I am worried about my inlaws

big blue

May 15, 2018
My mother in law has vascular dementia . Her husband cares for her 24/7 and i believe it i really taking its toll on him. His brother died last week and the funeral is on Monday. It is a long way from home and will require a 5 hour journey in the car there and back.
I wondered if anyone has any helpful hints how to deal with the long car journey,although sadly they may not go if she is unwilling which would be a real shame.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is there someone who could stay with her while he goes to the funeral? Because while I'm not sure if it's a total of 5 or 10 hours in the car, that I would say is too long of a journey and frankly, unfair to him.

big blue

May 15, 2018
Is there someone who could stay with her while he goes to the funeral? Because while I'm not sure if it's a total of 5 or 10 hours in the car, that I would say is too long of a journey and frankly, unfair to him.
Unfortunately he refuses to let someone in to look after her as he "doesn't want to inflict her on a carer", he just can't bring himself to get some respite as he wouldn't know what to do with himself without her even when she is no longer the person she once was,being deaf and unwilling to put her hearing aids in is also an issue.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @big blue
I don't have a solution to your question; just wanted to say welcome to TP
it's tricky when you know a couple really do need some support but the carer is reluctant to accept any
I don't suppose it would help to explain that a home carer or befriender/sitter won't see that anything is being inflicted on them, they are there to help
If he really does want to make the journey, might a large taxi be used so there's a driver to release your fil to concentrate on his wife's needs, and space to be more comfortable - though, I too think such a long journey is probably not wise, added to that the actual funeral itself may be challenging
I am guessing the you wish to attend the funeral, or would you be able to stay with your mil, if your fil will accept that
sorry not to be of any real help
but now you've found this helpful community, do post again