Hands

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
This is a funny one and not ha ha funny.
Mum has typical elderly hands as in blue raised veins on the top of her hands. It’s nothing and certainly nothing to worry about.
She has mentioned the fact that she doesn’t like them and I reassure her that it’s normal but yesterday she said she’d tried scrubbing them away???
Anyone else had this issue with their PWD?

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
No.
But, my Dad did go through a phase of using Cough Syrup as a hand cream :confused:
Apparently :rolleyes: it was an instant cure for "cramp".

Do you believe your Mum did actually scrub, or just another confabulation?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I'd keep an eye out for any signs of excessive scrubbing. With old people having thin skin I'd imagine some damage could be done there. I hope I'm not just being alarmist as I don't want to cause any upset.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
No.
But, my Dad did go through a phase of using Cough Syrup as a hand cream :confused:

No.

Oh dear
I’m not sure, she hasn’t got a scrubbing brush in her en suite which I’m glad of and they don’t look sore or scratched so it may be nothing or she may have scrubbed them with a flannel!
Either way I suppose I have to accept accept accept anything my Mum says is a muddled mind talking, I can most of the time but when it’s something to do with Mums health etc it bothers me. The stories about how she went here there and everywhere with Dad who died last August, I can deal with.
Thanks for replying x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Would fake sun tan cream make them less noticeable? Sort of camouflage them a bit so she no longer notices them so much.
K

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Yes, my mum’s arms are covered in freckles which she has decided she doesn’t like and says she has tried to wash away. Given I can’t get her to wash, I think this is more confabulation x

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
This is a funny one and not ha ha funny.
Mum has typical elderly hands as in blue raised veins on the top of her hands. It’s nothing and certainly nothing to worry about.
She has mentioned the fact that she doesn’t like them and I reassure her that it’s normal but yesterday she said she’d tried scrubbing them away???
Anyone else had this issue with their PWD?

My MIL has this idea as well about her hands. We got her a pair of fingerless knitted gloves which seemed to placate her.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Most fake tans have a funny smell that you can't get rid of until the tan goes so make sure the smell doesn't bother her first.
I bow to your superior knowledge of fake tan, never having used it but frankly some of the creams women rub in their hands smell a bit dodgy too:)
K

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I fear the fake suntan cream may make the dark spots darker so if you try that do test it first. The other problem is that it tends to stain clothing and so on.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
You can always try the moisturiser which tans skin, or even plain moisturiser and tell her it will help with the veins but it will take a while ;)

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I bow to your superior knowledge of fake tan, never having used it but frankly some of the creams women rub in their hands smell a bit dodgy too:)
K
K

I have used a few including those that tan instantly and those that tan overnight and they all have the same particular smell that stays until the tan has worn off. I could even smell in my dreams so I imagine it could upset someone with dementia if they didn't like the smell.

I rarely wear it but I have lost most of my skin pigment since my mum died (doctor says it is stress) so I use it in the summer sometimes to even out my skin colour and because I get fed up with people commenting on how pale I am.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
I have used a few including those that tan instantly and those that tan overnight and they all have the same particular smell that stays until the tan has worn off. I could even smell in my dreams so I imagine it could upset someone with dementia if they didn't like the smell.

I rarely wear it but I have lost most of my skin pigment since my mum died (doctor says it is stress) so I use it in the summer sometimes to even out my skin colour and because I get fed up with people commenting on how pale I am.
That’s a point that I’d never thought of, I’m very pale and people say the same!

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
I’ve seen some hand warmers online which may do but then again Mum have forgotten that she was bothered by the veins on her hands, not easy to gauge tbh