Need advice please

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Thankfully when our son asked him at lunchtime whether he still wanted to go to the solicitor, he'd forgotten all about it and said he couldn't be bothered. His is remembering about the doctor's appointment next week and isn't making any objections at the moment. The POA is underway - so at the moment the biggest negative is that he still wont eat a meal - he reckons that cups of tea and 6 biscuits a day will keep him alive for as long as he wants to be alive.
At a push, rich tea with a filling of peanut butter, meal replacement bars, breakfast bars, could be “fancy biscuits “

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
at the moment the biggest negative is that he still wont eat a meal - he reckons that cups of tea and 6 biscuits a day will keep him alive for as long as he wants to be alive.
Is it possible that he is eating outside the home - at a cafe or similar?

tbsmum

Jan 7, 2018
He just doesn't seem interested in food at all - since diner was a no-no I've tried at lunchtimes saying things like, 'I'm having a ham sandwich, do you want one' - but he just replies that I'm forgetting that he doesn't want to eat. He never goes out so can't be getting anything outside.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Maybe you could say - if you get a good result from the doctors I’m hoping you’ll get your appetite back !! He sounds like he can rationalise - so maybe it just temporary! All the best x

tbsmum

Jan 7, 2018
Well he totally surprised me on Saturday evening. I told him that it was mince and tatties for dinner and was he going to stop messing about and have some - and he said yes, but not too much. He reckoned that he'd lost the 6lbs that he wanted to lose and could start eating again. No mention of "I'll never eat another meal again before I die" etc.. I really can't decide if he's forgotten that, remembers but is just trying to save face, or is playing silly beggars for reasons known only to himself.

He went for his copd checkup today and was all smiles and charming - we'll see what tomorrow brings when he goes to see the doctor.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad he has started eating again
I find that my OH has obsessions that last 2 or 3 weeks and then they are over with and its on to the next thing......
I also find that his memories change, but he is convinced that he always thought that. Any attempt on my part to say "but you said ......" is seen as me trying to coerce him and tell him what to think.

tbsmum

Jan 7, 2018
The visit to the doctor went well thankfully. He'd obviously taken note of the letter I handed in and got straight to the point. He said the last blood test results (which were probably months ago) were really good and now that we knew he was fine physically it made sense to complete the MOT by checking him out mentally. An appointment is being made at the Old Age Psychiatry Dept of our local hospital and I'm relieved that it all went smoothly.

jeff@verynice

Jan 16, 2018
I'm so sorry to hear you are having these sorts of problems with your husband. I am concern with your Doctor i would ask for another Doctor because that is no help at all.They should of been more supported to you.

tbsmum

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry Jeff - I obviously didn't explain it well. Last week I saw a useless doctor so I made an appointment for us to see a specific doctor and had written to him explaining the situation and the purpose of our visit today. He handled it brilliantly, I felt that he had taken notice of me, my husband felt that he was making the decisions, and something is being done.

tbsmum

Jan 7, 2018
Update. A doctor from the memory clinic came out to do the test which wasn't successful because after the first few questions he said he'd like to arrange a scan. My husband obviously felt threatened by this and became uncooperative and surly. After a couple more questions the doctor decided to leave things for now and said he'd arrange for a couple of nurses to come and continue the test in a few weeks time - to which he agreed.

Our lovely doctor had told me that he strongly suspected frontal lobe dementia and what I'm finding strange is that, since he started eating again, except for some memory confusion and getting surly with the clinic doctor, Bob is back to his normal self - in fact a much improved self.

I understood that in early stage dementia signs can come and go, but two months of being cheerful is some sort of a record in our household. Is that normal in the early stages?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I understood that in early stage dementia signs can come and go, but two months of being cheerful is some sort of a record in our household. Is that normal in the early stages?
Yes it is. My OH still gets times when everything seems normal and a bit of me begins to wonder whether the diagnosis is right, or whether Ive been imagining things (though I know thats not true really) then the weird things start happening again and Im back in Wonderland!

tbsmum

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for your reply Canary. Although I'm enjoying the calmness I'm not expecting it to last - love your term 'Wonderland' - very descriptive.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
I agree with canary - so many times have I thought - “gosh have I just imagined this” - but no!! :mad:
However my husband is much better this month than 9 months ago , as delerium caused by heart problems clears up slowly- the underlying dementia is still there but much more manageable . :p
I think every illness causes some delerium in my husband’s case -(vascular dementia) so I have to get through the tougher times and trust in better times. Ultimately there is no escape but I get better at managing and so for many hours of many days, life is not too bad- and I think I am especially glad it isn’t me that has the dementia.