Dealing with pensions.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
Hi. My wife has early onset Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed about 3 years ago. Recently there has been a fast deterioration. My wife is now reaching 60 years and I have had several letters concerning her small pensions. She is unable to deal with these I have heard that I need to make myself an appointee. Is this right? Or is there another route I should take. This is the first time I have written on this forum so pardon my clumsy effort.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
An appointee will work with DWP for her state pension but is no use for any private pensions she may have. If you don't have an lpa for finance for her and she is no longer able to grant one because she's lost capacity, you will have to apply to be her deputy.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi and welcome

Do you have power of attorney for finance? Aka finance POA

If you do. Contact pensions department(s) and ask them for their process so you can deal with the pension(s)

Actually even if you don’t have POA it’s worth contact the pensions department(s) to find out what they require for you to deal with the pension(s)

Most are sympathetic, as long as you are able to speak to a senior person, in my opinion.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Marks Way
welcome to TP
you say your wife can no longer deal with the process herself - is she able to understand that you will sit next to her and fill in whatever forms are needed and then have her sign her name after you've done everything else - if so, to get the pensions set up, I'd do that - then organise Powers of Attorney asap if at all possible, Deputyship if not, and later contact the pension companies

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
She is unable to deal with these I have heard that I need to make myself an appointee. Is this right?
Hi Mark and welcome to TP,

Before I Got Power of Attorney for my Mom a simple letter signed by her allowing me to speak on her behalf was enough, with Aviva anyway.

Give each one a ring or look on line to see what their policy is.

:)

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for all the advice about pensions. The easiest way is to get a letter of authority signed by my wife. Some of the pension places were more helpful than most. Some gave the proverbial shrug of the shoulders. Thanks again.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
An appointee will work with DWP for her state pension but is no use for any private pensions she may have. If you don't have an lpa for finance for her and she is no longer able to grant one because she's lost capacity, you will have to apply to be her deputy.
Thank you.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Thanks for all the advice about pensions. The easiest way is to get a letter of authority signed by my wife. Some of the pension places were more helpful than most. Some gave the proverbial shrug of the shoulders. Thanks again.
But please still think about getting poa finance and health for your wife now...your wife only has to show she has sufficient understanding at the point of signing and if she had that to sign the pension authorisation etc...then she still has it for poa. As you have already discovered some institutions are more helpful than others but banks for instance if they know your wife gets to the stage of losing capacity they will freeze any accounts she has and that could make life very difficult for you to handle her affairs. I had both finance and health for dad...always thankful I got them when I did. Leave it and your wife's opportunity may go

Pam3482

Dec 30, 2017
I have already done a POA for finance for my OH but have not done one for health. Is it advisable to do both? I intend to do one for myself soon as well.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have already done a POA for finance for my OH but have not done one for health. Is it advisable to do both? I intend to do one for myself soon as well.
I had poa for both finance and health for dad. I had to use It on a couple of matters for dad so was glad I had it to speak on behalf of dad although some carers say they have never needed it. However I would say it is something you never knew you needed until you find out you do! With it Drs have to disclose and discuss your OH health with you if he loses mental capacity...without it they might but having poa health legally means they have to. You also have legal authority to make decisions for example about care homes as I was able to do for dad.I have done both for me as has OH

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
In my experience...

Had forms signed, in times when not considered needed, but did not feel the need to get it registered for health and welfare for mum.

Because it was not registered, I faced brick walls.... it felt to me that as soon as it was registered, the walls came tumbling down

No experience of health and welfare need to register for a spouse

Possibly, as a spouse, “those here to help” listen and accept without the need for poa

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes I think it's very advisable to have both because I was asked to produce both multiple times in my dealings with NHS and SS.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
We have never been able to get any disability funds from the UK for my husband who contributed for 37 years. Now he will reach retirement age 65 this year (he was diagnosised and has not worked since he was 49)
I will spare you the details of the years of letters and forms. You all know them. Yesterday, I was told there was nothing on the computers for my husband. Even though I had a letter in hand from them advising me of the estimated amount he should receive from them and for us to contact them after Dec 14 2017.
Sadly, I had tried to get my husband to speak with the young man directly that was a disaster. He is much worse now and when anxious could not read my prompts which I had prepared for him in advance. He got so upset.
I had read my prayer and meditatiions yesterday morning and did not get upset with the young man. I just accepted that the UK system failed again and all the papers I had sent and information provided was not to be found. The young man asked me for the addresses where I had sent the information luckily I copy all my correspondance with them since 2004 its a huge file.
The young man suggested I come to England and straighten out the situation. I kept my cool. We hung up.
A half an hour later he called back. He said he was amazed that he could find nothing and had spoken to his supervisors about the situation and they came up with a solution which he proposed sending me the documents again. I am to return them again but he is going to personally track the situation. Told me how to get in touch with him etc.
I am hopeful we will at last get to claim at least this state pension which my husband deserves and which we need to live on now. It will pay his health care insurance here in Switzerland, or part of it.
So, there are kind and human people working on the end of those telephone lines. I must remember that and treat them with respect.
I am so grateful for this young man's response to our situation. Fingers crossed this is the last hurdle.
I ticked a few things off the to do list yesterday. Trudging trudging trudging the road to happy destiny.

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
Pleas be aware that both are not always granted, for finance and for health, sometimes only one is, usually the finance one.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Pleas be aware that both are not always granted, for finance and for health, sometimes only one is, usually the finance one.

You seem to be referring to an application to be a deputy which you are quite correct is rarely granted for health and welfare. An lpa is a different animal - if a person chooses to make one assuming it is made correctly it just needs to be registered.

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
You seem to be referring to an application to be a deputy which you are quite correct is rarely granted for health and welfare. An lpa is a different animal - if a person chooses to make one assuming it is made correctly it just needs to be registered.
Well caught n noted thank you for that