So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning all! I sitting back and preening - I’ve already done the shopping and put most of it away! As opposed to yesterday’s oversleeping. I haven’t checked yet, though I will later, but I noticed that the nights I’ve had trouble staying asleep are the nights I’ve had food and consequently evening pills, early. The pill I’m suspecting is the paracetamol, but it might all be pie in the sky! Just one of those things.
Ann, hope mil is better today and enjoys her soup!

JM, so who’s going to win the Giro? I was following on line yesterday, could hardly put it down!

Ann, I think - and I don’t follow football these days- it’s the champions league final in Kiev today. I know the cup final was last week.

Having done my bit for today, I’m not sure what I shall do. I have the last three days post in three separate pile around the living room, could sort that out! There’s a F1, good!
Btw, I walked down the first 2 aisles of small supermarket in fine style. Then it all went back to normal!

Had a few, very few, drops of rain, but now the sun is coming out . Long may it stay that way!

Have a good day, everyone

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
It is indeed the Champions League Final and even if you all go to bed early to avoid it you have to say a quick prayer to the football gods that Liverpool win! How you and JM can live so close to Anfield and not be there every fortnight is one of life's great conundrums! :D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Maybe Everton Supporters!
( I jest!)

Edited to say when I turned back to iPad, ‘you’ll never walk alone’ was next on my playlist!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I am glad you are getting a break from the GM! As you say, it would have been possible to spend 24/7 online researching and still not be much wiser regarding the medication and interactions.

Spamar, well done for getting the shopping sorted nice and early. I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your day.

Yes, it is European football this evening. OH is very unhappy because it is being shown on BT and we are with Sky! So, it is a case of going to the pub to watch or doing without. At the moment it looks as if he might go to the pub - which will give me a quiet evening! :) He is a Liverpool supporter (was actually born in Everton hospital but lived in the 'red area' and supports them) so keen to watch. I would rather stick pins in my eyes . . .

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
it is European football this evening. OH is very unhappy because it is being shown on BT and we are with Sky! So, it is a case of going to the pub to watch or doing without.

I won't be watching it, no interest at all.
However I read that BT have said all European matches would be streamed free to non subsscribers
https://www.youtube.com/btsport

You may prefer not to have read this and opt for a quiet evening in, your choice.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
@nitram - thank you. OH is not usually glued to the wendyball on TV, didn't watch all of the cup final last week. So he probably deserves to watch this one in peace. I will go into my bedroom and leave him to it!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Maybe Everton Supporters!
( I jest!)

Edited to say when I turned back to iPad, ‘you’ll never walk alone’ was next on my playlist!
It's an omen!!!
I'm getting over-excited. It will probably be tears before bedtime!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I suspect that there were tears, Red - I stayed up, curled up with a book on the sofa (like Slugsta, I would also rather stick pins in my eyes than watch!), and ignored OH shouting out instructions and comments to the screen. As soon as it was over, given the result, I shot off to bed! Son - another Liverpool fan - had gone to Liverpool to watch the match on big screens in some pub or other - glad he was there, and not home with us for once, as he was likely to be even more fed up and disappointed than OH.

Good for you, getting the shopping out of the way early, Spamar. I went after visiting Mil and was glad to find everywhere nice and quiet, for a change.

Took a good size flask of soup into Mil and found her in the lounge, making those awful inarticulate noises that we are increasingly hearing as she struggles to say something. She seemed to be getting quite agitated, and I didn't fancy my chances of calming her with anything, let alone a bowl of soup! However, staff told me that she hadn't eaten much the day before or that morning, so it was worth a try. I was provided with a bowl and spoon, poured out a good sized portion for her and headed to sit next to her. No recognition at all, just looking at me obviously puzzled by my familiar greeting - but, as soon as I said I had some 'leek soup for her', she actually sat forward and opened her mouth! So, I started to give it to her and couldn't believe the speed at which she emptied the bowl - as soon as one mouthful went down, she was like a fledgling with beak wide open for the next. She even managed to say 'nice' a couple of times. Just a couple of spoonfuls from the end, she turned her head slightly and so I asked did she want any more, thinking maybe she had had enough. She looked me straight in the face and very clearly said 'I'll have it all' - I had to laugh. And when she had finished that bowl, she equally clearly said 'More'. So, I checked with the staff that it was OK, filled the bowl to the brim with the last of it, went back to her - and she hoovered it up! I suspect that if I'd had any more to offer her, she would have had that too!

