Need Some Advice

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Thought that I would let you know that Richard has been granted 4 days at a new day centre ( a council one) we visited and it was lovely, very light with plenty of space, with a lovely garden, and the key worker I spoke to seems to understand the issues with a dementia patient, more in tune I would say than the last place. I previously posted asking for advice (greatfully received) about his previous private day centre (supposed specilaist until some mild challenging behaviour occured - as explained in my previous postings).,
Going forward Richard started the day centre this week and all has gone well, and he seems happy so far, I am so pleased. I will add that Richard is fully funded as our income is low as I have had to give up work. I have now been told that Richard will have to contribute £4.50 per day for lunch and drinks (on the visit the key worker said there was a small charge which I replied that Richard ws fully funded) The issues I have are :-

The Day Centre called to say that Richard has paid for one day - ????? - I know he had some change in his pocket, but taking it from an Alzheimers patient doesn't seem right somehow.

They went on to say they will invoice me monthly for the meals going forward.

I emailed the social worker who said that the meals were free at the previous day centre as that was their policy, however the council's policy is that meals are paid for by the service user.

Richard has had a fincancial assessment for day care and is fully funded because of our low income.

The charge for a meal amounts to £72 per month. The problem is I do not have this extra cash to spare, also I am very careful and do not spend £4 each per day on food anyway. We eat healthily with careful management, I cook from scratch in large amounts, we eat well.

Social worker has told me to discuss it with the key care worker at the day centre, but I find that strange as the assessment was done by the social worker and the 'board'.I feel as though the social worker is just passing the buck.

If anyone out there can give me some advice (again) I would be grateful. I am willing to contribute something of course. Please be honest if you think I am being unreasonable. My daughter suggested sending him with sandwiches, but I can't bear the thought of him sitting alone eating when they're all having a hot meal together.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, I do know what it's like to have to make every penny do the work of three or four! But having said that, £4 seems very reasonable to me. I know it mounts up though.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
John went to a council-run Day Centre 5 days a week fully funded - the only exception was a daily charge for lunch of £3.40. He got breakfast for that, drinks during the day, a two course lunch and tea and biscuits in the afternoon. Sometimes when I paid a visit they fed me too for no extra charge. I thought it was incredibly reasonable to be honest - even £4.50 still is for what you're getting. Some lunch clubs charge more! I used to give them a cheque every few weeks or so.

Is Richard receiving Attendance Allowance and could it be paid from that? I'm not sure whether you can negotiate this charge or not - I've never heard anyone doing it but if you genuinely cannot afford it, speak to SS again - the day centre isn't the one making the rules.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Well, I do know what it's like to have to make every penny do the work of three or four! But having said that, £4 seems very reasonable to me. I know it mounts up though.
Yes I agree it is fairly reasonable to most I know, but the effect is that I will have to cut back on something but I don't know what as we live from month to month. It will mean that I can't take Richard out so often. Just feeling the utter unfairness as I had a well paid job (studied late in life and worked incredibly hard, as a lot of people do) before dementia descended. Thanks for your honest reply.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes I agree it is fairly reasonable to most I know, but the effect is that I will have to cut back on something but I don't know what as we live from month to month. It will mean that I can't take Richard out so often. Just feeling the utter unfairness as I had a well paid job (studied late in life and worked incredibly hard, as a lot of people do) before dementia descended. Thanks for your honest reply.
I know. Carers save the State literally billions of pounds, and do deserve a much better deal. Even here, hard as things are, I think full time Carers are treated better, financially.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
John went to a council-run Day Centre 5 days a week fully funded - the only exception was a daily charge for lunch of £3.40. He got breakfast for that, drinks during the day, a two course lunch and tea and biscuits in the afternoon. Sometimes when I paid a visit they fed me too for no extra charge. I thought it was incredibly reasonable to be honest - even £4.50 still is for what you're getting. Some lunch clubs charge more! I used to give them a cheque every few weeks or so.

