Loving Lucy

WildAtlanticWay

Aug 25, 2017
Lucy is my mum. She’s 85 and we’ve lived together for 11 years. My daughters are both away, one in Toronto and one in Glasgow. My husband is very good with her and she adores him.
I first noticed mummy begin to change and start to ‘disappear’ about 5 years ago. I can see changes every month now. I’ve been teaching English full-time for many years but went part-time this year, just to manage better. I’ve now decided to resign at the end of the academic year and become mummy’s full-time carer.
She is unable to drive, cook, manage or understand time and money, read and she is losing her words. She was an English teacher herself and could recite Shakespeare for an hour! She is confused about underwear, day and night clothes and incontinence pads: I’ve found a few dish clothes in there- and the odd sock!
She is very content, and we laugh everyday. Even though she doesn’t go out - unless we take her, or occasionally, my brother - and she has no visitors.
I’ve only 4 and a half months of teaching left. I’m ready to leave. I’m happy.
But I am so exhausted. Everything drains me. I’m 51 and menopausal, so that helps - not! Mummy doesn’t want outside help but I’ve finally conceded that I need some so I’m about to introduce a carer for one hour a day over lunch time while I’m still in school. My husband was going home to help her with a hot meal, but he could only stay 10 minutes.
I’m tired. I’m really tired.
But, loving Lucy is a privilege. She knows me and she’s happy. I know this will change but I just wanted to put a post in here, just to share Lucy and her story.

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
Welcome to talking point Wild Atlantic - what a lovely and loving daughter you are - the love you have for your mother shines through your post. I do hope that having the help of the lunchtime carer works to your advantage - you might consider keeping this carer even when you retire to give you a little time off.
Its a hard job and a tiring one caring for someone fulltime, but its so lovely to hear that you are able to laugh with your mum each day - that is a really precious gift.

WildAtlanticWay

Aug 25, 2017
Welcome to talking point Wild Atlantic - what a lovely and loving daughter you are - the love you have for your mother shines through your post. I do hope that having the help of the lunchtime carer works to your advantage - you might consider keeping this carer even when you retire to give you a little time off.
Its a hard job and a tiring one caring for someone fulltime, but its so lovely to hear that you are able to laugh with your mum each day - that is a really precious gift.
Thank you, scattysue, your words are kind and very supportive. I feel your kind support.

WildAtlanticWay

Aug 25, 2017
This is Lucy, doing one of her favourite things and eating vanilla ice cream... straight out of the tub!

Attachments

• E1260B19-3046-4C3B-B0CA-E09A0D2F9126.jpeg
    E1260B19-3046-4C3B-B0CA-E09A0D2F9126.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 258

WildAtlanticWay

Aug 25, 2017
The day she ‘cooked’ her chopping board!

Attachments

• D9DCCECB-4523-46D3-9254-6EC95AF821BD.jpeg
    D9DCCECB-4523-46D3-9254-6EC95AF821BD.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 191

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
@WildAtlanticWay - I’m so sorry about how you feel. I know what you mean about tiredness & the menopause as my mum has dementia & is 89 & I’ve just turned 49 yesterday & the tiredness & aches are awful.

WildAtlanticWay

Aug 25, 2017
She can only read one word of this!! Awkward!!

Attachments

• DBF6DB77-FB8A-4393-8D4C-99F721137874.jpeg
    DBF6DB77-FB8A-4393-8D4C-99F721137874.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 180

WildAtlanticWay

Aug 25, 2017
@WildAtlanticWay - I’m so sorry about how you feel. I know what you mean about tiredness & the menopause as my mum has dementia & is 89 & I’ve just turned 49 yesterday & the tiredness & aches are awful.
Happy birthday for yesterday! I keep telling myself that exercise would help my energy levels, but am too knackered to get started!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Happy birthday for yesterday! I keep telling myself that exercise would help my energy levels, but am too knackered to get started!
I know that feeling. I’m tired & starting to retake my vitamin regime but it is the aching that is the worst thing. My knees are shocking but menopausal arthritis is a thing! Thank you for the birthday wishes.