Leave me alone

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
hi

Does anyone else feel that sometimes you just want to have space and be left alone?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
So many of us cannot imagine what having dementia can feel like, but I think I would need time alone just to think about everything. In my husband’s case, (he has vascular dementia) I am aware that because I try to keep him safe, he must feel like he can never be alone. Last week, he went to a shop by himself for the first time in weeks. He wanted to go, it is very near my house, and he enjoyed the feeling of just being like anyone else.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH often needs peace and quiet as he cant cope with too much noise and bustle.
The conservatory has become his "quiet space" and he will often go and sit in it with his tablet and/or binoculars and a bird book.
Is there somewhere that you can make your quiet space? A spare bedroom or even your own bedroom?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think there are times when we all wish to be alone.
It maybe difficult to have solitude when you have dementia, especially if those that care for you deem that your choice of 'space to be alone' is not safe.

I enjoy wandering with the dog on my own, but I am safe doing so ( roads and orientation skills still intact) a PWD may think thats a good choice for them, which it might be, but might not if they are liable to get lost.

Being 'left alone' on a day to day basis is sometimes difficult for those that love you and want to keep you safe from harm. How long a PWD can be left alone is so variable and depends so much on the persons capabilities.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
In the days when mum was my shadow and would not stop talking to me, I would plan how to get out of house with a mug of coffee or mulled wine, depending on time of year and into shed where a deck chair waited for me, positioned at the window so I could see door to house, but mum could not see me. 10 minutes of bliss!

Alicenutter

Aug 29, 2015
Massachusetts USA
My husband, who is in a nursing home, sometimes just checks out by closing his eyes. He looks asleep but isn’t. This seems to work for him. It was something he always did when overwhelmed by too much interaction.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
My husband, who is in a nursing home, sometimes just checks out by closing his eyes. He looks asleep but isn’t. This seems to work for him. It was something he always did when overwhelmed by too much interaction.
Good idea.thanks.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
The one thing that did work for me, still does, is taking a nap on the sofa, as soon as mum sees the rug go on my legs and I close my eyes, she leaves me alone and I could sleep for a short time. At the time when we had sleepless nights, I could not get through the day without this little afternoon sleep.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @bluejcas
a warm welcome to TP
I hope you'll find this community of folk supportive and helpful
now you've joined us, pop in and post with anything that's on your mind, anytime
best wishes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jorbla