I took the empty bowl to the kitchen area and going back to Mil, found all signs of agitation had gone. She was sat back in her chair, snuggled by her cushions, and looking very sleepy. I stayed for another 15 minutes or so, just gently stroking her face as she half dozed, before leaving. Staff have suggested that if I want to bring in some portions of soup that can be frozen, that there would be room in the freezer at the CH to keep them there, for Mil to have if she doesn't seem keen on any meal offered - so soup making is on the task list for either today or tomorrow. Pre-dementia days, when Mil lived in her own place, if she was ever ill I would often cook a few meals for her and this soup was the thing she would enjoy the most while she was getting better, a sort of 'comfort' food. I am wondering, as she is very clearly not 100% at the moment (though no signs of infection) if it was the the sub-concious familiarity of it, if maybe it brought back that 'comfort food' feeling, that made her tuck into it yesterday, IYKWIM? The main thing is she enjoyed it, and it got liquids (which the CH have also been struggling to get her to have) into her. Won't actually make her better, obviously - but it may help her feel better, which is now more important.

The housework didn't get tackled as thoroughly as I'd intended, as antics at the bird table kept distracting me yesterday - especially the presence of our latest diner, who has made frequent visits over the last 3 days. Of all things, we have a young rook who has decided to become (for the moment at least) a regular guest. We really don't see many of them around here. Jackdaws yes - I have a family of 4, including 2 fledglings that are here daily, and you see large numbers of them everywhere when out and about - but I can't remember the last time I spotted a rook, even when out wandering the lanes and fields around the village. He dwarfs the jackdaws, although not quite fully grown, and is very skitty - and greedy. He is also surprisingly acrobatic - I've deliberately bought hanging feeders that are just for the smaller birds, difficult for the bigger pigeons, jackdaws and occasional jay and magpie to get at. They hang from slender curved poles on a standing feeder, the smaller birds having to actually perch on the containers to feed, something that the bigger ones can't manage. Didn't stop the rook though - he somehow balanced on the poles and is big enough to then reach down and get at the food. Fascinating to watch him, not the prettiest of birds I guess, but something quite stunning about him anyway.

Absolutely NO intention of venturing any further than the covered patio today - it looks like the forecast for thunder and lightning storms is going to be accurate - the rain has bounced down for the last 2 or 3 hours, and I've already heard some rumbles in the distance. I'm actually hoping for it to be as bad as is predicted, as I love watching a good storm!

Hope you all enjoy whats left of the BH weekend, much love to all xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, I am glad that your visit turned out to be much better than you feared - and how lovely that you can actually do something practical for MIL again. You could be right about the reminder of past 'comfort' , or maybe it was the full tummy that caused the contentment - it doesn't really matter so long as she was content :)

My BFF rang a while ago and invited us over for a cream tea this afternoon, so that is now our plan. We will sit in the garden if the weather allows . . .

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Ann Mac had to smile at your description of MIL enjoying the soup. Just like my mum! Every day she has soup at the CH & if I visit at teatime I spoon feed her with it, can't do it fast enough! She enjoys it so much her nose is virtually in the dish. Occasional comments of 'this is nice'! Like you say mouth open like a fledgling, when I wipe her mouth afterwards with a paper hankie in it goes & she starts chewing!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I'm fine, ladies. So sweet of you to be concerned. Just being silly about the result of the football match Ann alluded to in her post. You certainly never walk alone on this thread!
xxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone.

Not a happy bunny......:(

.....But glad about the soup, Ann.

I think the not happy bunny may refer to the football results? There are a couple of 'not happy bunnies' in my family too, you see xxxx (edited - Just seen Red's post :) )

Slugsta, cream tea in the garden sounds lovely :) No chance of that here yesterday - torrential rain and lots of loud thunder for most of the day (though no big lightening displays, which was disappointing). It was almost unbearably hot though - couldn't open the windows because of the rain, but the patio doors (which have a covered decking directly outside) were wide open all day, trying to ease the heat. It was stiffling!

