Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Hopefull, welcome to TP. I hope you find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.
If you have any specific questions don't be afraid to start your own thread as you are likely to get replies.
In the meantime have a good look around the site as its a goldmine for information. A good place to start may be the Factsheets, which can be found by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

SiJol

May 23, 2018
My dad is suffering from vascular dementia. 82 years old, but he arguably hasn't deteriorated massively for about 2 years after a couple of years of initial steep decline. Any similar experiences anyone?

cosipar

Sep 9, 2016
My husband urinates on the kitchen floors, toilet floors and swears it's me. Last week I found him trying to pick up the toilet by force and rearranging furniture at 3 in the morning.

reedart

May 24, 2018
Hi I’ve just today been to my GP after a year of plucking up the courage. I told her my concerns and she did a test straight away and told me I was borderline for Alzheimer’s. I was crying during the test with frustration as didn’t have all the answers. I’m now being referred for more tests & scan. I’m 63 with children and grandchildren and terrified of the future. I haven’t told anyone, infact I’m now beginning to think the doctor has made a mistake but deep down I sort of know.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My dad is suffering from vascular dementia. 82 years old, but he arguably hasn't deteriorated massively for about 2 years after a couple of years of initial steep decline. Any similar experiences anyone?
Hello, @SiJol, I think your post has got a bit lost here, in the welcome thread. Try starting your own thread, just double click on the Forum link, select ‘I care for a person with dementia’ and then click ‘start a new thread’. We certainly have many members caring for people with vascular dementia and it is commonly found that there are periods of plateau, in terms of symptoms.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My husband urinates on the kitchen floors, toilet floors and swears it's me. Last week I found him trying to pick up the toilet by force and rearranging furniture at 3 in the morning.
Hello, @cosipar, welcome to Talking Point. What you are describing sounds, unfortunately, very common. I have to follow my husband when he wakes at night, as he will urinate anywhere and then, as you say, swear blind in the morning, that it wasn’t him. What sort of help are you getting? I tried for many months to care for my husband alone, but had to get help in the end as I couldn’t cope with the lack of sleep. Have you had a needs assessment done? (For you and him?) Does he attend any sort of day centre to give you a break at all? Please keep posting, you will find the members supportive and understanding...and also a good source of information.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hi I’ve just today been to my GP after a year of plucking up the courage. I told her my concerns and she did a test straight away and told me I was borderline for Alzheimer’s. I was crying during the test with frustration as didn’t have all the answers. I’m now being referred for more tests & scan. I’m 63 with children and grandchildren and terrified of the future. I haven’t told anyone, infact I’m now beginning to think the doctor has made a mistake but deep down I sort of know.
Hello, @reedart ...I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, it must be a horrible shock. Like suddenly finding you are a member of a club that you didn’t sign up to. There are many members of Talking Point, who have a diagnosis, and I am sure you will find them a good source of support and information. There are also a number of fact sheets on the main website and you may want to talk to someone about your diagnosis and options?

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Have a read around the site, and when you feel ready you might want to start your own thread. A diagnosis is scary, but there is lots you can do to help yourself and you have come to the right place to find out about everything.

michaelsutton

May 25, 2018
Hi .I was diagnosed aged 58 in November 2017
Nothing was revealed on an MRI however the conclusion of the Neuropsychology report suggests that I am experiencing significant cognitive decline in several cognitive domains.
A global decline that aparantly reflects the beginning of a neurodegenerative disorder.
According to the report It is likely to be a mixed Alzheimer’s disease and Vascular dementia.
The report also said that patten of the scores achieved in the assessment most closely reflect that of Alzheimer’s disease .The reports conclusion is that there is also likely to be vascular aetiology given my given my 'significant risk factors and patchy performance within some cognitive domains'.
I have hard to control hypertension and type 2 diabetes .I am experancing problems with concentration, forgeting things and sometimes loose track or misunderstand storylines in TV programs. I do find that if i have to do something I must do it right away because if i get distracted its gone from memory but will sometimes come back to mind later. The psychitrist I saw refered to it sometimes as MCI while the psycologist sugested it to be the start of Alzheimers which is what the report of my assessment seems to suggest. But i must admit i am a little confused. Anyone else had a simmler experance with there diagnosis?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Michael
and welcome to TP
what a lot of information you've been given to try to digest
I'm afraid quite a few members have mentioned that a diagnosis turns out to be pretty complicated, probably because most are based on a mix of tests and scans, which suggest some areas of difficulty and physical decline, and also reports of behaviour and problems with undertaking everyday tasks, so medics have to interpret all of this information
whatever is happening with you, I am glad you've found this supportive site as there are plenty of members to chat things over with and share experiences

