Vitamins

LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
Morning all, our dad was diagnosed with mixed dementia. He does not take any vitamins but on patches for his dementia and statins. Can anyone recommend any vitamins that may help, obviously not the dementia but his general health.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @LesleyPort

There`s no guarantee vitamins will help but I appreciate you are willing to try anything to improve your dad`s health .

I can only suggest a good quality multi vitamin for the over 50s . I hope they help.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Morning all, our dad was diagnosed with mixed dementia. He does not take any vitamins but on patches for his dementia and statins. Can anyone recommend any vitamins that may help, obviously not the dementia but his general health.

My husband's geriatrician told him that he should be taking a high dose of Vitamin B group which is readily available at the pharmacy. My husband also takes a supplement drink called Souvenaid but there's no way of telling if it helps or not. I figure that it can't hurt so anything is worth a try.

LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
My husband's geriatrician told him that he should be taking a high dose of Vitamin B group which is readily available at the pharmacy. My husband also takes a supplement drink called Souvenaid but there's no way of telling if it helps or not. I figure that it can't hurt so anything is worth a try.
Thank you, anything is worth trying if it helps

LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
Hello @LesleyPort

There`s no guarantee vitamins will help but I appreciate you are willing to try anything to improve your dad`s health .

I can only suggest a good quality multi vitamin for the over 50s . I hope they help.
Thank you, yes will try anything to improve or help his health

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
For general health, I give my mum a daily dose of vitamin c and a multi vitamin syrup

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
As mentioned above, a good quality B complex and make sure of vitamin D too. Would it be possible next time blood is taken to test for current levels? Especially of folates, B12 and vitamin D because the elderly can be seriously lacking in these. You're right to be thinking of maximizing general health, enabling your dad to cope better with whatever dementia throws at him. Be aware that although the percentages of RDA (recommended daily amount) on the label can seem excessively high, this is just because the body can't absorb all of the vitamin supplement. Sometimes it can use as little as 1%. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar