Can I ... Should I?

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
have a fab time and relax its hard work looking after a partner .im new at this and finding it very hard .so go and enjoy your holliday you deserve it ..tony
It's my mum that has dementia, I used to take her abroad but after scary moments of naked mum in hallways etc that has now stopped.
My husband hasn't dementia, he just has never found anything in over thirty years of been together and is always asking me :D

I do understand it must be very hard having a partner with this cruel disease, we lost dad to it five years ago on Saturday, my poor mum went through terrible times and it was heartbreaking to watch. Now we watch mum deteriorate at some speed. Some days are good, some bad and some just horrible.

Take care and keep posting @tony truro this site has helped to keep me sane on many occasions and I've also met in person some absolutely lovely new friends.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
You don’t think he’d go for a TP retreat then @Margi29 :eek: :p

I wish Mum would agree to going again, it’s not exactly a real break, but at least I get out of cooking, cleaning & washing up for a week!! Although I had to be super organised going with her, she can’t find anything either, never has been able to :rolleyes:

If you fancy it ... you can pop over & deep clean here too :p

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Friday evening, I was sorting meds, only to find Mum had run out of one of the tablets, she has two that are not in the blister pack

Monday had me trying to convince the pharmacy to order the “missing” box. Yes I know you send them together. Yes I’ve searched the house. No Mum does not know where they are (she’s got Alzheimers you silly peeps). I might have convinced them to put the other 2 into the blister pack .... time will tell

So last night, while clearing empty boxes, I found the offending “missing” ones. Don’t ask. She’d taken the 4 strips out of one box & put them into an empty box for the “other” tablets. No wonder I couldn’t find them.

Classic Mum tidying up. Never mind that things are in the wrong box, CD’s in wrong cases, last weeks paper kept with this weeks thrown out etc. Can’t imagine why I didn’t think to open all the boxes.

Now the pharmacy want me to take back the spare tablets.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Sam, how frustrating and crazy making for you, I agree!

I hate to say it, but...maybe time to consider locking up the medications, to keep them from going missing?

I hope you are getting some better weather overall. It is nearly May! Where is spring?

How did the painting go? The thing I like about painting is that you get to see the results of your efforts right away. Hooray for instant gratification!

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
You don’t think he’d go for a TP retreat then @Margi29 :eek: :p

I wish Mum would agree to going again, it’s not exactly a real break, but at least I get out of cooking, cleaning & washing up for a week!! Although I had to be super organised going with her, she can’t find anything either, never has been able to :rolleyes:

If you fancy it ... you can pop over & deep clean here too :p
You've met him lol :D so that would be a big NO :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Amy in the US

I’m looking at places where I can put her meds, but it’s not easy. She’s determined to have control & will literally take the place apart if she can’t find something. I came back from my holiday to find my Will sitting in the dinning table! She decided to go through my office & obviously decided it was hers. Not well pleased.

The weather is all over the place. So hit Mum got a bit pink, then so cold the next day she was in a fleece cuddling the radiator

The painting was postponed... the person I’d agreed to help got a call & had to go. I may be helping today, I’m not sure

Yes, you get to see the result & the sense of achievement is pretty instant. I feel for her, she’s had a quote to do the work, with a long list of what wouId be needed (it’s a house not a show home), but she’s now scared about it. I’m trying to convince her to just start slapping on the paint & enjoy it

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Aren’t I the lucky one, Microsoft phoned me this morning about my internet. Wow. I’m privileged

I’m sorry, but my sarcasm got in the way of finding out what screen I needed to open. I only queried them calling & suggested the possibility of these “Microsoft” calls being related to scammers

He was very rude. Told me I had a big mouth. He then swore at me. Called me a bleeping female dog :eek:

I laughed

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Aren’t I the lucky one, Microsoft phoned me this morning about my internet. Wow. I’m privileged

I’m sorry, but my sarcasm got in the way of finding out what screen I needed to open. I only queried them calling & suggested the possibility of these “Microsoft” calls being related to scammers

He was very rude. Told me I had a big mouth. He then swore at me. Called me a bleeping female dog :eek:

I laughed

My son took one of these calls in the easter holidays - he was a bit scared and upset by it, thankfully dau was in the house and explained it all to him - including the keep them talking to annoy them tactics posted on the sort of internet pages teenagers read. So he went from scared to wanting another call to wind them up.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
She decided to go through my office & obviously decided it was hers. Not well pleased.

Sadly time to put locks on things, the sort that can't be broken, so in a secure box somewhere with a lock for your will, or even ask your brother to have that one.

My mum hated losing control of her meds, carers only managed it after a hospital stay. Getting everything in one blister pack needs to happen first - I got GP to do this with meds that were separate as pharmacist can't override GP. This is a big battle to fight - so trying to work round it for as long as possible is the way to go - but if she is missing out on important tablets then it'll have to be done.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Morning @Amy in the US

I’m looking at places where I can put her meds, but it’s not easy. She’s determined to have control & will literally take the place apart if she can’t find something. I came back from my holiday to find my Will sitting in the dinning table! She decided to go through my office & obviously decided it was hers. Not well pleased.

The weather is all over the place. So hit Mum got a bit pink, then so cold the next day she was in a fleece cuddling the radiator

The painting was postponed... the person I’d agreed to help got a call & had to go. I may be helping today, I’m not sure

Yes, you get to see the result & the sense of achievement is pretty instant. I feel for her, she’s had a quote to do the work, with a long list of what wouId be needed (it’s a house not a show home), but she’s now scared about it. I’m trying to convince her to just start slapping on the paint & enjoy it
The thought that went into various hiding places of mums dossit boxes was ridiculous, you would have thought I was trying to hide from MI5 :eek: we did under places another person would never look, tops of cupboards that even I struggle to reach, so now they are hidden in brothers camp bed, in a fold of mattress.

What about you put in your washing basket under a towel ?? Does your mum ever think to wash your clothes ???
Failing that an empty dog treats box ???
Or a box that looks like a book ( people sometimes use in case of burglary) ??

I'm hoping people on here might come up with something ingenious ???

The locked box as @jugglingmum said maybe the only way :(