Mum keeps falling in care home, what to do next??

robin12

May 12, 2018
Our mum fell and broke her hip in September last year and had been in hospital before entering a nursing home end February. Whilst at this home Mum had numerous falls despite having alarm mats at side of bed, sensors and chair alarms for when in lounge. She has lewy body dementia with Parkinson’s so as she gets up 9/10 she falls over and doesn’t understand to use the walking aids and use call buttons etc. We have been to A&E many times which resulted in an extended stay in hospital with a water infection and the home refusing to take her back saying she is nursing EMI. Two nursing EMI homes refused to take her as said she wasn’t suitable and would be vulnerable. She has now been in a residential EMI unit for four days and has been to A&E twice. First hitting head as stood up out of chair and witnessed as staff always there and even sitting next to her in lounge. Second is a fall out of bed where locker wasn’t removed from side of bed but she fell into crash mat but caught head as she did. To be fair to home they think she is higher level but said they would see how they got on with her. We are at our wits end with calls through the night and visits to A&E and are mentally and physically exhausted. Can anyone point us in the right direction please. I am going to plead our case with social services on Monday. Mum has been independent and likes to be doing things hence problem.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't have an answer to your problem but didn't want to read and run.
This is a great site and you are welcome here. I'm sure someone will have experienced this and be along to advise.
The only thing that strikes me is the possibility of medication causing a problem. Is your mum on any sort of sedative that may be increasing her risk of falls and so could be adjusted to help? Just a thought.

robin12

May 12, 2018
This is a great site and you are welcome here. I'm sure someone will have experienced this and be along to advise.
The only thing that strikes me is the possibility of medication causing a problem. Is your mum on any sort of sedative that may be increasing her risk of falls and so could be adjusted to help? Just a thought.

robin12

May 12, 2018
No nothing that would cause it other than occasional postural hypotension. She’s overtired at mo as not been sleeping much which has added to it. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne-Marie14