The Leisure Seeker-An American Novel and Movie

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Thanks @imsoblue - I am enjoying it - I only read when I go to bed so I am a bit slow - but I enjoy my couple of chapters. There have been a few good laughs too - and it was nice the way the other campers or “passers-by” watched their slides !!
The storey is good in that it’s “their time “ away from the kids.
Each year for almost 15 years we had our holidays in a house in the Blue Mountains - we still did last Christmas and it was great that my H was not any more disturbed there, than at home. But he got lost when he went downstairs and would call out and ask where was I :eek: So I would call back and just say ‘come up the stairs !! ‘ He would then come up and say “I was lost - this place is like a tree house ! o_O
I’ll keep reading
Cheers MJx

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
MOVIE TODAY!!! I live in a city where we have 5 movie complexes all over town. Two are extremely close to me, one serves food and drink, one I visited years ago, and one I've never been to because it's kind of far. So that's where it is. The far one. I had mentioned it to a friend so let her know I have found it and wanted to go today. She decline due to grandchild visiting. Called Friend #2 but she was preparing for Mother's Day feast tomorrow. Friend #3 is coming. Her 16 y.o. pup is dying and having lost her husband to a massive heart attach 1 1/2 years ago she was grateful for the escape. I hope she follows through but I don't care. I will go alone. I did watch the trailer and it doesn't seem as good as the book. Strangely the scenery is completely different. Oh, and I was in a bind when Friend #3 was asking me about it. In her sadness, for some reason, she was adamant she didn't want to see a comedy. I assume she didn't want to laugh. t texted "sad love story" then realized she was already living that. So I just described their illnesses and they were driving across country. Will report later!

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I hope everyone will get to see the movie. The book is of course better but the movie was great too. They added some things that weren't in the book which made it interesting for me because there were some surprises. The movie expanded the roles of the grown children which I enjoyed. They also added some American politics which was strange. There were created scenes for the campaign of Donald Trump. Even HiIary supporters were seen in the hotel. I feel that will date the movie while the classic songs from Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan won't.
My friend cried, and laughed. There was joy and sadness and humor and grief. A lot of frustration was displayed by wife Ella as she copes with her husband. Dementia is never mentioned. She calls it memory loss. She goads him into remembering names, but I read that there is a dementia where the PWD can be helped by being given clues.
The movie was like a camera placed in your home with you and your PWD. Or really on holiday with you. She was not nice to him all the time. The love was evident between them. They laughed. My OH doesn't have that loving spark anymore. Dementia took it first thing. He is miserable and is making me miserable too. Must remind myself "that was a movie." Now it's back to real life. Sigh.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Thanks Imsoblue - good to get your feedback on the movie - I hope I do see it - they probably made the scenery more attractive ??
I find - and maybe most of you do - because of D - there are changes hour by hour - you might start out having a pretty good day - but most deteriorate - it is the sundowning - or tiredness - pretty frustrating though - we still laugh - but mostly in the morning !

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I remember the doctor saying “Each day is a different day.” The he corrected himself “Each minute is a different minute.” That one was the correct one.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Yes today I had an inexplicably miserable morning - lots of tears - mental exhaustion I suppose - luckily my OH was taken out for a break and that gave me time to take a nap and claw back some control - I guess that’s it - we have to be in control all the time and would like to just flip off the rails sometimes. But better this evening.

In one silly moment this afternoon - a woman had called in for some advice about her house ! My husband put his head around the office door (very part time Office these days) and he waved a small bottle of tonic at us and said “it’s a miracle- the Tonic has cured me” - and left- I said “sorry my husband has some dementia “ and she said - “don’t worry - I know!”.
I should have been able to laugh !!

Back to the book :p

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Yes today I had an inexplicably miserable morning - lots of tears - mental exhaustion I suppose - luckily my OH was taken out for a break and that gave me time to take a nap and claw back some control - I guess that’s it - we have to be in control all the time and would like to just flip off the rails sometimes. But better this evening.

In one silly moment this afternoon - a woman had called in for some advice about her house ! My husband put his head around the office door (very part time Office these days) and he waved a small bottle of tonic at us and said “it’s a miracle- the Tonic has cured me” - and left- I said “sorry my husband has some dementia “ and she said - “don’t worry - I know!”.
I should have been able to laugh !!

Back to the book :p
ooohhhh, she knew. Please send name of tonic :)