Using dementia-related apps - your feedback

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

An app builder, Callum Bramley, has been in touch with TP to ask for general feedback from people affected by dementia to inform the development of his app, and to see if it would be useful.

In his own words: I'm building an app for dementia patients called RESPOND, which uses artificial intelligence to recognise family members and objects around the house. I'm looking for some information on how effective apps are as dementia progresses.

He'd like to ask these two questions:

1. Do any of you use dementia-related apps? Which features are the most useful?

2. At what stage in dementia do you think apps become unusable for patients?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I didn’t know there were any? Does he mean apps especially designed for dementia, or just apps generally. Silly question for me to ask really, as the only technology Martin still uses is the Echo.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Is he wanting to ask the PWD, or the carers, or both?

I can reply for my mother. She has never used an app, wouldn't know what one is. In fact, she does not know what a mobile phone or tablet is. She can sometimes recognize a desktop computer as a computer.

Three years ago, she could not "see" text or photos on a mobile screen. She has a lot of visual and visual-spatial issues with her dementia.

She worked with computers in the mid 1960s through her last job into 2008 or thereabouts, so computers themselves are not unfamiliar. As recently as 2014 she definitely knew what a mobile phone was, although she never owned one (or a tablet or a computer at home). The only technology she currently uses is the tv remote, and that ability may be starting to go. She has not been able to use a phone for over two years.

So my mother would likely never have been a candidate for a dementia app.

Perhaps in the decades to come, as people who have grown up with mobile phones and tablets and laptops begin to get dementia, it will be a different situation.

Best wishes for your project.

Last edited:

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Not an app as such - but I was looking for a gps device to allow my husband freedom to walk around without me being very anxious - I checked and looked through numerous web sites and bought a type of computer watch noted and linked on an Alzheimers site. It was said to be specifically for dementia - it took me 2 days to totally give up on it !!

The watch face had an SOS button in the centre that if touched would ring me. But the watch face only appeared if you touched another button on a side - and then the "watch face " only stayed visible for 15 seconds - long enough for us but hopeless for dementia !!

They then said no money back,, (after only 2 days) but they would make a special refund to me of 70%c. So I would suspect only the earliest cases of dementia could use such a device! Maybe in 40 to 50 years time ..
it did other clever things but we could not get past the clock face !!
Hopeless MJ

Respond-app

May 22, 2018
@
I didn’t know there were any? Does he mean apps especially designed for dementia, or just apps generally. Silly question for me to ask really, as the only technology Martin still uses is the Echo.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm intrigued by any sort of app that's had success with patients, and what features are useful. What is it that Martin loves about the Echo?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum never got on with any apps either, but I know someone who found a couple of apps for his mum who was in mid - late stage. They were ones that responded to touching the screen - one was a "fireworks" effect that started at the point where your finger touched the screen and another one was a cartoon parrot that would do things depending on where you touched the screen. Im sorry, I dont know what either of them were called and I dont know whether they were specifically designed for dementia or not. My friend set it up on his tablet and would give it to his mum all ready for her to just touch the screen. She particularly liked the parrot one as the things that happened made her laugh.

Respond-app

May 22, 2018
Is he wanting to ask the PWD, or the carers, or both?

I can reply for my mother. She has never used an app, wouldn't know what one is. In fact, she does not know what a mobile phone or tablet is. She can sometimes recognize a desktop computer as a computer.

Three years ago, she could not "see" text or photos on a mobile screen. She has a lot of visual and visual-spatial issues with her dementia.

She worked with computers in the mid 1960s through her last job into 2008 or thereabouts, so computers themselves are not unfamiliar. As recently as 2014 she definitely knew what a mobile phone was, although she never owned one (or a tablet or a computer at home). The only technology she currently uses is the tv remote, and that ability may be starting to go. She has not been able to use a phone for over two years.

So my mother would likely never have been a candidate for a dementia app.

Perhaps in the decades to come, as people who have grown up with mobile phones and tablets and laptops begin to get dementia, it will be a different situation.

Best wishes for your project.

Hey Amy, I completely agree, in the years to come more people will be able to use tablet tech than ever before! I'm interested in hearing the stories of everyone involved whether that be patients, carers or professionals. Feedback like yours is incredibly useful, I understand that not one single app will help everyone and I'm aiming this more at the early stages of dementia, out of interest has she ever used one before? (even if she hasn't owned one)

I wish your mum and yourself all the best!

Respond-app

May 22, 2018
Mum never got on with any apps either, but I know someone who found a couple of apps for his mum who was in mid - late stage. They were ones that responded to touching the screen - one was a "fireworks" effect that started at the point where your finger touched the screen and another one was a cartoon parrot that would do things depending on where you touched the screen. Im sorry, I dont know what either of them were called and I dont know whether they were specifically designed for dementia or not. My friend set it up on his tablet and would give it to his mum all ready for her to just touch the screen. She particularly liked the parrot one as the things that happened made her laugh.

That's such a great story to hear, something so simple had such a positive effect! If you don't mind me asking what was it with apps that your mum struggled with? Was it the setting up of the app similar to your friend?

Thanks for your feedback!

