Beaten by a Chest Infection

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
Having completed two stays in hospital wife came home (the second was unnecessary really), my wife who had Early Onset Dementia was released and came home on the 23rd of Dec, that following week up to the 1st of January I cared for her n fed her n carers popped in 3-4times a day to wash her/change her clothes n to change her incontinence pads. When she was released from hospital she had a cough, which was a croaky one, which one nurse said was probably a dry cough, n she needed to drink more water. All the time of my wife's return home, she still had this cough, my giving her cough medicine gradually eased the coughing for my wife till it was no longer croaky.
I noted that during the night of 31 Dec/1Jan that the cough totally disappeared and my wife slept more easily n peacefully. She slept a lot during that day (1Jan) probably because of no coughing anymore n despite my trying to wake her unsuccessfully at times to feed her; later that day after carers had popped in she developed another cough and her breathing sounded bad. Later when the carers popped in again they showed some concern at her breathing, they suggested maybe 1111 should be called but I said that I would do it if i thought it was getting worse. They then left, I became more concerned a short while after they had gone n I phoned her friend in London to listen to her breathing n she said I should call paramedics straight away which I was about do when there was a knock at the door, the carers had returned bringing another carer with them, once inside they revealed they had called paramedics as they were concerned about my wife's breathing.
Once paramedics arrived they worked on my wife setting up monitoring equipment n clearing her airways, they came to the conclusion that helping my wife could be better done in hospital, I was at first reluctant to have her go back into hospital having just come out but had to agree to them taking her in if it would help make it easier to get her better.
Once there the doctors treated her n gave her antibiotics to help fight the infection. During the night the doctor informed me that the antibiotics weren't working n they were just going to make her comfortable. Sadly that night my wife passed away on 2nd of Jan 2018. Her dementia no longer had a hold on her n she was now at peace.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am sorry to hear your wife has passed away and as many of us also say... your dearly loved wife is at peace from this wretched illness. Thoughts are with you

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
I am sorry to hear your wife has passed away and as many of us also say... your dearly loved wife is at peace from this wretched illness. Thoughts are with you
Thank you for your kind thoughts n condolences, I miss her very much, at least she is now free of it

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@technotronic I'm so very sorry to read this. Such a swift ending to your wife's illness might be merciful for her, but must be a dreadful shock for you. My condolences to you.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry to hear this, a swift ending gave your wife a merciful release, but means a big shock to your system. You must miss her very much

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@technotronic I'm so sorry to read of your sad loss. I'm glad your wife is now at peace and I wish you strength for the days and weeks to come.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
So very sorry about your Wife technotronic.

You must be missing her very much.
Sending love and condolences to you xxx