Care home resisting DST assessment

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
I've just requested a DST assessment via my mother's care home (nursing and residential). My reason for the request is that she seems to me to be ticking boxes in a range of domains. The care home was very unhappy with the idea of requesting one. One or two things that were said are worrying me:
  • I had to go through them to request them and it would rest on their professional judgement
  • The assessors will only go through their records and enter scores into their computer, and will not consider any other records, especially not my own notes
  • They will not look at any evidence prior to my mother arriving at the home 2 years ago
  • They will reluctantly request an assessment for funded nursing care, but the assessors may choose to do a DST if their funded nursing care assessment raises issues
The home clearly objects to my request. What I am wondering is if anyone can shed any light on why they would object? Apart from it involving them in a little work, I can't understand what the issue might be

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I think your Mother is self funding so it may be something as stupid as if she does get CHC funding the Home may not get the same kind of money. That's all I can think of.:confused:

As to your Bullet points....
1. Yes you do have to go through them but it is not down to them to decide.
2. Your notes are just as important.
3. I think the assessment will only focus on her needs now.
4. That seems to suggest they have agreed.

This may help with lots of links on the right hand side.......
http://www.wales.nhs.uk/continuingnhshealthcare

:)

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
I think your Mother is self funding so it may be something as stupid as if she does get CHC funding the Home may not get the same kind of money. That's all I can think of.:confused:

As to your Bullet points....
1. Yes you do have to go through them but it is not down to them to decide.
2. Your notes are just as important.
3. I think the assessment will only focus on her needs now.
4. That seems to suggest they have agreed.

This may help with lots of links on the right hand side.......
http://www.wales.nhs.uk/continuingnhshealthcare

:)
Thank you. I get a bit stressed by this sort of thing so I really value your input

Thania

Sep 4, 2017
Glasgow
As per our experience , we have my mother in law in the hospital 3 times last year, Social work, doctors told us she need 24/7 and she need to go a care home ( she is self funding) . It was a battle to have her back to her own house and prove she doesn't need 24/7 ( she still eat herself, walk, toilet) . My husband spoke with a lawyer and citizen advice , they told us is all about money, they want your mum out of the system. Anyway she is in 4 months living in her own house alone and she is doing well.

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
As per our experience , we have my mother in law in the hospital 3 times last year, Social work, doctors told us she need 24/7 and she need to go a care home ( she is self funding) . It was a battle to have her back to her own house and prove she doesn't need 24/7 ( she still eat herself, walk, toilet) . My husband spoke with a lawyer and citizen advice , they told us is all about money, they want your mum out of the system. Anyway she is in 4 months living in her own house alone and she is doing well.
I'm really glad she's doing well. I think I've got a battle ahead. When my Mum first moved there more than 2 years ago, initially on a temporary basis, I told the manager I was looking at moving her to sheltered accommodation with carer support or back home. She said then 'that'll last until the police bring her back' and her GP said she wasn't safe outside a care home. She hasn't wandered, but she's had episodes of aggressiveness and her cognition is very poor. I wish the CHC thing wasn't so subjective and designed to stop claimants

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Good to hear and long may it continue xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968