The Leisure Seeker-An American Novel and Movie

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I've haven't been on TP for very long but I have been blessed by the advice, encouragement, and even love I have felt from the entire forum. I saw the previews of the movie The Leisure Seeker and, of course, one reviewer said, "The book is better." So I got the book online while traveling for work and although I have not completed it, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I literally laughed out loud on the plane embarrassing myself because I was sitting with strangers. It's about a cross-country trip (and I'm not even that familiar with the part of the USA they are traveling) by an elderly married couple. He has dementia, she has cancer. How can that be funny? It's hysterical. Felt so good to laugh. Of course, I don't know how it ends. Anybody want to make this a book club? Read the book. Make comments. John, the main character is more advanced in dementia than my husband. I admire his wife, Ella, for her endurance and strength as she handles her illness (John isn't even aware she's sick) and handles John's illness. Believe me, she does not do the recommendations found on TP. Why not? She's human!!! Read it and let me know what you think!

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Hello @imsoblue - I shall see if I can get the book on the web :)
Happy to be in the club!!
BTW if anyone is trying to get a bigger person off the floor, or bath or .. try first to get them to roll onto hands and knees - much easier from there - that’s my tip for the day after rescuing my OH from the bath ! :rolleyes:

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Hello @imsoblue - I shall see if I can get the book on the web :)
Happy to be in the club!!
BTW if anyone is trying to get a bigger person off the floor, or bath or .. try first to get them to roll onto hands and knees - much easier from there - that’s my tip for the day after rescuing my OH from the bath ! :rolleyes:
Yes yes yes. Welcome to the club! I got it on ibooks on my iPad but Amazon has it on Kindle. There's also a paperback. Thank you MJ, you made my evening so much better.
OH usually falls on his hands and knees. I'm not sure if it's the Primary Progressive Freezing of Gait (a form of Parkinsonism) or the dementia but it's like he can't figure out how to help me help himself up. I used to think it was no more upper body strength, and I'm sure that's a part of it, but it's more the stiffing of those muscles due to PPFOG and dementia. I cannot count the times I have helped him up and the time it has taken. One time it was so long I asked if he was ready for me to call the fire department. He was ready, but I said, let's try one more time, and we put everything into it and he was up. I am trying not to hurt myself.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
There should be a blow up bag like the bags in our cars - you could slip it under them - pull the chord and it inflates!! Just to get everyone started -
Or maybe have clothes with it built in and if they fall they come straight back up !! Sorry I am being too frivolous as I could see it going wrong !

I have ordered my book and only $14 Aust - might be a week or so to get it - !!? I will check the library too !

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Yes yes yes. Welcome to the club! I got it on ibooks on my iPad but Amazon has it on Kindle. There's also a paperback. Thank you MJ, you made my evening so much better.
OH usually falls on his hands and knees. I'm not sure if it's the Primary Progressive Freezing of Gait (a form of Parkinsonism) or the dementia but it's like he can't figure out how to help me help himself up. I used to think it was no more upper body strength, and I'm sure that's a part of it, but it's more the stiffing of those muscles due to PPFOG and dementia. I cannot count the times I have helped him up and the time it has taken. One time it was so long I asked if he was ready for me to call the fire department. He was ready, but I said, let's try one more time, and we put everything into it and he was up. I am trying not to hurt myself.
I have a slightly different problem with my OH who has dementia, but also a colostomy bag which he cannot manage at all well......when called for, be it in the middle of the night or any other time, I have to look at him, gather my thoughts, tell him to stay where he is, walk away, despair a bit, and then think out HOW do I get him out of yet another mess without making even more mess than there is already? ... So many times I say to myself " I can do this, but, let me work out how first" :p:D

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
2018-04-23_10-15-06.jpg
2018-04-23_10-17-26.jpg
There is something available which can be inflated with a foot pump. A friend of mine was loaned it by SS or the OT department. They are very expensive so thin on the ground but it would do no harm to ask.

https://mangarhealth.com/uk/patient-lifting/

We had one of those Elk cushions with an electric pump to help with my Dad. I found it helped to have a chair or something for him to hold onto either side as the thing can be a bit wobbly particularly if you inflate the layers in the wrong order! The correct order is lower levels first.

I also made some portable steps that worked quite well as he was able to help by pushing himself up with his arms and he felt more secure and understood what was happening. You can see from the pictures that they were quite solidly built so they didn't move about at all in use. I think there is something similar made of plastic available commercially but they don't match mine for weight!

Last edited:

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I finished the novel The Leisure Seeker! I do recommend it highly. I hated for it to end. It's quite adventurous. I would love to know if those of you in the UK enjoy it and the references were understood. It is a cross country trip in an RV through half of the USA. Next, I'm going to see the movie which I'm already leery about. Instead of Detroit, Michigan to Disneyland in California, the movie scene is Boston to Florida.
It was entertaining for me to see a PWD in a fictional setting rather than on TP when it's all so painfully real. The wife (narrator) made it very real too, but comical in a sense. My OH hasn't reached the level of forgetfulness as the main character but I recognized some of his behaviors from reading these posts.
Someone wrote in a review of the book "hit too close to home." I hope those who read it don't find it painful.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi i would love to join book club..i will order now on my kindle..are you going to do a new thread..or are we using this one.?.xx

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Hi i would love to join book club..i will order now on my kindle..are you going to do a new thread..or are we using this one.?.xx
I like this one. I've never been in a book club and I'm so excited! I guess we will have to make sure there are not *spoiler alerts!* It really is a quick read.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’ve started it, and it is lovely. I am grateful that it was suggested. I love the fact that the wife is so real with her husband ...that’s truly how it is. And the food! American food always sounds more delicious than ours!

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EileenSp