You’ve got to laugh...

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A woman after my own heart! I too used to love to spend on clothes - and for a short time recently, I could, after decades of mortgage, children etc etc. But then with OH and FTD I’ve had to start conserving resources again. For a while though, a few years ago, I could splurge - and goodness what fun it was!

Thanks so much for letting me know, I’ll look them up just for fun. Do enjoy every moment of wearing it - as I’m sure you do. It’s really special!
Now I enjoy hunting through charity shops (we call them 'Op' shops here) and at least half my wardrobe are my little treasures that cost me hardly anything. You have to a bit picky but quite often I will buy something that I wear 3-4 times and then I take it back to the op shop to be sold again.

I don't think my son has anything he has bought new and he always looks very smart and my granddaughter was a cash strapped trainee for two years and loves to go to op shops. I always like to go looking out of season, checking out winter stuff in summer when no one else is interested. I recently bought a beautiful coat for my granddaughter for about seven Eng. pounds, Zara Woman, in lovely condition and made in Europe so it was a quality piece.

Sometimes I find an old blanket or two that I take home, cut into smaller pieces, wash them and take them down to our local animal shelter.

My favourite op shop is the size of a small warehouse, open seven days a week and has large off street parking.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
The Bathrobe Company and they sell out of Covent Garden Market. I think their business premises are in Norfolk.

I bought mine when I was single, footloose and my money was mine to spend as I liked but I couldn't afford to do it now.
I think I will get one - I can’t justify it except it will be a joy to put it on!! :D

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Mine is very heavy so shipping it could quite costly. But it will last you forever.
I think you chose the best of all, and I too am so tempted to get one. Btw I am in Perth so op shops are what I say, too! Thanks again for gorgeous photos and details. I would like the very dark blue one, as a kaftan - but if I get yours, we three in Australia can be triplets! Always supposing Mudge chooses the same one.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I think I will get one - I can’t justify it except it will be a joy to put it on!! :D
WHICH ONE? I want them all! I think @lawson 58 chose the best, the Renaissance one, but there's also a midnight blue which in the kaftan style would be fabulous. Sometimes shipping is fixed cost from certain online shops rather than by weight - so may not be horrific??? I speak as a dedicated online shopping addict.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Hi @Lawson58 @MudgeeJoy, re shipping, it’s flat rate to Australia @ GBP 20 if I am reading it aright. The kaftans are so beautiful, I can’t decide between the Renaissance that Lawson has and the midnight blue. Would be wonderful for winter .... Adagio is the blue one. Aria is also gorgeous but out of stock right now. I think the most wearable though is Lawson’s Renaissance one. The midnight blue may show white fluff on it which would drive me mad. Thinking, thinking ...

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi @Lawson58 @MudgeeJoy, re shipping, it’s flat rate to Australia @ GBP 20 if I am reading it aright. The kaftans are so beautiful, I can’t decide between the Renaissance that Lawson has and the midnight blue. Would be wonderful for winter .... Adagio is the blue one. Aria is also gorgeous but out of stock right now. I think the most wearable though is Lawson’s Renaissance one. The midnight blue may show white fluff on it which would drive me mad. Thinking, thinking ...
Tough choice. I spent about two hours in the shop trying make my mind up. I tried them all on and then huffed and puffed for ages before I chose. I bought mine about 16 years ago so obviously the design has been very popular.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Tough choice. I spent about two hours in the shop trying make my mind up. I tried them all on and then huffed and puffed for ages before I chose. I bought mine about 16 years ago so obviously the design has been very popular.

You are my hero!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018

Sizes were standard?

