Has Anyone Ever Had To Lock Their PWD In Whilst They Go Out?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello everyone!

As you all know I now have carers coming in about twice a week and at the moment dad can still be left for a certain amount of time whilst I go shopping. However I want to ask if anyone has ever had to lock their PWD in whilst they do a bit of shopping or go out in the afternoon. Dad is generally clearer during the day and if I have to lock the front door he will still be able to get into the back garden if need be. I don't want to incarcerate dad too much but I would like him to be safe. On Saturday I will be in until about 2 pm when I have to go out. I will phone dad at 5 pm to make sure he is okay and then my brother will be coming to see him at about 5.30/6.00 pm. I thought the care agency had this date done in their books but I checked and I found that they hadn't and of course it is too late for them to get anyone. The fact that I told them I was celebrating a friends birthday seems to have confused them!

MaNaAk

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Its a tricky one isn't it, In the early days when I knew mum could still do a few things for herself and was not then prone to wandering I did and like you I telephoned just to make sure she was ok. I also put one of her favourite films on and she could of course get out into a walled garden area. Have to be honest that when I did this I was not entirely comfortable and it was not long before I decided not to do it again.

Jojo4444

Oct 27, 2017
Hi MaNaAk,
Yes I’ve locked mum in in the past. This was because she was going out looking for her mum late at night and when brought home by neighbours refused to lock up in case her mum didn’t have a key. She also left the door ajar a few times. I used to lock her in each night but tell her where the key was, if i’m honest I knew she wouldn’t remember where I said, but she lives in a “bad” area and I felt it safer to lock her in than not.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wouldn't recommend locking anyone in. There is no way anyone can know how a person with dementia would react in an emergency.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I agree. How would you feel if there was a fire and the PWD couldn't get out? If you can't be there yourself, why not organise a sitter or another form of supervision? He might be alright, but what if he's not, or he gets anxious about being on his own?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
In order to confine someone like this, wouldn't you need a DoLS Order? I know they're being locked in for their safety and your peace of mind, but I think, legally, you are on very shaky ground, detaining someone. And, as has been said, what if a fire broke out, and they couldn't get out?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, in England and Wales a DoLS order only covers care homes and hospitals, not domestic settings.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm really uncomfortable with this. The reality is that in an emergency my mother probably wouldn't have been able to get out of the house anyway, not just because of lack of awareness but her physical infirmities, but I wouldn't have been able to deal with the guilt if I'd locked her in and something happened. Although I Grant you I wouldn't have been able to live with the guilt if she'd left the house in the middle of the night and something happened either.

The reality is, at least in the UK, that this would put you in a very dubious legal position if anything happened or in fact if it didn't but it was discovered by the authorities.

I recognize the impetus to do it though.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hello everyone!

As you all know I now have carers coming in about twice a week and at the moment dad can still be left for a certain amount of time whilst I go shopping. However I want to ask if anyone has ever had to lock their PWD in whilst they do a bit of shopping or go out in the afternoon. Dad is generally clearer during the day and if I have to lock the front door he will still be able to get into the back garden if need be. I don't want to incarcerate dad too much but I would like him to be safe. On Saturday I will be in until about 2 pm when I have to go out. I will phone dad at 5 pm to make sure he is okay and then my brother will be coming to see him at about 5.30/6.00 pm. I thought the care agency had this date done in their books but I checked and I found that they hadn't and of course it is too late for them to get anyone. The fact that I told them I was celebrating a friends birthday seems to have confused them!

MaNaAk
I think if you feel a need to lock the door, then perhaps there is a stronger need for someone to be there. I too had Carers coming in during the week, so that I could do shopping. Then, when things changed (dementia worsening) I had to remain in the house and at times, lock the front door. The one time mother did manage to get out of the house (during a UTI) it was a nightmare. Paramedic came and it took some time before I could gently coax mother back into the house. What followed was even worse. But you are clearly not at that stage yet. Safe and secure must be the watchword, rather than incarceration.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi

I lock the outer front door if I have to nip to the shop (about 10 mins) or when doing the weekly shop (45min). I make sure that my wife is happily watching the TV and she's usually still doing that when I return. If she does wander around the house, she usually only relocates stuff (ornaments, tea-towels, remote controls etc:D).

She could get out of the house via the kitchen/side door but has never attempted to do so. The odd occasion she has gone walkabout before, has always been via the front door, which I now keep locked at all times. (she now also wears a tracker type "watch".)

A few weeks ago, I must have forgotten to do so and on my return, I found the front door wide open! Fearing the worst, I rushed in to find her still watching the tele - she must have opened the door, thought "sod that, it's raining" and gone back to the TV:rolleyes: - leaving me to mop up the puddles in the porch.

Phil

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If dad can get out of the back door and into the garden then he's not locked in.

I have my own key to dads front door and always lock it when I leave. Dad has his own key but is always losing it!! I leave a key in the back doors and I hope he won't take them out or he'll lose those too...

If you think he'll be fine for those 3 hours on his own I don't see a problem. It would be different if you were locking all the exits and he couldn't get out in an emergency!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
As long as the person can get out and leave if they wish to, then, legally, you are fine. But I'm pretty sure that as far as the law is concerned, strictly speaking, even if they can get out of the house, but not get out of the garden, it can still be regarded as "False imprisonment". And while it is unlikely that you would face prosecution under these circumstances, far as I know, it would be possible.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
When a PWD is involved I think you also have to consider the "yes he can get into the garden but would he do so if in danger? And where would he go from there?" The simple fact he could doesn't mean he would because dementia means people often don't recognise dangerous situations or what to do in them.

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
I wouldn't lock anybody in. It's just too dangerous and if anything happened one would face serious repercussions .
Ok, I can understanding doing it if there was a one off emergency, otherwise really its not a good idea.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou very much everyone! I won't be locking dad not just because of fire but the fact that he stands by the front door opening and closing it because he likes looking out of the front door. If he found it locked I think that he would panic and do something dangerous. When dad has got out it has been in the early morning because he has woken up confused and the last time he did this he got back! He can still be left for a few hours and I am making the most of this fact. This disease is one long guessing game!

MaNaAk

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum used to do the open and closing of the front door, she would do it for hours but never actually step over the threshold.

Yellowduck

Account Closed
Dec 11, 2016
Essex
I hear what people are saying about the possibility of a fire, but if the person does get out and wander then they could be run over, attacked, or worse....

If there was a fire, then the fire itself may prevent them from getting to the door, locked or not. And if there was a smoke alarm screaming away, my mum would be so confused she would probably just pull the duvet over her and stay where she was.

You have to do what you feel is best for the person involved, and if they wander and are a danger to themselves, then perhaps it is time to think about residential care. Unless you can put your life on hold and be with them 24/7.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Very helpful. It seems harsh to label 'false imprisonment' to a willing and caring family member, but that is basically what it is. Care Homes can apply along easier lines (D of L) for all the obvious reasons too. A tricky area for the home carer, clarified here.