Vascular dementia mid stage

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
hi my wife as vascular dementia mid stage .finding it very hard somedays she is normal with memory crosswords etc but most days not able to do or rememember anything .night times the worst.on a good day i wonder if they have diagnosed her wrong is this normal

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP @tony truro. My OH has had vascular dementia for about 6 years and her some days she can be very lucid and clear while other days she can be very confused. Does your wife get UTIs ? They can make symptoms worse, and of course we all get worse when we are tired.
I'm trying to enjoy the good days when they last and get out and about, I hope you and your wife can enjoy a few more especially over the summer.

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Welcome to TP @tony truro. My OH has had vascular dementia for about 6 years and her some days she can be very lucid and clear while other days she can be very confused. Does your wife get UTIs ? They can make symptoms worse, and of course we all get worse when we are tired.
I'm trying to enjoy the good days when they last and get out and about, I hope you and your wife can enjoy a few more especially over the summer.
still struggeling my wife does not get utis at the moment .thank you for repling im finding it hard to exsept shes only 65 we have been together since 1969 tony

Crazylady

Apr 23, 2018
Pleased to talk Jane it's a hard life I really don't know what to expect or to do .Think it's a long road .My wife is 65 and diagnosis mid stage .yet the odd day she seems normal. Tony
Oh it must be so much harder for you Tony as it's your wife,it does seem to be a long road!!! I wonder how long my dad has had dementia,think he covered it up for quite a while.I just thank god we took his car off him before he killed someone,he was bloody lethal. Hang in there,Jane

Crazylady

Apr 23, 2018
Oh it must be so much harder for you Tony as it's your wife,it does seem to be a long road!!! I wonder how long my dad has had dementia,think he covered it up for quite a while.I just thank god we took his car off him before he killed someone,he was bloody lethal. Hang in there,Jane

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Think it's hard for us all x Teresa has been having Tia for a few months before she told me going blind in one eye for a few minutes got her to go to doctor as soon has i knew. But the damage was done .but we will cope and stay strong x tony

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Think today is going to be a good day for all off us x Teresa my wife is struggling and that makes me sad x

jumbo

Nov 20, 2017
Think today is going to be a good day for all off us x Teresa my wife is struggling and that makes me sad x
Dear Tony,
I can identify just how you feel as I am battling to try and persuade my wife to get up for something to eat. Seeing an once alert, intelligent and active person reduced to one who does not care or show an interest is devastating. I have to keep picking myself up and trying my best. Margaret is really struggling and I have to constantly remind myself that it is not her fault. but for the grace of God go I. The good days are now few and far between. Thinking of you.

jumbo

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
hello Tony Truro,

My mum had vascular dementia and she was about 66 on diagnosis, so a similar age to your wife, and the health professionals classed her as young because the Older People's Team started at 70. She was better on some days than others too. Her memory was not as affected as much other things, and she knew who we were nearly all the time.

One of her biggest problems was sequencing of tasks i.e. what things to do in what order. She would not remember how to get in and out of a car, she would ask "what foot do I put down first?"
She also did things like put all the dinner in a pyrex jug to heat in the microwave, because she hadn't realised the items cook at different times.

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Hello Tony,
Yes it's all normal, if you can read Oliver James book called Contented Dementia, it will help you to cope with your daily situation, it gives practial help in dealing with daily life, if you can imagine our memories as a photographic album, without dementia we call recall (look back) into the album and find anything picture (memory) we like, but for a person with DM they have blocks of pictures containing facts missing, hence their need to search for answers when questioned, this is what then we see as their distress, but also if the memory can't be recalled for a fact, that will include a negative feeling and cause distress, however, if we go to the place where the person with DM is at that moment in time, don't question or contradict, accept, then the person with DM will have a happy memory and with it created a happy feeling. The more pictures missing, the less facts to be recalled, but then they are left with just the feelings, so if we can create a ribbonning effect of more good feelings the person with DM will be more positively contented. Best of luck. Ps the book is brilliant.

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Dear Tony,
I can identify just how you feel as I am battling to try and persuade my wife to get up for something to eat. Seeing an once alert, intelligent and active person reduced to one who does not care or show an interest is devastating. I have to keep picking myself up and trying my best. Margaret is really struggling and I have to constantly remind myself that it is not her fault. but for the grace of God go I. The good days are now few and far between. Thinking of you.

jumbo
Thanks mate hope Margaret has a good night. tony

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
still struggeling my wife does not get utis at the moment .thank you for repling im finding it hard to exsept shes only 65 we have been together since 1969 tony
Hope it's a good day for everyone the sunshine is just starting yippee

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Dear Tony,

jumbo
Hi mate hope you have a good day today .It's a nether ending rollercoaster stay positive Tony