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Hi everyone - I’ve just ordered the Renaissance - I like the collar too . If we can just get together for a pyjama party we will be twins or triplets or quads !!!
Very exciting and extravagant . But I’ll be thinking of you all whenever I put it on - love to you all - mud-joy

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Sizes were standard?
I can't really remember much about the sizing but mine is a Medium and I am about a size 14 here. If I were just as little larger I would get the large. They are quite bulky and don't fit snugly like lighter fabrics do. And it's a long way to return the goods if they don't fit. It could be worth an email or two to see what they think.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
Ps I went for Small but maybe should have gone medium- I am one of those awkward shape -:rolleyes::(
I think I've really started something. Do you mind telling me how much it was? Just curious!

the exchange rate is not too bad so with postage just $395
However they emailed this morning to say last renaissance with collar sold out - there is a new model called Honey - they will send a picture - or I can go renaissance with a hood!! Help !! Or I could go up a size - what do you suggest? I thought a bit snug might be ok but am easily influenced .,o_O

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I want one so I can come to the slumber party! I call these robes. And I shop at thrift shops. I'm in the US.
As regards to OH being exhausted from watching you work @Grahamstown, last night OH asked me for a glass of ice as I was climbing into bed. I probably moaned a little too loud. He said, "Nevermind, I'll get it myself. AND, I can do it twice as fast as you can." He's almost immobile even with an electric wheelchair. I got the ice.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I think I've really started something. Do you mind telling me how much it was? Just curious!

Hi and thanks so much re sizing. I'm not quite sure what to do - I am 5'6" and a generous 14 - so maybe the large? Definitely the Renaissance though, I can't break the trend!

Re cost I can answer, they are GBP 165 with flat rate GBP 20 for shipping. So: reasonably expensive - but not outrageous - and the quality is obviously fantastic with yours having lasted so long.

I had a relaxation class this morning and am wiped out now. Makes me realise how tired I must be. The carer's lot! Moan, moan.

Thanks so much for all this inspiration! Love C.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Ps I went for Small but maybe should have gone medium- I am one of those awkward shape -:rolleyes::(

the exchange rate is not too bad so with postage just $395
However they emailed this morning to say last renaissance with collar sold out - there is a new model called Honey - they will send a picture - or I can go renaissance with a hood!! Help !! Or I could go up a size - what do you suggest? I thought a bit snug might be ok but am easily influenced .,o_O

Hi @MudgeeJoy so sorry to have butted in re cost - I hadn't scrolled up far enough to see your answer. Re hood, I would be a bit concerned - you liked the collar on the normal one and the hood will change that look; also, we are in a warmer climate, to put it mildly, and the whole robe might become a bit heavy with the hood. You might feel weighed down or uncomfortable.

There's a Welsh woollen mill, Melin Tregwynt, I had one of their bed throws and it was fabulous. They do bathrobes also BUT they are hooded and, being wool, I've always thought that would be a bridge too far.

Dying to hear what the Honey is like! Sounds awesome!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I want one so I can come to the slumber party! I call these robes. And I shop at thrift shops. I'm in the US.
As regards to OH being exhausted from watching you work @Grahamstown, last night OH asked me for a glass of ice as I was climbing into bed. I probably moaned a little too loud. He said, "Nevermind, I'll get it myself. AND, I can do it twice as fast as you can." He's almost immobile even with an electric wheelchair. I got the ice.

Hi @imsoblue the exchange rate with US - GBP will be hugely in your favour, won't it? All that thrift shop shopping has surely accrued you massive credit at that great big shopping mall in the sky, maybe you could splurge? Maybe we all could? Think of the ice last night!

Not apropos, but I've started preparing my OH's cereals for him, for the morning. He's been getting constipated and, over months now, I've been making sure he had good fibre intake at breakfast. I devised a system and it worked! (Small thrill.) I checked periodically, whenever he got constipated again, and, each time I did, I'd discover he'd gone back to his own system (non-system).

So I think I've given it everything I can. I hate the de-skilling that comes with me taking it over - but I was having to get up and supervise him, when normally I get a few minutes in bed alone with my cup of tea (bliss!) - and he was making mistakes with the spoonfuls every single morning. No new learning: I know that - but still: I had a list of instructions on the fridge for him and I believed I could make a go of it. But he needed to read the list, and to follow the list, ...

Well this is a long story, isn't it, for a few tablespoons of bran and some prunes! Anyway: I've given it all up now, I've done myself a (small) favour, I get the bowl of dry cereal and prunes ready the day before, after I have my own breakfast, and I put it in the fridge ready for the next morning. So far he's been able to find it.

Good luck to all today.