michaelsutton

May 25, 2018
hello Michael
and welcome to TP
what a lot of information you've been given to try to digest
I'm afraid quite a few members have mentioned that a diagnosis turns out to be pretty complicated, probably because most are based on a mix of tests and scans, which suggest some areas of difficulty and physical decline, and also reports of behaviour and problems with undertaking everyday tasks, so medics have to interpret all of this information
whatever is happening with you, I am glad you've found this supportive site as there are plenty of members to chat things over with and share experiences
Thank you Shedrech

Bethany123

May 27, 2018
Hi I’m Bethany 26 mother of 2 (5) (1). My dad has Alzheimer’s he’s 73. I’m here seeking advice/information.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Josephine5

May 26, 2018
Hi new to this group.
Worked at my local pub for last 13 years for a couple and the lady boss has now been diagnosed with dementia. She refuses to accept the diagnosis which is leading to all sorts of problems business related.they have also become my close friends so it' hard.her family absent and not helping in any way.im hoping to make some allies on here cos I'm at.my wits end lol! Struggling!!!!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Josephine5
and welcome to TP, which is the perfect place to come for sympathy and helpful suggestions
I see you have already started a thread of your own
so now you've found this supportive community, keep posting with anything thzt's on your mind

Beebeebee

May 27, 2018
Hi. My mum is 83 and has alzheimers and vascular dementia. I try to be mum's memory. For the first time in two years I forgot to phone her when I said I would and I have forcibly been made to realise the upset and anxiety caused. I need to be better and hope to pick up advice from these pages.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP @Beebeebee. You will get plenty of good advice on here, we have all been through the same kind of battles and have fought off guilt. Please don't beat yourself up about forgetting a phone call. When you have to be someone else's memory on top of everything else you can easily forget your own name sometimes. I certainly do some days, just with sheer exhaustion and stress.
I hope the anxiety subsides and both you and your mum will feel better in a day or two.

Beebeebee

May 27, 2018
Welcome to TP @Beebeebee. You will get plenty of good advice on here, we have all been through the same kind of battles and have fought off guilt. Please don't beat yourself up about forgetting a phone call. When you have to be someone else's memory on top of everything else you can easily forget your own name sometimes. I certainly do some days, just with sheer exhaustion and stress.
I hope the anxiety subsides and both you and your mum will feel better in a day or two.
Thank you. I am not sure I have ever felt so disappointed in myself before. I have no excuse as my brother has been down so no care needed from me this weekend. I have started reading other posts and it's very enlightening. I think for the first time realisation has hit me that this is never going away. I am reassured by the open honest feelings expressed and that I may not be alone with the crippling feelings of guilt and sense of dependence that scares me. I hope you are having a positive day. Thank you again.

Kadi63

May 27, 2018
Hello, I'm here because my mum was diagnosed with dementia last week. I think we knew already that she was suffering from it, but it's always a bit sad when you get confirmation.
I live in the Midlands and she's down south and I've just spent the weekend with her. I found her usual cheerful self. I was pleased to be able to join you all to share mum's story and receive help and advice from you all.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Kadi63 and welcome to Talking Point
Its always a bit of a shock when you get diagnosis, even when you are expecting it.
Do have a mooch around the site as there is a wealth of information there, but please be aware that not everyone gets the problems you may read about. Please do post a new topic about any specific problems that you may have.
:)

Robbie1954

May 28, 2018
Hi, new to forum. Can i have your view/s please:-
My Wife’s Mother is 81 and has dementia. She is currently in a care home and the family are in the process of clearing my Mother in Laws home with a view to renting it out to assist with care costs.
Unfortunately my Mother in law has had a fall and been hospitalised.
My Wife has an Enduring Power of Attorney in respect of her Mother’s affairs, this was signed some 20 years ago and has now been registered with the Court of Protection.
If things weren’t difficult enough my Wife’s younger Brother is proving to be somewhat difficult and is insisting that as the eldest Son (only Son) he is Next of Kin.
I’m not quite sure why this is so important to him as my understanding is that NOK carrries no legal weight unlike that of an Attorney which does give legal authority. It makes sense to me that my Wife, as Attorney, and eldest sibling, should be NOK.

Status
Not open for further replies.