Hi Moggymad - she didn't quite go as far as trying to eat the napkins, lol, but after the ammount of soup she put away, I wouldn't have thought she would have room :)

Despite the rain, I spent an awful lot of yesterday sat on the decking with camera in hand. It seems forever since I took the time to do that, and I had a lovely time photographing the antics of the baby starlings, the occasional visit from the jackdaws - and much to my delight, Mr Rook appeared as I was sat there, and I was able to get a few shots of him too. The starlings make me laugh at this time of year, so I thought I'd sahe some of the photo's with you guys :)

Squabling siblings

0G8A8703.jpg

Feeding demanding young

0G8A8498.jpg

0G8A8548.jpg

I got a small suet log feeder, thinking that the bigger birds wouldn't be able to perch on it and feed, meaning the smaller birds could get a share. Not only is the amazingly agile rook able to balance on the poles and reach down (something the other birds can't do cos they are not as big as him) but, one of the starling parents has developed a trick of actually flying close and hovering long enough to grab a mouthful

0G8A8678.jpg

0G8A8679.jpg

Mr Jackdaw

0G8A8566.jpg

And finally, Mr Rook - with a face only a Mother could love!

0G8A8645.jpg

Enjoy the Bank Holiday, and love to all xxxx

Last edited:

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I'm fine, ladies. So sweet of you to be concerned. Just being silly about the result of the football match Ann alluded to in her post. You certainly never walk alone on this thread!
xxxx
No - too true!!! We all have eyes in the back of our heads! Condolences about the footy. Glad all is well.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, what fabulous photos! I’m amazed! Just made my morning!

Sorry about the football, Red! I didn’t find out the result until next morning, and only looked because of you!

Stepdau coming today, just her, not even the dog! We are gong out for lunch which should be good.

Rain, what’s that? I had about 5 mins worth yesterday! Blink and you had missed it.

Fine and sunny at the moment, just hoping it will stay like this.

Have a good day, everybody!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Ann, what fabulous photos! I’m amazed! Just made my morning!

Glad you like them Spamar - the antics at the feeders is keeping me entertained for hours at the moment :D

Lucky you with the no rain - though today looks like being gorgeous here, thankfully.

Enjoy your lunch out xxxx

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Morning everyone.

I think the not happy bunny may refer to the football results? There are a couple of 'not happy bunnies' in my family too, you see xxxx (edited - Just seen Red's post :) )

Slugsta, cream tea in the garden sounds lovely :) No chance of that here yesterday - torrential rain and lots of loud thunder for most of the day (though no big lightening displays, which was disappointing). It was almost unbearably hot though - couldn't open the windows because of the rain, but the patio doors (which have a covered decking directly outside) were wide open all day, trying to ease the heat. It was stiffling!

Hi Moggymad - she didn't quite go as far as trying to eat the napkins, lol, but after the ammount of soup she put away, I wouldn't have thought she would have room :)

Despite the rain, I spent an awful lot of yesterday sat on the decking with camera in hand. It seems forever since I took the time to do that, and I had a lovely time photographing the antics of the baby starlings, the occasional visit from the jackdaws - and much to my delight, Mr Rook appeared as I was sat there, and I was able to get a few shots of him too. The starlings make me laugh at this time of year, so I thought I'd sahe some of the photo's with you guys :)

Squabling siblings

View attachment 59159
Feeding demanding young

View attachment 59160

View attachment 59161

I got a small suet log feeder, thinking that the bigger birds wouldn't be able to perch on it and feed, meaning the smaller birds could get a share. Not only is the amazingly agile rook able to balance on the poles and reach down (something the other birds can't do cos they are not as big as him) but, one of the starling parents has developed a trick of actually flying close and hovering long enough to grab a mouthful

View attachment 59162

View attachment 59163

Mr Jackdaw

View attachment 59164

And finally, Mr Rook - with a face only a Mother could love!

View attachment 59165

Enjoy the Bank Holiday, and love to all xxxx

Gosh what fabulous photos, Ann!!! Thank you so much, you’ve made my day. I don’t know how you got the hovering wings, I can’t even get a plant in focus.

The smug expressions on the baby birds being fed! Remind you of any of our children???

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, thank you so much for the wonderful photos! It is a long time (probably a few years) since I sat and watched the antic of birds on a feeder.

Red, I am sorry that you, too, were disappointed by the footie result. As you can imagine, my OH wasn't thrilled. However, big thanks to @nitram, he was delighted that he could watch it from the comfort of his armchair.

It is bright, sunny and very warm here, with a 0 change of rain predicted. OH is out, playing bowls, but due back soon, don't know whether we will venture out as everywhere will be packed with tourists (good luck to them, our town would die without them!).

Alf came in yesterday and went straight up to say Hello to daddy. OH says that his (Alf's) coat was absolutely hot to touch - black cat had clearly been soaking up the rays :)