Worried about John

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for your support, Jan, Sylvia, gigi & Margaret. No-one seems to be particularly worried about him but me. It's just fingers crossed at the moment.

Love,

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Hazel

SOrry to hear that John has not been too good again. I hope that you are feeling better though now.

I think that as we know our relatives best we can see every small change in them, which perhaps is not apparent even to the carers who see them everyday.

I know I was well aware of Mum's frailty of health and more accepting of it than a couple of her nurses and carers who kept trying to tell me at the turn of the year that she was eating and would be fine. I don't know if they were trying to ease me mind or if it was the way that they really felt. They did get a shock when she did pass away so maybe they truly believed it.

Luckily the home deputy never tried this and was as aware of the situation as I was. Perhaps we discussed it together often and she knew more of "Mum" becuase or this she also could see the change in Mum in the last year and the speed of decline.

It is so hard trying not to worry, because we love them

((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Mameeskye

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Hazel

I've been thinking about you this morning especially because it's so hot here which can make life very uncomfortable and I know, from your thread, that John is suffering at the moment.
I just want to add my good wishes to you today and hope that John is feeling somewhat more comfortable.

Love

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Hazel,

You are not alone in worrying about John, I'm worried about him and I'm sure other members of the "TP family" are worried about him too. You're obviously closest to him, and worry the most, but we're all in this together.

I think downpours/storms are forecast for later in the day, hope that applies also to Scotland. Let's hope a good downpour cools us all down and makes everyone feel better.

Much love

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Hazel,

I'm sorry to hear that John is unwell again the heat doesn't help his cause either. It's a pity that there isn't air conditioning at least it would help make things more comfortable for all the residents plus staff. I suppose management wouldn't warrant air conditioning because of the limited time it would be needed. Love Taffy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi everyone, your support is much appreciated, as ever.

John is beginning to look bad now, even the activities co-ordinator commented yesterday.

Middle son and partner came down yesterday, they've stayed the night and are sanding and treating the spars on my decking rail. They both thought John had gone downhill.

Taffy, I don't think air conditioning would be considered -- we get about six really hot days a year! Yesterday was baking, but John has the prime position in the lounge. They put his chair by the door, facing into the room so that they can monitir him, and he can see what's going on, when he's awake.

I'm going in at 10 this morning, because it's his shower day, and I want to see his heel. They tell me it's a lot better.

Love to all,

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hazel

I don't often post if I have nothing practical to say, but just have to send you a <<<HUG>>> at this very tough time for you.

I hope the heel infection is reduced, and John is a little better now it's cooled off a bit.

Regards

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi folks

I saw John's heel this morning, and it is much better, just two very small lesions and a lot of scar tissue surrounding them. The concern now is that the Biatain dressing is irritating the surrounding skin, which is quite red and sore-looking.

On the one hand, they don't want to discontinue the Biatain, which has worked wonders. On the other hand they don't want fresh lesions to develop, or we'll be back to square one. CN has put a protective dressing over the sore places, under the Biatain, and hopes that will work. But it may mean that the Biatain won't adhere properly.

The bad news is that it absolutely poured this morning just after I had posted, so I didn't get my lawns cut or my decking finished. Step-son and partner have gone home now, but promised to return to finish the job.

They took me out for dinner last night, and I've had a blinding headache all day. I don't know whether it's the thundery weather or the unaccustomed booze, but I can hardly see straight.

I've just had a phone call from a film company wanting me to take part in another documantary for BBC Scotland about person-centred care. Trouble is, I get the impression that they want it to be negative (sensational?), and we want a more balanced picture. I don't know how much control we'd have over the editing.

We'll see. They're coming down to talk to us in a couple of weeks time.

It's all go!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I’ve just been having a look at this thread. I can’t believe how awful I felt only a month ago. Luckily, we seem to forget the bad times and remember the good. :)

I’m tempting providence by posting positively, but things are so much better now. My infection has cleared up, and I’ve got so much more energy. I’ve just had another blood test for thyroid level, hopefully that is now sorted.

And John is better than he’s been for months. The lesion on his heel is almost closed, and he has no other infections at the moment. He’s quite bright and responsive, and I’m enjoying my visits. :)

I haven’t heard any more from the film company, so hopefully someone has knocked that on the head. I really don’t want to take part on national TV in a programme that knocks everything we’re trying to do.

The only downside is the weather. We’ve had rain almost every day for weeks, and it’s so depressing. I’ve given up on the garden for this year, it’s awash!

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Hazel

If the bad weather is your biggest gripe, then wonderful. :)
After all your worries of the past few weeks, what`s a few drops of rain?
I really do hope you`re not tempting fate and have a good spell for a while.
Love xx

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Just a thought ...

Just a thought, Skye, but has anyone ever mentioned to you seaweed-based dressings, which have managed to heal a massive leg ulcer here. (Sorry, can’t remember the name of them.)

That leg ulcer was about 4 inches by 4 inches in diameter, so perhaps far more widespread than a heel. But it was described to us as a complete tissue breakdown.

And then, the important thing we learned was that success was determined – in our case - by the way in which the ‘old’ dressing was removed. We had a wonderful “Tissue Viability Nurse” who then taught all the other nurses who were just ‘ripping off’ the old dressing and re-applying. But once they were shown how to remove and apply seaweed based dressing, it went smoothly thereafter. Not in our case connected with MRSA, but with an immune-system that was then fighting itself.

Just a thought – because I would like to think that there are many trained ‘Tissue Viability Nurse’ in our care homes. Who may be able to help you.

With apologies to any nurses reading who may not have contributed to the 'ripping off of dressings' and who may not have been trained to do dressing removal GENTLY.
I apologise for forgetting to remember those gentle nurses who may have been reading thus far!

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you JPG1. I've heard of seaweed being used in dressings, but I don't think they tried that. They've been using Biatain for several months, and that does seem to have done the trick. Once the lesion has completely closed, MRSA should be longer be a problem -- unless he develops further problems.

There isn't a tissue viability nurse in the home, but they call one in straightaway if they are at all worried. In fct they called her in on Friday to ask if they should discontinue Biatain, but she said carry on until the lesion has completely closed.

Sylvia, my fingers and everything else are firmly crossed!:D

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Hazel,

It's great to hear that things are improving for you both..I know you've not been too well yourself..and things always look worse when you're not 100%....

The only downside is the weather.

....September may be better....:rolleyes:

I agree...am still waiting for summer...:eek:

Love gigi xx

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
We had a wonderful “Tissue Viability Nurse” who then taught all the other nurses who were just ‘ripping off’ the old dressing and re-applying.
It is amazing how many Practice Nurses seem to be careless of fragile skin. Mum has had several blood tests in the past 3 years, and her skin is plainly VERY dry & fragile, but unless I stop them many nurses just use sticking plaster VERY FIRMLY, & it's only to hold on a little slip of cotton wool for an hour.

Ref.seaweed dressings, I found this link in case of interest:
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/1998/june/Alginates-FAQ/alginates-questions.html

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Hazel

That's good news indeed that John's heel in almost healed and there are no signs of infection at the moment. It sounds like you too feel better in yourself.

You deserve to savour these times and I hope you relish the relief that this must be. As for the rain, better to be raining on the outside than raining on the inside;) Sounds like you have a little sunshine on the inside at the moment.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Oh Lynne.......

It is amazing how many Practice Nurses seem to be careless of fragile skin.

I promise you this one was always very careful and gentle....:)

And still is......even though she's not "practising" any more...:D

Love gigi xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dearest Hazel, I am so pleased with your report today.

Tomorrow - well who knows. Actually helen sums it all up rather nicely, so I will borrow her words.

You deserve to savour these times and I hope you relish the relief that this must be. As for the rain, better to be raining on the outside than raining on the inside Sounds like you have a little sunshine on the inside at the moment.

My love, as always, to you and John. Take care now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix