Carer's Allowance claim and mum's DLA

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
Yes TP has certainly helped me and I pop in here everyday as often the posts of others are very helpful. I am very glad that you posted here as now I know I am not the only one in this position. Anyway I am glad you have made progress and have a bit of support with it. I am progressing and the nurse from the memory clinic visited dad this morning. She seems to think that his loss of appetite is part of the natural progression but she is going to speak to the doctor about his medication just in case and she will let me know.

She also told me to get the forms filled in and she would support my application. She also said that I should get an assessment from the Social services for dad and myself so all in all not a bad morning.

Dad however told her that he is fine, eats three good meals a day and can walk miles. I think she saw through him. He also told her that he will have fish and chips for dinner tonight. We will see.
Yep, just witnessed mum in absolutely glorious 'hostess mode' with the Social Worker. I requested a 2nd visit because the first meeting a month ago was such a joke. On that occasion, mum said 'yes' to everything and when the SW left she said "Oh your mum's lovely and is obviously coping really well isn't she!". I rang her the next day, told her the reality and she agreed to come again today. Mum was still very much on her best behaviour (!) but this time the SW could see through the confabulations etc, so I feel very relieved. And then I take her out for lunch and she can't process the difference between green and red on the pelican crossing and nearly walks into the path of a lorry!

We're going to get carers to pop in every evening to make sure mum takes her meds, as at the moment she just hides them in random places. Not that there is any guarantee she'll let them in the house. But it's a start. Like you, feel that today has been an ok day! A very nice Practice manager at mum's GP's has offered help if I need it, and it makes a nice change to feel you're not in this alone.

I spent 5 hours last night working my way through the DLA form for mum and only got to Q32......I'm going to a Carer's course next week so might take it with me and see if I can get someone to glance through it to make sure it's ok. Onwards and upwards!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I spent 5 hours last night working my way through the DLA form for mum and only got to Q32......I'm going to a Carer's course next week so might take it with me and see if I can get someone to glance through it to make sure it's ok.
Citizens Advice and Age UK will both help with the form too. They are helpful because they know the right phrases and "buzz words" to use.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Suzie G

Posted the DLA forms today with as much information as I could gather. Not been a good week as husband has been in hospital since mothers day with suspected MI and I am still having to visit dad twice a day to make sure he eats and takes tablets but that is the best I can do at the moment. Sat up late last night to finish the forms and collected a print out of his prescription this morning.

Thank god that is out of the way and I never want to have to do it again. Just got to wait for the result now.

Like you I used to be an intelligent and sensible person but at the moment I don't know my left from my right. It all gets a bit much.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
What about having a key safe installed, so the carers (and emergency personnel) can let themselves in if needed?

And maybe also a locked box for the medications?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
What about having a key safe installed, so the carers (and emergency personnel) can let themselves in if needed?

And maybe also a locked box for the medications?

I am the carer and I have a key. Dad is not too bad yet, just can't get out and does not want to eat. Thank you anyway.

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
Hi Duggies-girl, sorry not replied but been snowed under and this si the first time I've been on for a few days! Glad you managed to get the DLA form off. Good luck with it :). I was on a course yesterday and there was a benefits adviser there so I was really fortunate and able to ask him to have a quick look at it. Hoping to post it off on Monday. Just posted a thread about cleaning up excrement...in desperate need of some ideas for distraction techniques! Ha, lovely!!
Yes, it does get too much doesn't it. I was really feeling quite calm yesterday after the course, then go to mum's to find her un-washed, dishevelled and with a pile of poo ingrained in the bathroom carpet! Oh well, such is life!!