A festive thank you

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear All

I have posted several queries on threads this year and received very helpful replies and advice. I have also read many other threads. Being fairly new to a caring role this has been initially an upsetting year and one to try and learn as much as possible. Some people are in a far worse position than myself and this forum is odd in that very personal issues are discussed with people you never meet.

My mother and me will be having a very quiet Xmas season on our own. There are no real helicopters in my family, but siblings have families and lives’s to get on with. I have very few Xmas cards to write and then a thought struck me. There are people on this forum who have tried to help me with my queries, put my mind at relative rest on certain points. I have never met them and cannot send a card. However I can wish them a special festive season.

To varying degrees we all share similar problems and frustrations. The help and support shown on this forum is a real eye opener. On that basis I would just like to wish everyone reading this thread a very good festive season. We do not meet, but we are joined together by love for those closest to us, struck down by a terrible illness. I do not need to repeat the problems, frustrations and heart ache that can produce. But I can genuinely say thank you for welcoming new people onto this forum, helping with replies and being open on what is a very personal matter. Thank you.

mjw1304

Oct 9, 2017
I echo that Whisperer! I joined a few months ago and although I rarely post, I read several times a day and have gained so much from knowing I am not alone and that my issues with mum are small in comparison to what some are going through. I feel so much stronger through what I have learned here and know that as time goes on I will value this forum more and more.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Xmas.jpg

This is the card I sent out last year, so I'll post it for you and everyone on TP. Hope you have a good festive season @Whisperer.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
What a lovely, thoughtful post Whisperer.

I am new to posting but have been reading for a few years now and the advice here is priceless.

I wish you and your Mother a very peaceful, happy Christmas and strength and best wishes for the new year xxx

Thank you nae sporran, lovely card xxx

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Dear All

I have posted several queries on threads this year and received very helpful replies and advice. I have also read many other threads. Being fairly new to a caring role this has been initially an upsetting year and one to try and learn as much as possible. Some people are in a far worse position than myself and this forum is odd in that very personal issues are discussed with people you never meet.

My mother and me will be having a very quiet Xmas season on our own. There are no real helicopters in my family, but siblings have families and lives’s to get on with. I have very few Xmas cards to write and then a thought struck me. There are people on this forum who have tried to help me with my queries, put my mind at relative rest on certain points. I have never met them and cannot send a card. However I can wish them a special festive season.

To varying degrees we all share similar problems and frustrations. The help and support shown on this forum is a real eye opener. On that basis I would just like to wish everyone reading this thread a very good festive season. We do not meet, but we are joined together by love for those closest to us, struck down by a terrible illness. I do not need to repeat the problems, frustrations and heart ache that can produce. But I can genuinely say thank you for welcoming new people onto this forum, helping with replies and being open on what is a very personal matter. Thank you.
Have a calm and peaceful day no matter what you do .
What a kind and thoughtful thing to do .
I like you will be with my husband alone for the first time ever ,but it is what it is .xxmuch love

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Whisperer, you are so right!

I have been more honest on here than I dared with my nearest and dearest and feel it's always a place I can come to to share my worries, ask for advice or simply swop stories. I am so grateful for it.
Christmas is a difficult time for lots of people so let me say I hope it passes quickly, uneventfully and that some happy moments can be had over the festive period for all of us. X

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Thank you Whisperer, you have expressed this so much better than I could have done.
I too am new here and so have been reading and learning from others experiences and the wise replies given.
It's impossible to write just how much I appreciate the time people are giving to help strangers through a frightening time in their lives and how much the insights into what may though hopefully may not be coming my way.

Thank you to all who post on here

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Thank you Whisperer for your good wishes and I wish everyone on TP a really Happy Christmas. TP is somewhere I have found I can let of steam when needed and I have also learned so much from everyone. Maybe we are all 'givers' - partly because of what we do; I know I have developed as a person as a result of care giving and also from all the knowledge that is on this site.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
A Merry Christmas to you Whisperer and to each and everyone of you.
I have been a member of TP for over 4 yrs.
I like the relative anonymity of TP, and and how everyone is straight up and tells it like it is, warts & all.
I’d like to thank all for answering my questions and complete ramblings too.:)
I hope she doesnt mind me saying so but College Girl and I have been emailing one another, as we have very similar life circumstances, dementia aside
Even distance ( I’m from New Zealand) knows no boundaries, so thanks again to TP :)

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Thanks Whisperer for such a good post - I echo your thanks too to everyone who posts on this board - the help and reassurance and advice that I have received over the past few years, and this year especially have been invaluable. There's more practical information about dealing with PWD on here than in hospitals or from doctors or Social Services anyone else in my experience. Thanks and Seasons Greetings to all.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thank you @Whisperer for such a lovely thoughtful post. Also @nae sporran for the beautiful Christmas card and good wishes.

I found TP seven and a half years ago, after about 10 years of life with this profoundly destructive illness, dementia, and it saved me when I was fast approaching cracking under the strain. The isolation, and more...

I cannot add more than has been said about this unique forum, can only echo everything you have each said better than I could. Thank you.

I wish everyone as good a Christmas as is possible in their respective situations. That does sound somewhat lame, but I sincerely hope somewhere over the festive season there can be good moments and a sense of peace.

Loo xxx

Last edited:

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Thank you @Whisperer for such a lovely thoughtful post. Also @nae sporran for the beautiful Christmas card and good wishes.

I found TP seven and a half years ago, after about 10 years of life with this profoundly destructive illness, dementia, and it saved me when I was fast approaching cracking under the strain. The isolation, and more...

I cannot add more than has been said about this unique forum, can only echo everything you have each said better than I could. Thank you.

Dear All

I wish everyone as good a Christmas as is possible in their respective situations. That does sound somewhat lame, but I sincerely hope somewhere over the festive season there can be good moments and a sense of peace.

Loo xxx
Dear All

Happy Holiday Season to all my TP friends.
Many thanks for your lovely season greetings Whisperer and to all our friends out there on TP. I live in Switzerland and could not have survived without the UK Alzheimers support...I have used the hotline in times of crisis and Talking Point almost daily. I joined in 2011 and I am so grateful for the support and advice I have been given here. Its been a lifesaver for me. I will be out singing carols for Alzheimers with my singing ensemble on Saturday. This is an idea I got off this website the first year I started using TP. The money raised has made the local Alz chapter aware of my husband and I. And its helps us to feel we useful and that we are still contributing in some small way. There are lots of good ideas for service and lots of help with daily living on this website and here on Talking Point. And most importantly, friends who are living the experience.