Skirting the edge

Annteak

May 5, 2018
I am taking some time out of work in June in order to travel. I am going to attempt to drive around the coast of the UK, circa 5000 miles. I am starting in the Bristol area and shall be travelling anticlockwise, past Lands End, Isle of Wight, East Anglia, the north west, Scotland, the Lakes and Wales ending back where i started in the Bristol area.

I am not sticking rigidly to the closest road at all time, I will using the most appropriate roads (but defiantly avoiding all motorways). I don’t intend to stop at every seaside resort / beech on route as time doesn’t allow me to do this. I have planned a few rest days so that should allow me to decide to stop in one or two locations when the need arises.

The drive is about clearing the cobwebs of the last 18 months out of my head. I lost my father just over a year ago to Lung Cancer, and in January of this year my mother to Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's was devastating not only for my Mother but the rest of my family, that inability to plan one’s life due to constant care commitments, and inability to make relationships with others as your always on call, just in case.

My mother became frustrated and aggressive as she forgot who we were, she forgot who she was, she forgot her husband, she forgot how to walk, talk, eat and finally passing away after a protracted period of helplessness. She passed away at the age of 87, robbed of the one thing that defined her as a person, her mind. War time code breaking, WREN's, later corporate business were what she did, organising, managing developing and creating all lost to the walking death that is Alzheimer's.

Wish me luck, I shall do my best to stay safe, and discover this fantastic country we call home , I will make better memories for myself, than those of the last couple of years.

I have started a Just Giving page, and luckily for me my employer will match my donations, up to a maximum value of £400. Its already over that which is down the generosity of friends.

Over the next few weeks I will pushing harder and ideas are welcome for all and sundry

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I am taking some time out of work in June in order to travel. I am going to attempt to drive around the coast of the UK, circa 5000 miles. I am starting in the Bristol area and shall be travelling anticlockwise, past Lands End, Isle of Wight, East Anglia, the north west, Scotland, the Lakes and Wales ending back where i started in the Bristol area.

I am not sticking rigidly to the closest road at all time, I will using the most appropriate roads (but defiantly avoiding all motorways). I don’t intend to stop at every seaside resort / beech on route as time doesn’t allow me to do this. I have planned a few rest days so that should allow me to decide to stop in one or two locations when the need arises.

The drive is about clearing the cobwebs of the last 18 months out of my head. I lost my father just over a year ago to Lung Cancer, and in January of this year my mother to Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's was devastating not only for my Mother but the rest of my family, that inability to plan one’s life due to constant care commitments, and inability to make relationships with others as your always on call, just in case.

My mother became frustrated and aggressive as she forgot who we were, she forgot who she was, she forgot her husband, she forgot how to walk, talk, eat and finally passing away after a protracted period of helplessness. She passed away at the age of 87, robbed of the one thing that defined her as a person, her mind. War time code breaking, WREN's, later corporate business were what she did, organising, managing developing and creating all lost to the walking death that is Alzheimer's.

Wish me luck, I shall do my best to stay safe, and discover this fantastic country we call home , I will make better memories for myself, than those of the last couple of years.

I have started a Just Giving page, and luckily for me my employer will match my donations, up to a maximum value of £400. Its already over that which is down the generosity of friends.

Over the next few weeks I will pushing harder and ideas are welcome for all and sundry

Wow I wish you have the most wonderful trip and I am sure you will. I have all sorts of trips planned for sometime in the future, I just hope that I can do some of them.

My dad is still a sweet man but his alzheimers is progressing as is his cancer, he is 88 and today we went for a walk in the sunshine and it was nice but he is so frail and is on liquids only. We still make some good memories but it has been the most emotional time of my life. I feel it is crippling me emotionally a little bit more everyday. I don't know how to stay strong bt do it somehow.

Go blow those cobwebs away and get some sun. Have an adventure.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Enjoy the scenery, enjoy the drive and enjoy life. Wishing you a great trip.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Well I made it 4607 miles and £1250 raised...

Fantastic I am so glad that you did this, it gives me some hope. I hope all went well on your trip and that you continue to have adventures like this. That is what I miss travelling, not holidays but real travel and adventures.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister