Is Memantine helping mum

towergirl3

Oct 6, 2016
My mum is in the mid to later stages of dementia, last year she was started on memantine, 5mg increasing weekly to 20mg. There has been no improvement, in fact mum seemed more agitated so I lowered the dose to 10mg. She won’t sit still, has conversations with herself, constantly packing to go home?, she is up and down during the night wandering around the house talking to herself. She also takes Mirtazapine after tea. The memory clinic discharged her once she was put on the memantine so I don’t know who I can discuss these problems with. Don’t know if I should continue with the memantine and see if this improves, it’s really difficult trying to do what’s best for the person with dementia.Has anyone got similar experiences like this or can offer any advice or suggestions as I would be very grateful. I am beginning to think she might be better off all meds, so difficult.

Thankyou

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
You really need to speak to your Mum's GP as it's not a good idea to reduce/stop medication yourself without seeking medical advice. The GP may make a referral to the community mental health team for a review of your Mum and her medication.

towergirl3

Oct 6, 2016
You really need to speak to your Mum's GP as it's not a good idea to reduce/stop medication yourself without seeking medical advice. The GP may make a referral to the community mental health team for a review of your Mum and her medication.
Thankyou, I did ring the surgery yesterday but the earliest triage appointment they could offer was 23 feb, I am off to the surgery now in person to see if I can get anything earlier. Just seems that there is no one out there to talk to when you have a query or problem

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
I recommend that you ask for a referral back to the mental health team - they are the experts on medication of this sort. I spoke to mum's GP about possibly reducing Memantine as I thought it was making her unsteady on her feet, and the GP was happy to go along with this. However, when I mentioned it to the CPNurse, she immediately spoke to the consultant who was very strongly of the opinion that mum should continue with it as he felt that it was holding back the progression of the illness in other ways. Mum is also on an anti-psychotic which has worked wonders for her paranoid delusions but there may be other things that can help with general agitation.
Of course some people do react badly to memantine so state your case, but then be guided by the experts I would say.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
I agree with Ludlow and you should ask to speak to the psychiatrist there for advice on medication. It is trial and error as to what suits people and as the illness progresses, the medication may no longer be suitable or the dosage needs amending. My Mum takes memantine along with another drug (trazadone) and while it doesn't make her completely calm, it does make it possible for her to continue to be cared for at home. Sadly, along with everything else it is just a case of the carer having to push, push, push to get any help :rolleyes:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Even though she has been discharged, If you still have the contact details for Memory clinic, then call them. Afraid our experience with this drug was not good, we only got to week 3, consultant told me to stop.

towergirl3

Oct 6, 2016
I recommend that you ask for a referral back to the mental health team - they are the experts on medication of this sort. I spoke to mum's GP about possibly reducing Memantine as I thought it was making her unsteady on her feet, and the GP was happy to go along with this. However, when I mentioned it to the CPNurse, she immediately spoke to the consultant who was very strongly of the opinion that mum should continue with it as he felt that it was holding back the progression of the illness in other ways. Mum is also on an anti-psychotic which has worked wonders for her paranoid delusions but there may be other things that can help with general agitation.
Of course some people do react badly to memantine so state your case, but then be guided by the experts I would say.
Thanks for advice, I am going to ring the memory clinic tomorrow and see if they can advise