A quick question about LPAs

myss

Jan 14, 2018
I've got the LPA for my pwd back in 2015 and it's only now I had a reason to produce it. However I am wondering if the form/letter I have is the actual LPA.

Back then it was £110 for each LPA (instead of the £82 it costs now!) and the last thing I received was a letter saying that the LPAs were now registered and their ref number. This was accompanies by another piece of paper stating the name of the person who applied for the LPA (pwd), the attorneys (me and another) and the reference number, and some blurb that a LPA has been registered with the OPG.

Great. The letter that accompanied it says the applicant will be sent the original registered document.

Is what I have is the LPA that I can use as proof that it's been registered or is there a stamped copy that supposed to be the LPA instead?

I'll be calling or emailing the OPG in the morning but wanted to ask here in the meantime. :D

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, what you have is the Notice of registration of LPA.

The actual document is what you sent in returned stamped.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Oh! Thank you for clarify that. I looking through the papers and thought what I had can't be it. I don't think we ever received the stamped version, so I'm hoping my call to them tomorrow will result in one being sent pdq.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It may not be stamped, it may just have 'validated' or similar perforated across the bottom.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh! Thank you for clarify that. I looking through the papers and thought what I had can't be it. I don't think we ever received the stamped version, so I'm hoping my call to them tomorrow will result in one being sent pdq.
There is only one original, and that is the one they stamped/validated and returned. They would have a note of the LPA but not the original you need anymore.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
There is only one original, and that is the one they stamped/validated and returned. They would have a note of the LPA but not the original you need anymore.
Unfortunately it appears a stamped or validated one wasn't even returned.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
The letter that accompanied it says the applicant will be sent the original registered document.

I think the critical bit is actually that sentence - who actually posted the forms to the OPG back in 2015? Was it you, the other attorney or maybe a solicitor who did the work for you? If it wasn't actually you it is possible one of the other options has the "original registered document".

I know my parents have a similar letter to yours from the OPG but since they had a solicitor do the work the original documents are with the solicitor at the moment.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Can I tag in to this just to ask where the best place is to organise LPA & is it really only £80? I thought it £100+
Thank you

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Can I tag in to this just to ask where the best place is to organise LPA & is it really only £80? I thought it £100+
Thank you
The cost was £110 but is now £82 each LPA. They are fairly straightforward using the guidance notes to do yourself

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland

I've got the LPA for my pwd back in 2015 and it's only now I had a reason to produce it. However I am wondering if the form/letter I have is the actual LPA.

Back then it was £110 for each LPA (instead of the £82 it costs now!) and the last thing I received was a letter saying that the LPAs were now registered and their ref number. This was accompanies by another piece of paper stating the name of the person who applied for the LPA (pwd), the attorneys (me and another) and the reference number, and some blurb that a LPA has been registered with the OPG.

Great. The letter that accompanied it says the applicant will be sent the original registered document.

Is what I have is the LPA that I can use as proof that it's been registered or is there a stamped copy that supposed to be the LPA instead?

I'll be calling or emailing the OPG in the morning but wanted to ask here in the meantime. :D
The fee for the LPA was reduced and if you paid for the LPA between April 2013 and March 2017 it is possible to claim a refund I did this recently and received a refund of £45. Claim on www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney-refund it was a very simple process.

Carolyn B

Apr 29, 2018
North West
I have got a Solicitor to sort out the LPA as I needed it quickly. I didn' want it bouncing back because I ticked a wrong box.
Am I right in thinking, for those of you that have them via a Solicitor. The Solicitor keeps the original and gives me copies as and when I request? Otherwise I would hold the on my original and I risk it being lost if I post it somewhere?

When I do one for myself I won' use a Solicitor !!!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
When we did the LPA for my mother last year we used a solicitor and jolly expensive it was too. However that's what mum wanted to do and as she was paying and I wanted it all to happen smoothly we went along with it. It would have been pretty easy to do it ourselves and a lot cheaper. The solicitor still has the original copies and my brother and I both have validated copies that we can use. They cost about £15.00 each though.
myss - did you do this through a solicitor in which case that's where the LPA may be?

Carolyn B

Apr 29, 2018
North West
When we did the LPA for my mother last year we used a solicitor and jolly expensive it was too. However that's what mum wanted to do and as she was paying and I wanted it all to happen smoothly we went along with it. It would have been pretty easy to do it ourselves and a lot cheaper. The solicitor still has the original copies and my brother and I both have validated copies that we can use. They cost about £15.00 each though.
myss - did you do this through a solicitor in which case that's where the LPA may be?
Thanks. That' what I thought. Next time I will be doing my own :)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I have got a Solicitor to sort out the LPA as I needed it quickly. I didn' want it bouncing back because I ticked a wrong box.
Am I right in thinking, for those of you that have them via a Solicitor. The Solicitor keeps the original and gives me copies as and when I request? Otherwise I would hold the on my original and I risk it being lost if I post it somewhere?

When I do one for myself I won' use a Solicitor !!!

Yes that's right. The solicitor my mother used to draw up the LPA kept the original. I got him to send me a batch of several certified copies (the organisations you send them to are supposed to return them but IME that only happens about half the time, and I had to send out quite a few - financial institutions, landlord, care agency/home). Costs vary, mine are £25 per copy.

I don't know if this always happens, it may depend on how it's set up, but when I first asked for copies the solicitor said my mother had to give verbal or written consent to release them. Fortunately she was at that stage still able to sign a letter to give consent.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
I think the critical bit is actually that sentence - who actually posted the forms to the OPG back in 2015? Was it you, the other attorney or maybe a solicitor who did the work for you? If it wasn't actually you it is possible one of the other options has the "original registered document".

I know my parents have a similar letter to yours from the OPG but since they had a solicitor do the work the original documents are with the solicitor at the moment.
It was me who drew it up. After knowing it got to the OPG safely and it was registered, I didn't bother check about the stamped copy that was to be sent to my dad as 'the donor'. I spoke to OPG the next day after my previous post and it turns out that they sent it via Royal Mail Signed For delivery - and they sodding well lost it! Unfortunately I have no proof that it didn't turn up (or any card left) so I'm hoping OPG will send another for free or there's a £35 fee for another copy.

The fee for the LPA was reduced and if you paid for the LPA between April 2013 and March 2017 it is possible to claim a refund I did this recently and received a refund of £45. Claim on www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney-refund it was a very simple process.
You just beat me to it! ;) I only knew this from the options given on the phone when I was calling earlier this week. They better not ask me to pay for copies then!!

Yes that's right. The solicitor my mother used to draw up the LPA kept the original. I got him to send me a batch of several certified copies (the organisations you send them to are supposed to return them but IME that only happens about half the time, and I had to send out quite a few - financial institutions, landlord, care agency/home). Costs vary, mine are £25 per copy.

I don't know if this always happens, it may depend on how it's set up, but when I first asked for copies the solicitor said my mother had to give verbal or written consent to release them. Fortunately she was at that stage still able to sign a letter to give consent.
Oh my goodness £25 per copy! Is this just copies of the stamped LPA or newly verified LPA by the solicitor themselves?

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I used this link today & completed questions but not sure if it’s right as it seemed to simple? I added my husband as LPA & it was just medical not financial. All that was really asked was our emails & address.

Was that just to create an account? When I did ours back in 2014, the process was different and you downloaded the forms to fill in. Perhaps someone who has used the online process recently will be able to give more advice?