Living Alongside Alzheimer's

PeacehavenSeagull

Jan 12, 2018
My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease, March 2017. She was only 52 years old, lived a healthy life and was an amazing carer for others. This has been quite a journey for us. To uphold her memory and to help deal with the situation, I have just created a blog, which will outline our experiences together as we received the diagnosis. I will then take you back to where first signs began. Then finally, after providing the history I will bring you upto date and allow you to share our journey into the future. If this is of any interest, then you are more than welcome to share with us..

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease, March 2017. She was only 52 years old, lived a healthy life and was an amazing carer for others. This has been quite a journey for us. To uphold her memory and to help deal with the situation, I have just created a blog, which will outline our experiences together as we received the diagnosis. I will then take you back to where first signs began. Then finally, after providing the history I will bring you upto date and allow you to share our journey into the future. If this is of any interest, then you are more than welcome to share with us..
I am sorry about your wife and your idea is beautiful. Would you be blogging on this site? I follow the threads on here rather than individual blogs somewhere else. It's a wonderful idea though. I so wish you well.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @PeacehavenSeagull, welcome to TP.

I wish you luck with your Blog and also hope that you will find time to engage here if you come upon any problems where you think you need help as the members here are a friendly, knowledgeable and supportive group.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have read your blog page and it is very moving. It is a terrible experience to go through and so many of us have had a similar experience and feel for you in that distress. For such a disease to affect someone as young as your dear partner is cruel. Shared experience does alleviate our problems and gives us the support that only fellow carers can really understand so I hope you will be able to continue to engage on Talking Point. Take care

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thank you so much. I do come on here daily, as well
I have read your blog also - and empathise with it - my partner was diagnosed about 2 weeks after your wife.

You have set yourself an ambitious task going back through what led up to the diagnosis -and it will be painful for you - but it might also be theraputic, so well worth the doing, especially as you have a good turn of phrase and are a good writer.

I too, did a blog, but only for one week, during Dementia Awareness Week - it achieved what I wanted it to and then I turned to writing another blog - this time entitled Adventures of a Genealogist, because that's what I am - and it is fun to write - takes me out of myself.

take care and good luck and just flag up when you have another blog for us to read.

PeacehavenSeagull

Jan 12, 2018
I have read your blog page and it is very moving. It is a terrible experience to go through and so many of us have had a similar experience and feel for you in that distress. For such a disease to affect someone as young as your dear partner is cruel. Shared experience does alleviate our problems and gives us the support that only fellow carers can really understand so I hope you will be able to continue to engage on Talking Point. Take care
Yes of course I will. A great source of help, in staying strong

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Dear PeacehavenSeagull.
I am so sorry to hear about your wife. I will not go into my entire story here as I believe if you have time and interest you can find my posts here on TP:under my name PalSal. Some of my early posts tell our story.,My husband was has had the disease since 2002, when he lost his executive post due to the disease. But it took awhile for him to be diagnosed...all the doctors could not believe it was Alzheimers as he was 49...and been symtomatic for awhile before losing his job. I went a long time without the support and guidance of the kind members of TP. I have been a member here since 2011. There is a special forum here for early on set and the special problems it presents, as my husband is no longer a young patient now he is in the normal age range...in the early days on Talking Point there was not a separate forum for the problems which come up for younger people. Financial implecations of loss of income,working while you have AWD person to care for, the issue of young children- three were at uni and one still in school our youngest was 11.etc.
It has been the long goodbye for us...the slow process of loss of abilities. But I have learned much about myself in the process of his disease and I am blessed that in his early years he was able to enjoy activities he loved. He still walks in the mountains 4 to 5 days a week.
I can only say to you that there have been happy times for my husband over these 16 years, 4 university graduations, 2 marriages, 4 grandchildren and moment joy.
It is hard and sad-but thankfully my husband has never suffered any physical pain....but the anxiety and confusion our loved ones experience is terribly painful and sad., TP is a great source of support and practical advice you can tap into along this journey. Welcome to TP I hope you will find this forum the excellent source of support it has been for me and many others.

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
I have read your blog and I it brought back the diagnosis day for me. It is almost 2 years ago and imprinted in my mind. When we were told it was Alzheimer’s disease my world fell apart - my husband said - I’m not going to die? and he was happy.I wept walking to the car and he ignored me , I wept on the way home and I knew our lives had changed for ever. I’ve wept many times since and he is blissfully unaffected by my misery.Good luck in the future :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger