Winter fuel allowance

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
Just received a letter from DWP as Mum's attorney informing that mum will get the shared rate of the winter fuel allowance of £150, instead of the usual £200 - I expect this is because she now resides in a nursing home!! So, as a self funder, she already contributes more than her fair share to the home's fuel bills, and now she has £50 less to do so!!. Unbelievable.

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
Just checked online, and it turns out that Mum would have been entitled to £300 this year as she was 80 in September - had she not been unfortunate enough to need nursing care.

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
Meant to post this thread in a different forum, as you might have gathered ! Intended it to go into the forum Middle to Later Stages. Can someone assist?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Yes I felt that too for dad ... a resident is still through fees having to pay for fuel as an elderly person but there it is.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I always felt it strange that Mom still got the allowance even when she moved into a NH.o_O

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
I always felt it strange that Mom still got the allowance even when she moved into a NH.o_O

Pete, it's a universal benefit for pensioners of a certain age - had no idea until today that it was reduced for those in care settings.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
I'm not 100% sure it is entirely the move into care that has caused the reduction. I saw my Dad's letter earlier (living at home with Mum, no dementia involved) and his was at the lower £150 rate. I think there must be some change if there is more than one person living in the house due the fuel allowance.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I saw my Dad's letter earlier (living at home with Mum, no dementia involved) and his was at the lower £150 rate. I think there must be some change if there is more than one person living in the house due the fuel allowance.

Yes,
one person aged 80 in house £300 - got letter today for my £300
two people aged 80 in house, £150 each
logic says 20 residents all aged 80 in care home, £15 each!!!!!

Adjust amounts for people aged 65 to 79.

2017-11-21_154611.png

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Pete, it's a universal benefit for pensioners of a certain age - had no idea until today that it was reduced for those in care settings.
I do realise what the benefit is for and that it is reduced when entering a CH.

I still find it strange that it continues to be paid to those that enter care as it is paid to the individual and does not have to go to the CH.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum is in an assisted living/sheltered extra care flat, so gets the full £300, however her annual utility bills for water, electricity and gas are less than this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I still find it strange that it continues to be paid to those that enter care as it is paid to the individual and does not have to go to the CH.

I also find it strange however on thinking about it I'm not too sure.
On first thoughts they could filter out people who they knew had a permanent address as a care home in September for the next years non-eligibility.
How do they know that 'Valley Grange' is a care home?
In my experience the various DWP departments don't always share info - confidentiality?
Maybe a decision was made that it was not worth the hassle.

Digressing a bit, up to 2015 all European expats received the WFP.
It was decided to compare the winter temperatures in various countries with that of SW England.
Expats in several countries lost the payment, for all except France the decision was clear cut.
France however included Mayotte (Comoros), Guadeloupe, Réunion, French Guyana and Martinique and WFP was withdrawn even though mainland France has a lower winter temperature than SW England.

If withdrawal of payment of WFP to residents in care homes was easy I feel it might have happened in 2015.

More digression
People receiving certain benefits including AA and CA should get a Christmas Bonus, I also get one because I receive a State Pension
https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
I do realise what the benefit is for and that it is reduced when entering a CH.

I still find it strange that it continues to be paid to those that enter care as it is paid to the individual and does not have to go to the CH.[/QUOTE
Why strange, Mum's care and associated bills, utilities still apply, and she pays almost £3,000 per month for that care including bills. The nursing home she resides in do not breakdown her care/board costs. It could be the case that others with whom she shares the utility bills are fully funded by the LA or get CHC and still get £150 winter fuel allowance too, so Mum shoulders a disproportionate share of that cost too.
I don't get your point- care for those with dementia is not free. My Mum's name may not be on the utilities bills but she is still paying for her fuel bills!! Dear God, imagine the windfall if it were to go directly to the care institutions, and surely they have factored this annual payment into their calculations. It is in the public domain what the state pension, AA contributions and the winter fuel allowance are.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan