mum was prescribed tramadone

tiggertastic

Feb 18, 2018
colne
can any one who has had experience with the drug tramadone give me some feedback on how they felt it had performed for the person it was prescribed for. Mum was just recently diagnosed it for her anxiety and sleepless nights but she seems to be really wired all the time and more confused, if that's at all possible she is only on 50mg ,thanks to all

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Do you mean trazadone? My husband was on that for several years, but he was on several other medications as well, including anti psychotics. He was on 150 mg of the trazadone - 100 mg at night, and 50 in the afternoon.

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Can you discuss the sixe effects with a cpn ? Ive heard lots of medications dont work so well that n people with dementia. They possibly sedate but that can lead to more confusion, antisocial behaviour. My mum has problems when she is receiving personal care but is fine sleeping . Its v difficult but sometimes trying different meds can help. Good luck x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
They are probably genuine side effects so talk to gp. Usually a few are tried before the right one is found. Over a course of 5 months my mum was prescribed 4 different anti depressants until the right one and dose was found, She had some severe and various reactions to most.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
I was wondering this too as my dad’s just been started on this, when the prescription arrives and taken off a whole bunch of other meds - he is so sensitive to everything, and gets lots of side effects so I guess we shall see. From what I have read it seems to make people drowsy and he is drowsy enough as it is. The hope is that it will help his moods as he gets aggressive and resistant to care and needs hoisting now. I think some of this is due to him being frightened and how good the carers are with dealing with him. I don’t see a lot written about it but I’m open to him trying anything.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I was wondering this too as my dad’s just been started on this, when the prescription arrives and taken off a whole bunch of other meds - he is so sensitive to everything, and gets lots of side effects so I guess we shall see. From what I have read it seems to make people drowsy and he is drowsy enough as it is. The hope is that it will help his moods as he gets aggressive and resistant to care and needs hoisting now. I think some of this is due to him being frightened and how good the carers are with dealing with him. I don’t see a lot written about it but I’m open to him trying anything.
All you can do is try and see. Trazadone certainly didn't make my husband drowsy. It was hoped that it would, and he might sleep better at night! But nothing seemed to make him drowsy!

tiggertastic

Feb 18, 2018
colne
Do you mean trazadone? My husband was on that for several years, but he was on several other medications as well, including anti psychotics. He was on 150 mg of the trazadone - 100 mg at night, and 50 in the afternoon.
yes you are right trazadone is what she has been prescribed

tiggertastic

Feb 18, 2018
colne
Can you discuss the sixe effects with a cpn ? Ive heard lots of medications dont work so well that n people with dementia. They possibly sedate but that can lead to more confusion, antisocial behaviour. My mum has problems when she is receiving personal care but is fine sleeping . Its v difficult but sometimes trying different meds can help. Good luck x
thank you looks like it is going to b a work in progress

tiggertastic

Feb 18, 2018
colne
I was wondering this too as my dad’s just been started on this, when the prescription arrives and taken off a whole bunch of other meds - he is so sensitive to everything, and gets lots of side effects so I guess we shall see. From what I have read it seems to make people drowsy and he is drowsy enough as it is. The hope is that it will help his moods as he gets aggressive and resistant to care and needs hoisting now. I think some of this is due to him being frightened and how good the carers are with dealing with him. I don’t see a lot written about it but I’m open to him trying anything.[/QUmy mum struggles to sleep at night she has terrible night terrors , i am hoping this drug or A drug could help her with that' we are just at the stage of watch,see and hope

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
50 mg is a very low dose. When my husband was at the height of his wandering he started out on that dose but went up in 50s until 250mg. He is calm and mostly sleeps well and I think it has been very successful.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Dad’s been started on 50 mg too, in the morning- I will let you know how he gets on, but I don’t think the care home have received his prescription yet.
He was on zopiclone 7.5 mg at night, which worked a treat when he stopped sleeping and mum was looking after him at home, but I have been asking for it to be reviewed for ages as his condition has deteriorated so much in 2 years , but I think staff at the care home were reluctant for it to be stopped until his consultant stepped in.

tiggertastic

Feb 18, 2018
colne
Dad’s been started on 50 mg too, in the morning- I will let you know how he gets on, but I don’t think the care home have received his prescription yet.
He was on zopiclone 7.5 mg at night, which worked a treat when he stopped sleeping and mum was looking after him at home, but I have been asking for it to be reviewed for ages as his condition has deteriorated so much in 2 years , but I think staff at the care home were reluctant for it to be stopped until his consultant stepped in.
hi well further to my last post, and i am always reluctant to b to optimistic,mum has been sleeping a lot better great relief to all of us so see how your dad gets on good luck x