Another stroke ...

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Mum clearly had another stroke in the night, cannot get her out of bed, left arm immobile again. Carer just arriving and have called GP for a home visit. No more hospital ...

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks all. Just had to write it down somewhere - it's dreadful how this disease is tormenting her. Actually, it's not as bad as the August one. She couldn't lift her left arm at all this morning but now can lift it a bit, though says it hurts, which is something new. She can swallow still, which is great - breakfast complete. Still waiting for GP though. Her breathing is a bit wheezy, but may be down to tiredness due to new stroke.

It feels like four steps forwards, and now three back. The last couple of days she was walking around the house independently with the frame, just with supervision to keep an eye on balance and edges of carpets, etc. This morning the carer and I tried to get her to stand on the rotunda, but she was too weak and was leaning heavily to the left. I think she'll be in bed for a few days and we'll see how it goes from there. Not sure if she will spring back a second time, that might be too much to ask for at 91.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Thanks all. Just had to write it down somewhere - it's dreadful how this disease is tormenting her. Actually, it's not as bad as the August one. She couldn't lift her left arm at all this morning but now can lift it a bit, though says it hurts, which is something new. She can swallow still, which is great - breakfast complete. Still waiting for GP though. Her breathing is a bit wheezy, but may be down to tiredness due to new stroke.

It feels like four steps forwards, and now three back. The last couple of days she was walking around the house independently with the frame, just with supervision to keep an eye on balance and edges of carpets, etc. This morning the carer and I tried to get her to stand on the rotunda, but she was too weak and was leaning heavily to the left. I think she'll be in bed for a few days and we'll see how it goes from there. Not sure if she will spring back a second time, that might be too much to ask for at 91.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
So sorry Marnie, take care. Hope the gp can reassure you. In her world, she has been very active for past few weeks. Worrying I know, but lets just hope it is all down to tiredness.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Two really big bouts of diarrhoea today - thank God the carer has been here to help me clean up both of those on the bed. I think it's all still clearing out after the constipation over Christmas and then the big doses of Laxido. Good that it's clearing, but my goodness it's hard to clean up now that we're having to work on the bed again. Of course the muscles relaxing after a stroke may be adding to that. Just hope she 'recovers' enough in the next few days for me to stand her on the rotunda again, otherwise I'm going to have to up the care calls again, which is a real bummer as I've just reduced them a little as I was coping better myself, in between them. It's the immobility and having to toilet her in bed which is the line between loads of carers, or fewer carers. And I am really, really hating too many calls, so as well as dealing with mum's dementia, the multiple calls really get to me too, but I appreciate that the calls are making the difference between me keeping mum at home, or having to consider nursing care somewhere. One of the carers pitched up last night with a stinker of a cold, so I've told the agency that if anyone turns up with so much as a sniff, they will be sent away.

Not feeling good today, head splitting. As the title of one of our popular threads says, I really have had enough of this .....

Thank you all for your support, as ever.

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
That's exactly what happened to mum after constipation and a few days on Laxido, then so much and so fast. Right thing to turn away any sniffling carers. Just before Christmas and having one visitor with the remnants of a cold I posted on my Facebook account for anyone with the slightest sniff or cough to stay away from my house and that because I was mum's main carer neither of us could go down with a cold. They stayed away!

How on earth are you coping with turning your mum to wash and change her?

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I've had the carer here to help me with two changes and washes today Tin (our regular one fortunately, she's been with us from the start, very good, very hard worker), and next call is due at eight thirty this evening - I might be lucky and not have to do any on my own today! I can do it, but it's hard with all the rolling and running back and forth around the bed. I was so pleased as we had 'moved on' from that stage with mum being able to walk again with a frame, but we're back to square one now it seems.

Just called doctors to check if someone is coming, and got an apology as it seems someone did not put the message on the right screen - today is definitely turning out to be a not so good day!

Tomorrow I just have evening calls as I had reduced the visits down due to mum's mobility returning, and even they were in jeopardy as it was due to be the carer with the heavy cold, who I have asked to stay away until she's fit. But, the agency have found two others to fill the slots, and they are both regulars. It will be easier once the diarrhoea has gone, but of course I don't know if that may be due to mum now being in a different state physically?

Please, please let me at least be able to stand her so that I can change her and wash her.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I've had the carer here to help me with two changes and washes today Tin (our regular one fortunately, she's been with us from the start, very good, very hard worker), and next call is due at eight thirty this evening - I might be lucky and not have to do any on my own today! I can do it, but it's hard with all the rolling and running back and forth around the bed. I was so pleased as we had 'moved on' from that stage with mum being able to walk again with a frame, but we're back to square one now it seems.

Just called doctors to check if someone is coming, and got an apology as it seems someone did not put the message on the right screen - today is definitely turning out to be a not so good day!

Tomorrow I just have evening calls as I had reduced the visits down due to mum's mobility returning, and even they were in jeopardy as it was due to be the carer with the heavy cold, who I have asked to stay away until she's fit. But, the agency have found two others to fill the slots, and they are both regulars. It will be easier once the diarrhoea has gone, but of course I don't know if that may be due to mum now being in a different state physically?

Please, please let me at least be able to stand her so that I can change her and wash her.
99.9% sure that diarrhoea is down to Laxido, at least that is how it has been with my mum At one point I went through a weeks supply of pads in 2 days! I put mum to bed wearing a long sleeve top only, with the usual amount of pads and knickers and gaffer taped a few disposable sheets to her bed.

Is your mum's arm a little more mobile now? I suppose like us there will be no gp visits over the weekend.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Yes Tin, it must be the mega dose of Laxido that was given over the two days to clear the constipation/impactation. I did think that there was very little coming out, compared to what went in, well, it's coming out now!

Just dealt with bout 3 of the day on my own. The sheet and mum's nightie are a bit wet in places but will have to wait for the 8.30pm call as cannot do it myself. Doc called and said there is nothing to be done re the stroke (which I expected), but has prescribed a 'gentler' antibiotic for me to have for use for any future urine infections. Wish someone had prescribed this originally!

I will try again tomorrow morning to see if mum can sit up in bed and perhaps stand on the rotunda with my help, using her right arm. No idea how this stroke has affected her left leg yet.

Head really pounding now!!!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Yes Tin, it must be the mega dose of Laxido that was given over the two days to clear the constipation/impactation. I did think that there was very little coming out, compared to what went in, well, it's coming out now!

Just dealt with bout 3 of the day on my own. The sheet and mum's nightie are a bit wet in places but will have to wait for the 8.30pm call as cannot do it myself. Doc called and said there is nothing to be done re the stroke (which I expected), but has prescribed a 'gentler' antibiotic for me to have for use for any future urine infections. Wish someone had prescribed this originally!

I will try again tomorrow morning to see if mum can sit up in bed and perhaps stand on the rotunda with my help, using her right arm. No idea how this stroke has affected her left leg yet.

Head really pounding now!!!
Time to take your own pain killers now Marnie.