I'm new and a bit scared....

Morph99

May 31, 2018
I've never joined a forum and never done social media but I think I'm going to need help! Husband, 59 yrs old diagnosed with Alzheimers a couple of weeks ago. It's taken over a year to get recognised by NHS that he "had a problem" and I am now fighting for answers as to how I get his medication prescribed, what benefits he may be entitled to and how to claim (he was self employed and has no income ), whilst still trying to hold it all together, keep smiling, work full time to keep roof over our heads etc. etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one and would love to hear from others...…………..

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP Morph99. I'm sorry you had such a long battle to get your husband diagnosed with Alzheimer's. You will get plenty of good advice on here.
I have found the carers support centre https://carers.org to be a great resource for advice on benefits and pointing me towards charities who can help make a claim. AgeUK are also good, they helped OH and me with POA forms. There is also a Dementia Helpline on 0300 222 11 22 run by the Alzheimer's Society.
I hope one or other of those can help and advise you, but there is always someone on here better informed than I.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Morph99 and welcome to Talking Point. My OH was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am now 61
If your husband is still of working age the usual benefits are PIP and ESA - you can claim both and neither of them are means tested.
If your husband is receiving state pension then he should be able to get Attendance Allowance, which is not means tested.

There are other means tested benefits, but Im afraid I dont know much about them. I would recommend that you contact someone like Age UK.or Citizens Advice about what you would be eligible for.

I have taken early retirement and so I am also claiming Carers Allowence, but your husband has to get either PIP or AA before you can claim this.

Its a very steep leaning curve when someone is first diagnosed and you can end up totally overwhelmed. Do keep posting

Morph99

May 31, 2018
Hello @Morph99 and welcome to Talking Point. My OH was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am now 61
If your husband is still of working age the usual benefits are PIP and ESA - you can claim both and neither of them are means tested.
If your husband is receiving state pension then he should be able to get Attendance Allowance, which is not means tested.

There are other means tested benefits, but Im afraid I dont know much about them. I would recommend that you contact someone like Age UK.or Citizens Advice about what you would be eligible for.

I have taken early retirement and so I am also claiming Carers Allowence, but your husband has to get either PIP or AA before you can claim this.

Its a very steep leaning curve when someone is first diagnosed and you can end up totally overwhelmed. Do keep posting

Hi many thanks for your support, trying to find the time to contact Citizens Advice is not easy...I have to go in person and they're only open in working hours and you can't seem to pre-book an appointment...…!

Fattywatty

Jun 13, 2016
Hi many thanks for your support, trying to find the time to contact Citizens Advice is not easy...I have to go in person and they're only open in working hours and you can't seem to pre-book an appointment...…!

I've always found AGE UK extremely helpful and much easier to get hold of. Welcome btw! You'll find lots of help and support on here well done for finding us. Good luck xx

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi Morph99

Welcome to the forum.

You don’t say where you’re from but I would search online for dementia support in your location.

You should find a number of National and local support organisations and as been suggested, Age UK are very helpful.

Here in East Kent, I was very lucky to stumble across a charitable support organisation - back in Jan 2014 when my wife was diagnosed (it took a year for us too - she is 67 now).

Their area coordinator spent several hours with us and signposted many avenues for us to seek help. I remember feeling such relief, like being given a huge hug!

Our local Age UK runs a dementia drop-in coffee event once a month, which is attended by various support groups. You may have one locally so I would urge you to find the time to go, if so, as I am sure you would find it worthwhile.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Phil

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
I've never joined a forum and never done social media but I think I'm going to need help! Husband, 59 yrs old diagnosed with Alzheimers a couple of weeks ago. It's taken over a year to get recognised by NHS that he "had a problem" and I am now fighting for answers as to how I get his medication prescribed, what benefits he may be entitled to and how to claim (he was self employed and has no income ), whilst still trying to hold it all together, keep smiling, work full time to keep roof over our heads etc. etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one and would love to hear from others...…………..

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
hi morph 99 sorry to hear bout your sad news
as you are finding on here everyone is of a similar story
i am 59 also and recently diagnosed with mixed dementia alzheimers and vasculor
which i have been prescribed mematine for this was done by memory clinic and on going with gp and pharmacy and monitored by memory clinic every few months so you may get same support hopefully
keep chin up and one day at a time