Respond-app

May 22, 2018
Not an app as such - but I was looking for a gps device to allow my husband freedom to walk around without me being very anxious - I checked and looked through numerous web sites and bought a type of computer watch noted and linked on an Alzheimers site. It was said to be specifically for dementia - it took me 2 days to totally give up on it !!
I'm surprised you had such a bad experience with that MJ, I've come across wearable tech that can alert to falls as well as the location (Mindme I believe it was called). Have you tried using apps or tablet tech together?

Thanks for your feedback and all the best to you and your husband

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
@

Thanks for your feedback, I'm intrigued by any sort of app that's had success with patients, and what features are useful. What is it that Martin loves about the Echo?
The Echo has been useful as it is voice commanded. He used it much more in the past ...he used to ask ‘her’ what day it was and the weather forecast umpteen times a day. He could also ask when he was seeing his cousin, or what he was doing tomorrow, as my diary was linked to it. Now, I have had to put simple written commands right by the machine, as he forgets what to say. The most useful facility now is that I can set up Spotify to play music from my home...linked to his machine in the care home.
I downloaded an app to make patterns...like a kaleidoscope...but he is not interested. He used to use a drawing app, but it is too much for him to do now.
There is a lovely app that you touch and it looks like water splashing, it makes little waves. My grandchildren loved it, as babies. I think that would be soothing to do and hear, at a later stage of dementia.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I downloaded an app to make patterns...like a kaleidoscope...but he is not interested. He used to use a drawing app, but it is too much for him to do now.
There is a lovely app that you touch and it looks like water splashing, it makes little waves. My grandchildren loved it, as babies. I think that would be soothing to do and hear, at a later stage of dementia.

I used one on the iPad called Fish Pond fun - it sounds a bit like what you describe Amethyst. I also used one called Pixel Swarm which was for along patterns - a bit like the kaleidoscope you describe. They are both free apps for iPad or iPhone.

I often used them on the iPad to keep Bill focused/occupied when we were in the doctor's waiting room. It kept him awake. He couldn't use them by himself though, he had to have someone encouraging him to use it or he would like to watch me make the patterns.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I used one on the iPad called Fish Pond fun - it sounds a bit like what you describe Amethyst. I also used one called Pixel Swarm which was for along patterns - a bit like the kaleidoscope you describe. They are both free apps for iPad or iPhone.

I often used them on the iPad to keep Bill focused/occupied when we were in the doctor's waiting room. It kept him awake. He couldn't use them by himself though, he had to have someone encouraging him to use it or he would like to watch me make the patterns.
Actually, I think it was you told me about the pattern app.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Actually, I think it was you told me about the pattern app.

Ah - that's quite likely. I think I did put them on the equipment and technology thread a while back. They were both quite soothing - for me if not for Bill!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That's such a great story to hear, something so simple had such a positive effect! If you don't mind me asking what was it with apps that your mum struggled with? Was it the setting up of the app similar to your friend?
It wouldnt work for everyone.

Mum didnt understand technology and "couldnt be bothered with all that new-fangled stuff". She used to be very keen on gadgets and her refusal to have anything to do with technology was a very early symptom. She did not understand what a phone was for and would talk into the phone, rather than talking to the person at the other end. She never understood about computers and would never have been able to set up an app. I tried showing her stuff on my phone, but it just bored her.

Other people with dementia would have just gone for the tablet and try to dismantle or destroy it, without understanding that there was something to look at.

But it worked for my friends mum.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Yes if the person hasn’t ever used devices like iPhones and iPads it’s hard to start! My husband used a kindle as but likes to read - he could simply open it and read !! But if he touched buttons - he would not know what happened and I would need to find his book again - so I was over hopeful with the device I bought. It’s not easy to amuse my man !!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi I use several apps on my Iphone & Ipad until now didn't know there were any for Dementia but just had a look and noted the majority have a charge so obviously didn't download any to try ok there were a couple of free ones ( I don't use Game apps no interest in games )

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Well I just downloaded a dementia app TOM Cat2 well what a load of xxxx probably ok for a child under age of 2 , :rolleyes::rolleyes: I’m sorry guys I don’t think I’m allowed to give my honest opinion on TPor what i rather happen to me if i need that sort of app ;);)

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Hello again - I just spent some time trying to find something entertaining and useful.. But I though something called Sea Hero Quest looked good but I couldn't figure out how to use it ! Other things were too silly or depressing - I don't use the D word at home - I would not like to distress my husband if he understood it !!
Time to go to sleep ! Cheers MJ

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hello again - I just spent some time trying to find something entertaining and useful.. But I though something called Sea Hero Quest looked good but I couldn't figure out how to use it ! Other things were too silly or depressing - I don't use the D word at home - I would not like to distress my husband if he understood it !!
Time to go to sleep ! Cheers MJ

Hi Mudgee Joy well thanks for taking a look, my problem is majority of people with dementia are 65 plus probably with a fairly active brain, by the time the brain gets to that stage with their dementia l shouldn’t have thought they would be the least interested the app ok only my view but I have never been interested in computer games or crossword ( not intelligent enough for crosswords :(:(:):) )