ...our parents would be proud of us bringing everything to a satisfsctory conclusion in a timely manner. I too would urge anyone to have a go..LPAs AA probate etc..good guidance notes if you take your time.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well done - but do be aware of the Terms and Conditions of TP.

“ 3.11 Posts discouraging members from seeking relevant professional advice (legal, medical or otherwise) are not permitted“.

Just a friendly word of warning.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hi, yes they are not as easily found as they were on the old site.
@love.dad.but
Hope you didn’t mind my pointing out that out.
I was reprimanded some years ago when I mentioned doing something myself, hence my warning,

Last edited:

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi, yes they are not as easily found as they were on the old site. Hope you didn’t mind my pointing out that out.
I was reprimanded myself some years ago for a similar comment when I did something myself rather than using a solicitor.
Hi, yes they are not as easily found as they were on the old site. Hope you didn’t mind my pointing out that out.
I was reprimanded myself some years ago for a similar comment when I did something myself rather than using a solicitor.
Hi @Saffie Think your reply may have been for @love.dad.but. I was just browsing through threads and realised I'd never read the T&Cs so thought I should! Thanks so much & sorry for "jumping in". Best Wishes.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hi @Saffie Think your reply may have been for @love.dad.but. I was just browsing through threads and realised I'd never read the T&Cs so thought I should! Thanks so much & sorry for "jumping in". Best Wishes.

Thanks and apologies. I should have checked back. Not jumping in at all.
I’ve now amended the post.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
No that's fine Saffie...I wasn't trying to discourage someone who will want to use professionals just point out that that these things can be completed DIY if wanted. Apologies if I have veered into unacceptable t and c and understand if you prefer to delete my post

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
No that's fine Saffie...I wasn't trying to discourage someone who will want to use professionals just point out that that these things can be completed DIY if wanted. Apologies if I have veered into unacceptable t and c

@love.dad.but..
I know and I wasn’t either, it’s all in the interpretation!
No worries, seems ok and it was only a gentle warning just in case.......!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75