Is Richard receiving Attendance Allowance and could it be paid from that? I'm not sure whether you can negotiate this charge or not - I've never heard anyone doing it but if you genuinely cannot afford it, speak to SS again - the day centre isn't the one making the rules.
Hello Beate, Yes Richard is receiving Attendance Allowance, and he does have his state pension, I know what you are saying and on the face of it I can use his AA for that, but the AA just goes in the pot for living expenses. I will probably make adjustments, but our/my quality of life seems to be getting worse. Having said that I am more than happy Richard is at a different day centre and am willing to make the adjustments.
I haven't been on the site for a few weeks to read your posts, hope you are well

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John pays £5 a day in one centre and £3.50 in the other. He is often taken out for lunch and presents and trips out are all covered from the lunch money. I think it is great value and John's AA pays for it but if you are strapped for cash then go back to SS and tell them. Are you getting all your entitlements - maybe you need someone to advise you on what can be claimed.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
£4.50 is very cheap! For many years I worked at a Day Care Centre and they were charging £6 for lunch and that was at least 8 years ago. Also before my Mum went into care she went to a Day Centre and paid £6.75 and considered that good value for a home cooked two course meal and drinks.

I have a feeling you may not be claiming what you are entitled to. Look into it! X

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
My husband goes to a day centre 2 and a half days a week. We are on a fairly modest income. But because we are mortgage free and my husband has a small works pension we have been assessed as self funding. We receive Attendance Allowance which we use towards the cost of the day centre which is £115 per week (£460 per month). So if I were you I would not mind too much at the cost

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
John pays £5 a day in one centre and £3.50 in the other. He is often taken out for lunch and presents and trips out are all covered from the lunch money. I think it is great value and John's AA pays for it but if you are strapped for cash then go back to SS and tell them. Are you getting all your entitlements - maybe you need someone to advise you on what can be claimed.
Yes it is good value no doubt. I claim 25% discount on rates, I receive carers allowance and Richard gets AA not sue if theres anything else to claim?

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
£4.50 is very cheap! For many years I worked at a Day Care Centre and they were charging £6 for lunch and that was at least 8 years ago. Also before my Mum went into care she went to a Day Centre and paid £6.75 and considered that good value for a home cooked two course meal and drinks.

I have a feeling you may not be claiming what you are entitled to. Look into it! X
Think I am claiming all that I am entitled to as in my previous post, thanks for the input.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
My husband goes to a day centre 2 and a half days a week. We are on a fairly modest income. But because we are mortgage free and my husband has a small works pension we have been assessed as self funding. We receive Attendance Allowance which we use towards the cost of the day centre which is £115 per week (£460 per month). So if I were you I would not mind too much at the cost
I do not mind the cost in principle, but I do still have a mortgage as I am considerably younger than Richard, which obviously makes a big difference to my paying abilities. Thanks for your reply.

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
I do not mind the cost in principle, but I do still have a mortgage as I am considerably younger than Richard, which obviously makes a big difference to my paying abilities. Thanks for your reply.

I used to work in MH at our day centre the service users had to pay for their lunches at that time as did the staff and that was council run, that was 12 years ago. Like everything else though they closed them down. Mental Health was always the Cinderella service sadly :(

Al_B

Jun 8, 2016
Manchester
Hi padmag
Sorry to hear about your problems. Just a couple of suggestions that you may not have thought about to reduce your outgoings.

I had to give up work to look after my wife. We still had a mortgage and I knew that we would really struggle for money. I consulted a financial adviser who said that we should be able to remortgage and reduce the monthly payments by extending the term. Have you considered going to a mortgage broker, financial advisor or building society to ask? Of course this will depend on your income. Citizens advice may be able to give you names to contact.

Or have you any insurance such as Critical Illness Cover that you can claim against? Luckily we had and the insurance paid off the mortgage.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Hi padmag
Sorry to hear about your problems. Just a couple of suggestions that you may not have thought about to reduce your outgoings.

I had to give up work to look after my wife. We still had a mortgage and I knew that we would really struggle for money. I consulted a financial adviser who said that we should be able to remortgage and reduce the monthly payments by extending the term. Have you considered going to a mortgage broker, financial advisor or building society to ask? Of course this will depend on your income. Citizens advice may be able to give you names to contact.

Or have you any insurance such as Critical Illness Cover that you can claim against? Luckily we had and the insurance paid off the mortgage.
I would consider that, but the mortgage is mine only, and I onlky have carers allowance, and on that basis I do not think I could extend the mortgage, anyway we use Richard's pension for the mortgage. Thanks for your help on this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins