Carer's Allowance

lorraine381

Jan 28, 2015
East sussex
Has anyone ever managed to keep their carer's allowance whilst a parent/other is in a care home. I have been told that if self funding it is possible, but i'm a little skeptical. I have no savings, am unemployed and there is no one to help, so i am worried there will not be enough money to carry on buying her clothes/toiletries/outings/health appointments/etc, let alone sorting out her personal/financial business/emptying and getting her property ready for sale to pay for her care home fees, which are currently taken care of through the deferred payment scheme.

Mum is disabled and has really painful feet due to operation that went wrong so i have to purchase expensive slippers/shoes/socks etc which keep shrinking when they wash them, i feel like i'm nitpicking but its so annoying for me but painful when shrunken footwear is put on sensitive foot condition. I do appreciate the care provided by the home, but they really don't seem to understand the crippling pain mum can be in, as the dementia has affected her speech so she cannot tell them when she is in pain or uncomfortable, they can only tell when its obvious.

Apologies for going away from the question, don't often get the chance o_O its so relentless, always a fight:(

Thanks in advance, ever hopeful

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
so i am worried there will not be enough money to carry on buying her clothes/toiletries/outings/health appointments/etc, let alone sorting out her personal/financial business/emptying and getting her property ready for sale to pay for her care home fees, which are currently taken care of through the deferred payment scheme.

If your mother is self-funding then these things aren't your financial responsibility, they are hers. Are you talking about the short term (while you're sorting these things out)? Because I can see it could be difficult if all her assets are tied up in her home.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If someone is self-funding they keep their Attendance Allowance in a care home, but Carers Allowance ceases after 4 weeks of someone being in a hospital or care home. I've always found that unfair as we don't stop caring, but those are the rules.

However, as jenniferpa points out, none of these expenses are yours, they are your mother's responsibility and should be paid from her own money. If you do not have LPA or deputyship, get it sharpish.

lorraine381

Jan 28, 2015
East sussex
If your mother is self-funding then these things aren't your financial responsibility, they are hers. Are you talking about the short term (while you're sorting these things out)? Because I can see it could be difficult if all her assets are tied up in her home.

Yes all her money is tied up in the property, she does have some savings approx 10k, but that will soon be gone as the LA wants me to sign an agreement to pay something (?) towards her outstanding 14k debt with them. Her property is in a council block, she (as a leaseholder) has been charged for work done on the building (lifts/cladding/windows etc) and never made a arrangement to pay. Therefore, i have no doubt this money will soon be gone !! I'm not sure if this makes any sense, this financial situation is really getting me down and is definitely not my strong point.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Dont sign anything. It is not your responsibility.
Once her assets (including her property) goes down to £24,000 the LA will start to pay towards her care. Do you know whether there would then be top-up fees required?

lorraine381

Jan 28, 2015
East sussex
If someone is self-funding they keep their Attendance Allowance in a care home, but Carers Allowance ceases after 4 weeks of someone being in a hospital or care home. I've always found that unfair as we don't stop caring, but those are the rules.

However, as jenniferpa points out, none of these expenses are yours, they are your mother's responsibility and should be paid from her own money. If you do not have LPA or deputyship, get it sharpish.

Yes i does seem unfair, as you say we don't stop caring. I appreciate you responding to me ...thank you x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would tell the council that you're not in a position to sign anything at this time. They can wait for their money. If they want to sue your elderly disabled care home bound mother, then they can do.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree with jenniferpa , basically It's your Mum's debt and nothing to do with you.

There is a caveat, do you have financial LPA or COP deputyship ?
If you have you have a responsibility to get involved but not with your own finances.

Don't sign anything that gets you personally involved.

lorraine381

Jan 28, 2015
East sussex
Dont sign anything. It is not your responsibility.
Once her assets (including her property) goes down to £24,000 the LA will start to pay towards her care. Do you know whether there would then be top-up fees required?
Agree with jenniferpa , basically It's your Mum's debt and nothing to do with you.

There is a caveat, do you have financial LPA or COP deputyship ?
If you have you have a responsibility to get involved but not with your own finances.

Don't sign anything that gets you personally involved.

Yes, i have both financial and health LPAs. Sounds like this means i am legally required to agree to a regular payment on mum's behalf, is that right? I completed the finance assessment form but did not complete the repayment section.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, i have both financial and health LPAs. Sounds like this means i am legally required to agree to a regular payment on mum's behalf, is that right? I completed the finance assessment form but did not complete the repayment section.

Yes, but only using her money - you should not have to use your own money to pay for her fees.
Dont sign anything that makes you personally responsible for her debt

I think @Kevinl asked whether you hold POA or CoP deputyship to make sure you have the legal powers to use her money to pay her debt - otherwise you would have no means to pay her fees.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you agree with the request for payment and if your mum has the funds you should pay it out of these funds.
If your mother does not have the funds she can't pay and therefore you should not sign, you should explain to the LA that your mum has no funds to pay her debt.
Do not agree to pay anything out of your funds.

lorraine381

Jan 28, 2015
East sussex
Yes, but only using her money - you should not have to use your own money to pay for her fees.
Dont sign anything that makes you personally responsible for her debt

I think @Kevinl asked whether you hold POA or CoP deputyship to make sure you have the legal powers to use her money to pay her debt - otherwise you would have no means to pay her fees.

oh sorry, don't know what happened there, I meant to say 'POA' just re-read my message :oops: . Think i'm slowly losing the plot;).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katejacko